Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cop cut my tint!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXuriouss

now this damn cop to make sure i take the tint off cut my window from the inside with his ex. knife!!!! What the F!!!
i
Was your tint legal to start with? You didn't say.....or I just didn't notice. I agree that the cop shouldn't have cut it, but if it was illegal under either Canadian or local province law, you probably don't have much of a defense.
Old 02-07-07, 08:19 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well tint is illegal in canada period.;on the driver window.

i already had car tinted when i purchased it from the dealer... so its not really my fault but ican not do anything. anyhow I think it was a bit rude and not legal for him to ddestroy my property--what if i wanted to keep that tint in 1 piece( for wehatever reason; to wrap my flowers in it) oh well... took me almost 2 hours to pull it off and wipe off the ****ing glue off the window....so now my driver window is clear... at least i got new 18 inch rims damn 35 series tires cost me almost a grand....

btw i submitted the ticket for the court dispute--so im hoping for the case by xmas. its free in canada to dispute tickets. i just want to make sure Judge hears my side of the story
Old 02-07-07, 10:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

it is illegal in BC
other provinces have different regulations and laws on tint

i think in nova scotia, there is no tint law there

good luck with the case but i dont think you have any grounds for defence
and ive heard of judges increasing penalties for wasting their time
Old 02-07-07, 10:38 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

hehe not gonna happen-- ve been to court with tickets and few other things -- 7 out of 10 i won
Old 02-08-07, 12:34 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it even legal to have the cop destroy your property? even force you to destroy your own property?
Old 02-08-07, 02:43 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuan92129
How is it even legal to have the cop destroy your property? even force you to destroy your own property?
It may not have been the best thing for the cop to do himself, but here were I live the cops sometimes either make you peel the illegal tint off yourself right there on the street, or if you don't they can impound your car. I know a few people already that had to peel their tint off on the spot. Not much you can do because illegal tint is an equipment violation and doesn't pass state safety inspection. If you can't pass state inspection you can't legally drive your car on the street, thus the valid reason for the cops to impound the car if they feel like putting you through the trouble. Most just give you a ticket, but if your attitude is bad, they put you through the ringer.
Old 02-08-07, 03:02 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I've seen French Gendarmes stop British cars and make them remove their (illegal in France) radar detector, make the driver place it under their front wheel and drive forwards 4 feet. It's even worse if it's just a sat nav with no radar function.
Old 02-08-07, 04:55 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I've seen French Gendarmes stop British cars and make them remove their (illegal in France) radar detector, make the driver place it under their front wheel and drive forwards 4 feet. It's even worse if it's just a sat nav with no radar function.
Well now that's horrible because at least you can resell the thing. Peeled tint I doubt you'll use again (even if it's in one piece). I would tell them to **** off.
Old 02-08-07, 05:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
When my car was stolen, these idiots didn't do a damn thing to attempt and find it. However, when I found it myself, two weeks later, it had stripped interior and a PARKING TICKET. These morons put a parking ticket on a car that was reported stolen and had interior stripped out. So much for doing their job.
Is that the cop's job to find people's stolen cars? I doubt it. That's between you and your insurance company. They may be interested in catching the person(s) that took it, but sending out a fleet of officers to search for Och's long lost Oldsmobile Calais is not part of their duties.

Originally Posted by Och
I personally wish there were no police at all. I think I could do much better job protecting myself and my property on my own.
OK, let's imagine what kind of country we'd live in if there was no law enforcement. LOL.... I can only assume that you're trolling now.
Old 02-08-07, 05:51 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by ff_
Is that the cop's job to find people's stolen cars? I doubt it. That's between you and your insurance company. They may be interested in catching the person(s) that took it, but sending out a fleet of officers to search for Och's long lost Oldsmobile Calais is not part of their duties.

OK, let's imagine what kind of country we'd live in if there was no law enforcement. LOL.... I can only assume that you're trolling now.
I'd have to disagree with the police finding someone's car. There was a crime committed that's what cops do, they investigate crimes. It's not like I call up the station and say "I lost my car could you help me find it, I'm walking around in the mall parking lot and can't remember if it was in A1 or A7, the numbers look alike." I wouldn't say the police should send a fleet to find a car either but if we have the mentality that cops shouldn't care that a person's car was stolen than so will the thieves. If they think they'll get away with stealing cars, they'll steal more cars. And I'm with Och on some points, if you find a car stripped (even if you're not a cop maybe just a meter maid or plain old citizen) you're probably gonna think that's fishy and notify someone. You don't just ticket a car that has been stripped, walk away and say "Hey, not my problem."

It'd be nice if people would respect others property and we wouldn't need such large amounts of law enforcement. I'm not about to go vigilante if someone screws up my car. Yes it sucks but you know what I'm better than them, I don't need to get my revenge. I don't bother anyone else and I have a clean conscious, how do they sleep at night?
Old 02-08-07, 06:09 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I'd have to disagree with the police finding someone's car. There was a crime committed that's what cops do, they investigate crimes. It's not like I call up the station and say "I lost my car could you help me find it, I'm walking around in the mall parking lot and can't remember if it was in A1 or A7, the numbers look alike." I wouldn't say the police should send a fleet to find a car either but if we have the mentality that cops shouldn't care that a person's car was stolen than so will the thieves.
If you report it missing within a very short amount of time after it was stolen, yes. They'll try to hunt the driver down and arrest him. But if you wake up one morning and discover your car gone, they aren't going to send out officers to find your car for you. That's not their job.

There are over a million cars stolen every year in the US. That's one every 25 seconds. Can you imagine what would be required in terms of $$$ and manpower if we were to send out cops on a wild goose chase looking for stolen cars? And then people would complain that while the cops were looking for stolen cars, someone is getting shot or raped. You know, real crimes. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=5
Old 02-08-07, 06:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

It should be polices job to protect people property, and yes, it does involve an effort to find Och's long lost Oldsmobile Calais. When RIAA cries about kids on the internet downloading their music even the FBI goes after these kids.

As far as catching the persons that stole my car, what did police do to find them? Did they conduct an investigation? Did they take finger prints? The car was found in the middle of a residential block - did they survey people from surrounding houses if they saw anything? No, they slapped a parking ticket on a car thats been reported stolen, and sat with stripped interior.

Far as I'm concerned, we don't need law enforcement like this. The thiefs know damn well that they will get away with stealing peoples personal property, as long as they not stealing from big corporations. The thiefs also know that property owners virtually cannot do anything to protect their property. If you see your car getting stolen, the only thing you can do is call the police, which will show up 2 hours later. If you are to go ahead and beat the crap out of the thief with a baseball bet or better yet perforate their brains with an AK47, you're going to jail. However if there was no damn law enforcement, the thiefs would think twice before violating someone's property because that might get them killed. Believe or not, we would be living in a far greater country.
Old 02-08-07, 06:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
If you report it missing within a very short amount of time after it was stolen, yes. They'll try to hunt the driver down and arrest him. But if you wake up one morning and discover your car gone, they aren't going to send out officers to find your car for you. That's not their job.

There are over a million cars stolen every year in the US. That's one every 25 seconds. Can you imagine what would be required in terms of $$$ and manpower if we were to send out cops on a wild goose chase looking for stolen cars? And then people would complain that while the cops were looking for stolen cars, someone is getting shot or raped. You know, real crimes. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=5
Yeah, but think for a second, why there's a car stolen every 25 seconds? Thats because the damn police doesn't do jack **** about it. If they were to conduct an investigation, and catch the thiefs, the situation would get better right away, because first of all, the same thiefs are probably responsible for stealing hundreeds of cars, and unless they are caught they will steal hundreds more. And if other thiefs see that there's a crackdown they will likely stop stealing cars before they get caught.
Old 02-08-07, 06:25 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
It should be polices job to protect people property, and yes, it does involve an effort to find Och's long lost Oldsmobile Calais. When RIAA cries about kids on the internet downloading their music even the FBI goes after these kids.
Yes, *help protect* your property, as long as they are notified of the crime as it's happening. After the crime has already been comitted, what do you want them to do?

They'll be interested in finding the criminal, not your car. That's between you and your insurance company.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were special units, whose job it is to track down and handle car thieves (among other things). But again, they're after the thieves, not your car. That's between you and your insurance company.
Old 02-08-07, 06:27 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by ff_

Good point. They should still keep an eye out for these things though. If a car was reported stolen and it got a ticket on it, you'd think they'd check the plates or something to see if there are any other reports on the vehicle. I do agree that you can't spend a millenia on one stolen car.

Originally Posted by Och
Far as I'm concerned, we don't need law enforcement like this. The thiefs know damn well that they will get away with stealing peoples personal property, as long as they not stealing from big corporations. The thiefs also know that property owners virtually cannot do anything to protect their property. If you see your car getting stolen, the only thing you can do is call the police, which will show up 2 hours later. If you are to go ahead and beat the crap out of the thief with a baseball bet or better yet perforate their brains with an AK47, you're going to jail. However if there was no damn law enforcement, the thiefs would think twice before violating someone's property because that might get them killed. Believe or not, we would be living in a far greater country.
I don't agree, thieves have to think about police and what other people would do to them if they were caught in the act of stealing a car. Cops carry guns, but some civilians carry guns as well. I think we just need a better judicial system to prevent things of this nature from happening and honestly educate our children and give them morals. Do unto others as you would have them done unto you.

Most cops are not corrupt. Although I don't agree with all laws, to a certain extent they're there to protect us from ourselves.

Quick Reply: Cop cut my tint!