Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Gas Station of choice?
Chevron
30.99%
Mobil
26.76%
Shell
29.58%
Exxon
18.31%
Texaco
4.23%
Costco
2.82%
Arco
1.41%
76 (does it exist anymore?)
7.04%
7 eleven
4.23%
Other
23.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Gas Station?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 11:19 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Station?

I was looking for this on the forum, but haven't found it. I wanted to know which gas station do you SC owner go to? Does the gas station matter or no? I usually go to Chevron, Mobil, and Costco. Does anyone know if Costco gas is any good? I hear that Arco gas is cheap and im not referring to prices.
Old 02-11-05, 11:23 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I heard Shell is good. I'm currently using Mobil, but I want to switch to Shell.. but i'm afraid of the transition..
Old 02-11-05, 11:28 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

wha would happen if you did?
Old 02-12-05, 12:02 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I only use Chevron. I haven't tried any other brands, but I haven't had any problems with it for the last decade I've been using it.

One time I noticed a tanker truck at the local 76 station labeled Americana Gas (or something like that) and later on I saw this same tanker truck at the local Ultramar station. Maybe the 76 station is getting cheap gas or the Ultramar is getting really good gas, but I'm not going to take the chance of getting bad gas. A few years ago I tried Arco and it was just poor. The engine was down on power until the tank was nearly empty and I filled it back up with Chevron.
Old 02-12-05, 02:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Blending to order . . .

I worked with a company a few years ago that developed a precision metering system to put additives into fuel as it was delivered. The fuel marketing experts with the major oil companies were working on a number of applications:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
The purpose of all this was to consolidate fuel blends, resulting in considerably lower costs due to savings in transport, storage, and delivery. The aviation industry is currently using this system to deliver proper additives to avgas and jet fuels worldwide. It really seems to make sense, because the additives are only a small percentage of a gallon of delivered fuel, and the closer to the engine they can be blended, the greater the savings to the delivery chain. Sounds lika a good idea!
Old 02-12-05, 03:29 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should see the Modern Marvel on Gas. Puts a new perspective on filling up.
Old 02-12-05, 06:09 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

There are no Chevron stations around here in the NE (at least I haven't seen any), so I often use Mobil, Exxon or 7-11 (gotta love their Slurpee drinks!)
Old 02-12-05, 06:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Shell, Esso(Exxon), & Petrocan
Old 02-12-05, 07:25 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Sunoco Ultra 94 is all I use.....you should have put that option on the list!
Old 02-12-05, 08:41 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

i usually fill up with mobil/exxon..
Old 02-12-05, 08:58 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Sunoco 94
Shell 91
Petro Canada 91

Respectively
Old 02-12-05, 12:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

On another car forum some years back, one of the participants was a chemist for an independent lab that tested fuels. After a long drawn out debate over which was better, the chemist gave his top picks. I don't recall them now, his comment was the additive packages from the biggies was fairly comparable. This varied from region because some conatined higher levels/use of alochol.

His side comment was that it also worked with how the fuel delivery, combustion chambers, spark plug placement, intake/exhaust was designed. Little changes can alter how the fuel is burned from engine to engine and some of the formulations performed better in those instances.

That said, I mainly have filled up with ARCO.
76 is my next preffered choice.

Beyond that, so long as the car does not ping and/or get horrid gas mileage, I'm not too concerned. The plugs on mine are clean and appear as they should for my type of driving. I average about 26-27 MPG HWY and 17-20 in town.

Of course...YMMV
Old 02-12-05, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Chevron, Mobil, Amoco and recently, Shell with its V-Power have the best detergent additives to keep the fuel system clean. Chevron with Techroline is especially good. It is usually my first choice. Mobil and Amoco for years have also had good detergent packages.

Use one of these brands....whichever station you like the best, has the best prices, or the friendliest people and you should not have any gas-trelated problems.
Old 02-12-05, 04:39 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

When im at home i use costco gas .... in my area i can get a gallon of 93 from costco for 5 cents less than 91 i would put 91 in my car but costco only has 87 and 93. I have never heard of arco before its not in my area
lexusfiend
Old 02-12-05, 04:46 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey what's up Eric?

I've heard a lot of good things about Chevron. Many of my friends even swear by it and use nothing but its gas.

However, my family's been using 76 gas exclusively for the last 15 years on our Cadillac, BMW, and Lex, etc and we're very pleased with its gas.

Our cars have never had any engine related problems (knock on wood three times) and it's likely that we're going to continue to go with it.

Yes. I agree with you that Arco does not sell great gas.

Jon

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I only use Chevron. I haven't tried any other brands, but I haven't had any problems with it for the last decade I've been using it.

One time I noticed a tanker truck at the local 76 station labeled Americana Gas (or something like that) and later on I saw this same tanker truck at the local Ultramar station. Maybe the 76 station is getting cheap gas or the Ultramar is getting really good gas, but I'm not going to take the chance of getting bad gas. A few years ago I tried Arco and it was just poor. The engine was down on power until the tank was nearly empty and I filled it back up with Chevron.

Quick Reply: Gas Station?