Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SCION's new ad: "Just as hideous as it used to be."

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 01:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default SCION's new ad: "Just as hideous as it used to be."

Scion casts Net for edgy young dudes

TORRANCE, Calif. — Please don't read this. It's probably not meant for you.

Not unless you're a young man with an artistic bent, in which case Toyota (TM) is fairly sure you have already tripped across one of its edgy Internet ads, cryptic movie trailers or other odd marketing placements for the redesign of its boxy Scion xB that goes on sale next week.

Toyota is actively trying to isolate Scion messages from the tragically unhip by relaunching the xB without any advertising on television or in mainstream publications.

Auto industry executives say such a move is highly unusual. The only other recent example was in 2000 when Volvo tried an online-only approach to launch a sedan at the height of dotcom mania.

"It's a brilliant and gutsy stroke," says consultant Gordon Wangers about Toyota's ad strategy. "It gives them credibility in some regard with the counterculture."
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Toyota | Volvo | TM

Not that Toyota thinks it needs the cred. From Scion's beginning, it has tried to tightly court a single, narrow demographic: male urban trend setters, ages 18 to 35. The belief is that those guys' street cred will pull in customers of all ages. Women, too.

Hence, the online advertising at the expense of TV and print. "Young men spend more time online than they do watching TV," says Scion's boomer-age chief, Mark Templin.

But entirely shutting off the mainstream is a radical notion. Former Hyundai Motor America CEO Bob Cosmai, now a consultant, says medium-sized automakers may spend up to $50 million to launch a vehicle, with the bulk going to TV and print. Even the original xB, the toaster-shaped van that has come to define the brand, had at least some TV advertising behind it when it launched in 2003. And Toyota has set an ambitious target for sales of the shapelier new xB: 42,500 this year and 60,000 next year.

Toyota tried to whip up grassroots anticipation in December by inviting 300 owners, Scion club members and selected alternative-press reporters for a private showing of customized versions of the new vehicle, two months before the official unveiling at the Chicago Auto Show.

Then the Scion team followed up in February by launching a website, Want2BSquare.com as the centerpiece of its teaser campaign. Movie trailers, posters and billboards pointed viewers to the site, filled with video content and games, without giving away that it was to promote a Scion.

Scion will have billboards in urban areas as part of the xB launch that poke fun at its polarizing looks. One, for instance shows an xB with messages on either side. One says, "Just as gorgeous as it used to be." The other says, "Just as hideous as it used to be."

But Templin says the goal was to design a billboard campaign that's "almost invisible to the mainstream." Mom, dad and grandpa may see the board, but the message won't stick. Young men will think it's cool.

Likewise, Scion is becoming more selective about the Internet sites on which it chooses to advertise. The popular, youth-oriented personal page site MySpace.com no longer ranks because it "is way too mainstream" now for Scion, Templin says. Instead, Scion buys placement on sites like Second Life, in which visitors assume a character as they navigate through a digital landscape.

In 2000, Volvo put its entire ad budget for the launch of the S60 sedan into a campaign on America Online. Spokesman Soren Johansson says it was a success, but AutoPacific consultant Jim Hall remembers otherwise. "They thought they could do it online, and it died the death of a thousand razors," Hall says.

Toyota, he says, can make a success of its unconventional campaign because it's not expecting to sell huge volumes by taking the exclusivity approach.

Indeed, Scion second-in-command Steve Haag says: "Could we sell more cars tomorrow if we put an ad in Newsweek and USA TODAY? Yeah, we probably could, but that's not why we're here."

Templin says the strategy is in line with the Scion brand's goal of taking risks, even if it means occasionally falling flat on your face.

"Someone asked me the other day (what) I wanted to do this year, and I said 'I want to fail more.' "
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ion-usat_N.htm
Old 04-28-07, 01:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting twist on Scion's marketing, and it will be interesting to see how well it works. It's refreshing that Toyota is willing to take such big risks with Scion. Most other automakers would never take such risks, even if it was a youth brand.

I am still hoping that Scion one day will come Canada, and not be just an exclusive brand for the US. Scion could easily become very popular here in Canada.
Old 04-28-07, 01:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The New xB Teaser Website

That is one freaky website...
Old 04-28-07, 01:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I too have visited that website. It's almost shocking that such a strange website is associated with an automaker.
Old 04-28-07, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

60k in full year? they will double that number if they have the supply...
Old 04-28-07, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I am still hoping that Scion one day will come Canada, and not be just an exclusive brand for the US. Scion could easily become very popular here in Canada.
The Toyota Yaris, which IS available in Canada, has the same platform, drivetrain, and even the same goofy center-dash gauges as the Scion xA and xB.
http://www.toyotanation.com/yaris/
Old 04-28-07, 02:38 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full kit, dropped, on rims... eww... Xbox still...
Old 04-28-07, 02:45 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I like it. And I think the advertisement is perfect... it got us talking about it... good bad or indifferent. Just think about all the plain jane ads that are out there that we never talk about... Good job.
Old 04-28-07, 02:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I have no idea what the hell Im looking at on that site.
Old 04-28-07, 03:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I think I hate every single thing about Scion, the cars, the advertising, the styling. Scion's entire raison d'etre is ridiculous
Old 04-28-07, 04:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Toyota Yaris, which IS available in Canada, has the same platform, drivetrain, and even the same goofy center-dash gauges as the Scion xA and xB.
http://www.toyotanation.com/yaris/
What I meant was that I wanted to actually have the funky Scion styling, and that it would be a good move for Toyota to offer Scion here, complete with the strange marketing, and extensive customization. I'd rather pay a bit more for a new xB or new xD than a Yaris. With Scion, you're getting some unique styling, some great standard features and equipment, including a Pioneer audio system, and the new Scion cars all have a better engine than the Yaris' 1.5L.

The new xD has that sweet 1.8L ZR engine, and the new xB gets the 2.4L AZ engine. With the xB, you now have the option of adding a supercharger, just like on the tC.

Having the Scion brand fully in Canada would get a lot of kids to drive Scions instead of Civics. Virtually all the modified cars, at least in and around Toronto are Civics. There is no variety here in terms of modded cars. Bringing over Scion would add more variety, plus it would make Toyota more credible amount young people.
Old 04-28-07, 04:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I think I hate every single thing about Scion, the cars, the advertising, the styling. Scion's entire raison d'etre is ridiculous
If you are an older buyer, Scion purposely wants you to ignore or to hate Scion, because that tends to make it cooler among young people, and tends to get younger people interested in Scion.
Old 04-28-07, 05:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

The product need to polarize people. It's either really ugly or it looks good.
Old 04-28-07, 06:19 PM
LexFather

I can appreciate them admitting its ugly to some people and gorgous to some. We have too many car makers who's arrogance is stated by their design team "we are just too advanced" or "people don't understand it yet".

No its just ugly to some and its gorgous to others.

Brilliant!

Old 04-28-07, 06:23 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If you are an older buyer, Scion purposely wants you to ignore or to hate Scion, because that tends to make it cooler among young people, and tends to get younger people interested in Scion.
I'm 23 and I have a ton of disposable income. I'm exactly the kind of buyer Scion is looking for

I honestly don't know any young males that want a modified Toyota Echo that looks like a delivery van. Not to mention that the marketing is obnoxious.

It might just be my friends and I, but every guy my age loves power and sleek styling. So I have no idea what kind of person would buy a Scion. No offense to those who have one, but I'm content enough with my Corvette, which is basically the polar opposite of a Scion

Quick Reply: SCION's new ad: "Just as hideous as it used to be."