Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cop cut my tint!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 06:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Yes, *help protect* your property, as long as they are notified of the crime as it's happening. After the crime has already been comitted, what do you want them to do?

They'll be interested in finding the criminal, not your car. That's between you and your insurance company.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were special units, whose job it is to track down and handle car thieves (among other things). But again, they're after the thieves, not your car. That's between you and your insurance company.
Right, but this is exactly why I believe law enforcement is utterly useless. If I see the crime happening, I don't need to rely on police to help me, I'd much rather take matters into my own hands and hang these thieves on a nearest lightpole. But after the crime has already been comitted, it is the police's responsibility to investigate the crime. I understand they may not give a flying crap about Och's Oldsmobile Calais, but the Oldsmobile Calais might be more important to Och than a few stolen songs to RIAA. If they find and prosecute music downloaders on RIAA's request, they should damn well find and prosecute the people that stole Och's Oldsmobile Calais.
Old 02-08-07, 06:35 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Good point. They should still keep an eye out for these things though. If a car was reported stolen and it got a ticket on it, you'd think they'd check the plates or something to see if there are any other reports on the vehicle. I do agree that you can't spend a millenia on one stolen car.
Absolutely, as long as the car had been reported stolen at the time the parking ticket was written. And also depends on where the car was parked. If it was parked in a downtown area, and a meter maid issued the ticket, do they even run plate numbers, or do they just write out a ticket and move on to the next car?
Old 02-08-07, 06:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
If I see the crime happening, I don't need to rely on police to help me, I'd much rather take matters into my own hands and hang these thieves on a nearest lightpole. But after the crime has already been comitted, it is the police's responsibility to investigate the crime. I understand they may not give a flying crap about Och's Oldsmobile Calais, but the Oldsmobile Calais might be more important to Och than a few stolen songs to RIAA. If they find and prosecute music downloaders on RIAA's request, they should damn well find and prosecute the people that stole Och's Oldsmobile Calais.
Fine, but again, they're after the person(s) that stole Och's Calais, not the actual car. That's between you and your insurance company.

I guess in the end, the police have to balance their time between the stuff they know that they can handle and solve, with the rest of the stuff that goes on which requires their attention, like accidents, assaults, etc. If someone was holding you at gunpoint while another person raped your wife, and your son called 911, would you want to hear "sorry, we can't help you now, we're trying to find someone's stolen car"?

Originally Posted by Och
Right, but this is exactly why I believe law enforcement is utterly useless.
I don't see how anyone could make that statement.
Old 02-08-07, 06:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Absolutely, as long as the car had been reported stolen at the time the parking ticket was written. And also depends on where the car was parked. If it was parked in a downtown area, and a meter maid issued the ticket, do they even run plate numbers, or do they just write out a ticket and move on to the next car?
My car was reported stolen several days before the parking ticket was written. It was stripped and abandoned in a middle of a residential block that has street cleaning once a week - this is when the ticket was written, because the vehicle wasn't moved for street cleaning. It was probably the only vehicle on that block that day, it doesn't have tints so you can clearly see inside, and my interior was stripped completely - seats, center console, gauge cluster, etc. And these idiots slapped a parking tickets, and attached a sanitation notice to my sideview window, which I had to struggle with a heatgun for two hours to remove.

In fact these meter maids prey on stolen cars that can be sitting in the same spot for months, and keep writing parking tickets. I guess they have a quota to fill, so they will never report a car that appears to be stolen. I remember when I was a kid, I used to walk from school, and every day I would pass this car that always had a galore of parking tickets on it. It was parked in the same spot for month, receiving parking tickets on daily basis. I told my parents about it, they called the police, and what do you know, next day the car was gone. I guess it was stolen, but the meter maid was preying on it. Now, why do we need such useless law enforcement?
Old 02-08-07, 06:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Fine, but again, they're after the person(s) that stole Och's Calais, not the actual car. That's between you and your insurance company.
Forget the car already, I ask you again, whad did they do to find the person(s) that stole it?

Originally Posted by ff_
I guess in the end, the police have to balance their time between the stuff they know that they can handle and solve, with the rest of the stuff that goes on which requires their attention, like accidents, assaults, etc. If someone was holding you at gunpoint while another person raped your wife, and your son called 911, would you want to hear "sorry, we can't help you now, we're trying to find someone's stolen car"?
This is exactly why I believe it's better not to have any law enforcement, and it should be up to the citizens to protect themselves and their own property. This way most everyone would be carrying weapons, and criminals would think twice before commiting crimes. If I was in a situation you just described (god forbid), I'd much rather prefer to be able to pull out my own weapon and shoot the bastards, rather than rely on someone to call 911.
Old 02-08-07, 07:01 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
This is exactly why I believe it's better not to have any law enforcement, and it should be up to the citizens to protect themselves and their own property. This way most everyone would be carrying weapons, and criminals would think twice before commiting crimes. If I was in a situation you just described (god forbid), I'd much rather prefer to be able to pull out my own weapon and shoot the bastards, rather than rely on someone to call 911.
We're a flawed species, if everyone carried a gun we'd probably have less crime... because we'd have a pile of bodies instead. Everyone would be dead.
Would you really want to take matters into your own hands? How do you the particular thief isn't part of a bigger organization?
Old 02-08-07, 07:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
We're a flawed species, if everyone carried a gun we'd probably have less crime... because we'd have a pile of bodies instead. Everyone would be dead.
Would you really want to take matters into your own hands? How do you the particular thief isn't part of a bigger organization?
This country could use a pile of bodies at this point, really. There are too many people walking around that should by all means be dead. Some of them are the people that stole Och's Oldsmobile Calais.
Old 02-08-07, 07:09 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I've already stated my point. I'm done with this part of the conversation, since I think it's just getting silly now.
Old 02-08-07, 03:53 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When my ex girlfriend's car got stolen the police actually found the car within a few days. Obviously the thieves were nowhere near the car anymore and the stereo was gone, but at least the police recovered the vehicle and fingerprinted it for evidence just in case those finger prints show up again they have it on file. I guess not all police are useless like some make them out to be.
Old 02-08-07, 04:04 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I might have lost my temper and taken a razor blade to the side of his car car and maybe taken off half of the police decal.
Old 02-09-07, 01:46 PM
Carib
Driver

Default Got stopped for the plastic covers!

Funny that I should read this AFTER I get pulled over by the police in Vancouver. I just moved out here (from Toronto) and didn't realize the clear plastic protective covers weren't allowed beceause it supposedly prevents the Traffic Cameras from taking a snapshot of your license plate. I was lucky enough to get off with a warning, but I had to take them off on the spot. The cop wouldn't even let me drive home to do it...!

Latahs.
Carib.
Old 02-09-07, 02:17 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

"Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it".

A quote that hung on the wall where I used to get my vehicle tabs when I lived in Washington state.
Old 02-09-07, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In GA, that WAS the law. Then for a year, they actually REPEALED the tint law, b/c of situations like this. For a year, there was no maximum tint.

2 years ago, the punks in office made it a NEW law that even cars DRIVING THOUGH GA, can get pulled over and ticketed for tint.

I kid you not. Its a law now.
This is accurate. I got into an argument over this exact situation with a Georgia staff attorney working for Judge DelCampo in DeKalb County. They will ticket you and convict you of violating Georgia law without regard for where your car is registered or where your driver's license is issued. I suggested this would likely only last until some Florida attorney got ticketed and fought it, but regardless, it is how they are enforcing the law in Georgia.
Old 02-09-07, 11:49 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXMN
"Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it".

A quote that hung on the wall where I used to get my vehicle tabs when I lived in Washington state.
I supppose you condone the cops actions?
Old 02-10-07, 05:27 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

I know we can't do it here in Fl....not sure on their laws though. I have heard of it done a couple of times in CA.

Quick Reply: Cop cut my tint!