Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cop cut my tint!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 08:13 PM
LexFather

The crazy thing is, it is a roll of the dice. Some guys claim they go years with 10 or 15% tint with no issues and some have 30% tint (GA is 32%) and they get a ticket.

Its pick and chose.

Old 02-05-07, 08:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I dunno, this happens here as well. I've gotten stories of instances here in GA, the cop pulls u over for tint, brings his shade meter with him, if your tint is past that, some cops cut it or tell you to cut it right then and there.

Total crap but it sadly happens.....

The funny thing is while they are ripping out your tint, someone is getting shot or raped. U know a real crime.
I got pulled over by Dobbins on Cobb in my IS300 last year and I had 5% tint. The trooper said "I should give you a ticket for that tint" and I responded "why, so I can drive all the way back down here next week and tell the judge I don't even live in this STATE, the car is not registered in this STATE, and passing through this STATE I have to pull the tint off at one state line and put it back on at the other? There are states without tint laws at all therefore since it is not federally mandated to allow the law to be in effect across ALL the states, my car does not have to comply to GA state laws if I do not live here, nor is my car registered here, and is not breaking federal mandate like an emissions law would when I am just passing through. We both know that, so.... exactly why would you ticket me again?"

He seemed pretty pissed, but that was the end of the conversation and I headed on.
Old 02-05-07, 08:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

The crazy thing is, it is a roll of the dice. Some guys claim they go years with 10 or 15% tint with no issues and some have 30% tint (GA is 32%) and they get a ticket.
...AND........ that was the first time I have ever been pulled over in 15 yrs of driving for tint.
Old 02-05-07, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I got pulled over by Dobbins on Cobb in my IS300 last year and I had 5% tint. The trooper said "I should give you a ticket for that tint" and I responded "why, so I can drive all the way back down here next week and tell the judge I don't even live in this STATE, the car is not registered in this STATE, and passing through this STATE I have to pull the tint off at one state line and put it back on at the other? There are states without tint laws at all therefore since it is not federally mandated to allow the law to be in effect across ALL the states, my car does not have to comply to GA state laws if I do not live here, nor is my car registered here, and is not breaking federal mandate like an emissions law would when I am just passing through. We both know that, so.... exactly why would you ticket me again?"

He seemed pretty pissed, but that was the end of the conversation and I headed on.
In GA, that WAS the law. Then for a year, they actually REPEALED the tint law, b/c of situations like this. For a year, there was no maximum tint.

2 years ago, the punks in office made it a NEW law that even cars DRIVING THOUGH GA, can get pulled over and ticketed for tint.

I kid you not. Its a law now.

Old 02-05-07, 08:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

IF someone from a state with no tint law get's pulled over they can prove their state has no tint law and get out of it, but if I were to get pulled over again like that TN has a very similar tint law to GA now and I'd have to pay.

You'd basically have to prove that it is not illegal where you reside and you'd be able to get out of it.
Old 02-05-07, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
IF someone from a state with no tint law get's pulled over they can prove their state has no tint law and get out of it, but if I were to get pulled over again like that TN has a very similar tint law to GA now and I'd have to pay.

You'd basically have to prove that it is not illegal where you reside and you'd be able to get out of it.
Yeah but you might pay $50 for the gas for the round trip from the other state vs. paying $50 for the tint ticket and save the time?? Is it worth fighting?
Old 02-06-07, 12:26 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, this happens here as well. I've gotten stories of instances here in GA, the cop pulls u over for tint, brings his shade meter with him, if your tint is past that, some cops cut it or tell you to cut it right then and there.

The funny thing is while they are ripping out your tint, someone is getting shot or raped. U know a real crime.
Yeah, I know people who had to cut there own tint off.
Old 02-06-07, 01:00 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

it seems to me that RCMP here in BC are rather uniform and serious on trying to get rid of tint on the driver and front passenger windows

not a fun place to live if u got tint on...
Old 02-06-07, 02:07 AM
Stormwind
Racer

That's why I have ceramic tints on my windows, 50% tint that is almost clear but blocks more heat than regualr 5% limo tints.
Old 02-06-07, 09:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You should have placed him under citizens arrest.
Some cops are just a bit bored. Bet he had tint on his car.
Old 02-06-07, 09:25 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I dunno, this happens here as well. I've gotten stories of instances here in GA, the cop pulls you over for tint, brings his shade meter with him, if your tint is past that, some cops cut it or tell you to cut it right then and there.

The funny thing is while they are ripping out your tint, someone is getting shot or raped. You know a real crime.
Do you propose that we hire millions of cops to sit in alleyways and backyards everywhere, just waiting to nab a murderer or rapist before they can cause damage?

Officers have two jobs:
1) Protect people by preventing illegal behavior
2) Mop up after the illegal behavior that they can't control

Murders and rapists fall pretty much exclusively under #2. While things like speeding, illegal tint, reckless driving would fall under #1.

If you have illegal tint, you are breaking the law. Plain and simple. Maybe you don't agree with the law, but it was set for a reason. They enforce that law because having the illegal tint restricts your view, especially at night.

Cops probably found that kids weren't taking the tint out after receiving a ticket, so they got clearance to slice it, forcing the owner to get it replaced. Fine with me. Don't break the law, you won't be in that situation.

And guys, show some respect for law enforcement. You may not like the fact that they control the offenders, keeping our streets relatively safe (weird, that makes no sense...), and some of the officers might have attitudes or superiority complexes. But in the end, every one of them will take a bullet in the chest in order to save your life. No questions asked. Please, show some respect.

Last edited by ff_; 02-06-07 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-06-07, 10:36 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
And guys, show some respect for law enforcement. You may not like the fact that they control the offenders, keeping our streets relatively safe (weird, that makes no sense...), and some of the officers might have attitudes or superiority complexes. But in the end, every one of them will take a bullet in the chest in order to save your life. No questions asked. Please, show some respect.
I would say everyone of them would.

But you're right they are doing their job but slicing your tint is the wrong way of doing it.
Old 02-06-07, 10:49 AM
chuggernot
Driver School Candidate

if its the law, follow it. the main reason i've found that the cops don't like people to have dark tint is because they cant see whats going on in the car when they approach it. i dont see any reason to bash the cop for doing his job. maybe that's just my law-abiding way of looking at things
Old 02-06-07, 10:51 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXuriouss
so i was out last night with friends Downtown vancovuer; on the way home we get pulled over in my Lex...3 biker cops and 1 undercover van... anyways long story short... got 400$ticket for:

obstructed licence plate( clear plastic cover) !!!
and driver tint

now this damn cop to make sure i take the tint off cut my window from the inside with his ex. knife!!!! What the F!!!
i got pissed off and well... almost got another ticket and warning for using F word...

I cant believe how rude that bastard was....

thought you guys should hear about canadian fudge packer cops...

im out...
Call me an *** but what are your local laws?

You can't be mad at the cop for following the law. Even if you get the Cop's badge number what does that do? Maybe it is different where you are.

In my state Tint that is too dark is considered to be a moving violation. There is not fix it ticket (unless you happen to get a generous cop) and even then the only ones that can give you a ticket for the tint is a state trooper. Guess what? If a state trooper catches you prepare to get a ticket and "MSHWP" slashed into each of your windows.

Technically I can get a ticket for my license plate frame due to the fact that it partially covers up the month and year for my tag renewal but thats a gamble I'm willing to take.

Really can't agree with ya. Know your local laws.
Old 02-06-07, 02:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Do you propose that we hire millions of cops to sit in alleyways and backyards everywhere, just waiting to nab a murderer or rapist before they can cause damage?

Officers have two jobs:
1) Protect people by preventing illegal behavior
2) Mop up after the illegal behavior that they can't control
When my car was stolen, these idiots didn't do a damn thing to attempt and find it. However, when I found it myself, two weeks later, it had stripped interior and a PARKING TICKET. These morons put a parking ticket on a car that was reported stolen and had interior stripped out. So much for doing their job.

I personally wish there were no police at all. I think I could do much better job protecting myself and my property on my own.

Quick Reply: Cop cut my tint!