Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Without Toyota there would likely be no Subaru . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 07:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Without Toyota there would likely be no Subaru . . .

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Toyota Essential To Subaru Growth

Independence will mean some borrowing.
by Paul A. Eisenstein (2007-04-11)

Without Toyota there would likely be no Subaru, the smaller Japanese automaker's new CEO acknowledged during an interview with TheCarConnection.com. But don't expect Subaru to become little more than another Toyota division, stressed Ikuo Mori.

The automotive arm of Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries has some big ambitions, underscored by a series of significant product launches at the New York International Auto Show, including a restyled Tribeca crossover vehicle and the next-generation WRX. Both models underscore what Fuji CEO Mori described as Subaru's increasing "focus on Southern California."

But the U.S. , overall, is the carmaker's most important market and, if Subaru meets its goals, will see sales surge 15 percent over the next three years, from 200,000 to 230,000. In turn, that should help boost global volume to 635,000 during the same period.

Getting there won't be easy, Mori acknowledged, in an era of increasing competition. Part of the challenge is to clearly define what Subaru stands for, what the company describes as the "Subaru experience." Ironically, to achieve that goal, Fuji will be increasingly reliant on its ally, Toyota.

That partnership was launched last year after Subaru severed ties with General Motors. "The reason we stopped that alliance with GM was because of their own difficulties," said Mori, adding "the result were not good with GM."

Sources tell TheCarConnection.com that the two former partners simply couldn't come to terms on a variety of potential product programs. At one point, for example, GM considered using a Subaru platform and its well-respected boxer engine, for the Pontiac Solstice. In the long run, the U.S. maker developed its own small platform and turned to an existing GM engine.

The collapse of the General Motors deal left Fuji wondering whether it could survive on its own, or would need "to make a new alliance," said Mori. "In the long term, we think it would be difficult to survive by ourselves without the Toyota alliance."

That new partnership has already begun to pay off. The bigger maker, desperate for more production capacity to supply a hungry U.S. market, has begun sourcing Camry sedans from the Subaru plant in Indiana . The factory was originally built in partnership with Isuzu, which later abandoned passenger car production and pulled out of the deal, leaving Fuji/Subaru with a sorely underutilized plant.

Toyota will likely provide some product for Subaru, in the long run. And it will also help expand the smaller maker's powertrain lineup. Subaru has abandoned its own hybrid-electric vehicle program and will instead use Toyota technology, Mori noted.

"We are a small player and cannot focus on many projects," he noted. "So we will focus on our core…and draw from Toyota elsewhere."
source : thecarconnection
Old 04-13-07, 07:46 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

IS it just me or have the WRX's gotten uglier and uglier? I think that the first gen WRX by far looks the best, and the one after that lost touch, but still kept somewhat a similar look. But this one just killed it; looks like a done up legacy.
Old 04-13-07, 01:26 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
At one point, for example, GM considered using a Subaru platform and its well-respected boxer engine, for the Pontiac Solstice. In the long run, the U.S. maker developed its own small platform and turned to an existing GM engine.
Wow, the Solstice's weakest points probably would have been addressed right here.
Old 04-13-07, 01:28 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The styling looks too bland, I thought it was a Corolla at first sight.
Old 04-13-07, 01:38 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHHH no more frameless windows?
Why is everyone getting rid of them??
Old 04-13-07, 01:47 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I hate them. They are so awfully noisy.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I agree, looks like a Corolla. It's beginning to grow on me though.
Old 04-13-07, 02:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ugly Suba it is....
Old 04-13-07, 04:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had covered the badge and PS'd out the hood scoop and told me it was the new Corolla S, I would've believed you.
Old 04-13-07, 04:48 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuan92129
toyota has a thing against frameless windows. lawlz.
Old 04-13-07, 04:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember the frameless windows on the 2 ES fondly.

As for the new WRX, that pic...for some reason, replace the Subaru logo and it reminds me of a Corolla. I guess that's an improvement of sorts.
Old 04-13-07, 05:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I will agre this new Impreza design is better than the last interpretation than this missing middle tooth action below.

Old 04-14-07, 03:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Who cares whether it looks like a Corolla or not? (Same with the VW Jetta). IMO it is the best-looking Impreza yet, and light-years ahead of the Alfa-wanna-be front end of the last one. Same with the new Tribeca.
Old 04-14-07, 05:38 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who cares whether it looks like a Corolla or not? (Same with the VW Jetta). IMO it is the best-looking Impreza yet, and light-years ahead of the Alfa-wanna-be front end of the last one. Same with the new Tribeca.
I don't agree on best Impreza yet but I do agree it's way better than the last one.
Old 04-14-07, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I don't agree on best Impreza yet but I do agree it's way better than the last one.
OK...your opinion noted....and respected.

It's no surprise that one reason the last-generation Tribecas and Imprezas looked like redone Alfa Romeos was that Subaru hired one of Alfa's chief stylists away from them. Another reason was that the round center part of the grille and the two slightly angled side-grilles were meant to give the impression of an airplane and recall Subaru's past heritage in aircraft.
Old 04-14-07, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
+1. Too bland. Seems like with this and Tribeca, Subaru has entered the witness protection program.

Quick Reply: Without Toyota there would likely be no Subaru . . .