Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Import tuner "fad" will die out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 09:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Import tuner "fad" will die out?

Is import tuning a fad that will die out? We know it is a fad, you cannot argue this, BUT is it a fad that will be replaced with something else?

All fad's die out eventually. Technology is leaning towards hybrids, hybrids are getting more and more impressive, gas engines as a whole are looking to be replaced with 80% hybrids within 10 years. Other forms of technology are coming out every day. (theory one)

Dragsters on the NHRA circut are not burning V-tech engines with T-70's hanging off them. Raw brute power per liter is still king on the fastest car's on the planet. The biggest and baddest drag cars still do not run the import tuning fad technology.

Will the fad die a horrible death to manufacturers bringing out the big steel once more? The E55 AMG, The M5, even Lexus latest release all sport huge raw steel (ignore that they are alum for the sake of the argument). Will the big engines make a comeback and be the death of the tuner fad? (theory two)

The latest additions to car makers lineups are NOT TT'ed 4 bangers, but big raw steel horsepower engines.

My question....... will the import tuning fad die to newer technology, or will we revert back to raw steel power from non f/i cars, or.... (add your theory here).

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-27-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 10:50 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day, we had big engines. I'm talking 427's, 454's, 442's etc. Then as most already know, emissions, unleaded fuel, gast shortages etc all came about, striking down the age of the hot rod in its prime. Hell, even the Vette had 190 hp or so at one point. Since big motors really dropped off as the fad, small engined cars, which were usually Japanese came about. Datsuns and the like back in the day are one example. So continuing to this day, its "popular" for many people to strap on FI to their 2 liters and make them smoke a bunch of V8s. However, form the factory, sure the Evo and STi are fast, but compared to the Viper, E55, Z06 etc, they aren't in the same league. Given the listed cars are more expensive, I still think that once people get tired of modding 4 bangers (and people often simply get tired of fads), auto makers will have to do something else to make major selling points. I see the big N/A torquey V8 coming back on the scene, but this time with the strict emissions, and able to run legal pump fuel. This time, I see the big engines getting some technology on them and being able to keep the mileage low. True, maybe hybrids will make it big and some of them are (I don't even look twice when I see a Prius), but for people who really want that rush, maybe a V8 running clean with LEV rating would be the thing. Take a look. Right now, the 5.7L PUSHROD LS6 (Z06) engine gets better mileage than the 3.2L DOHC M3 powerplant...just something to think about.

James
Old 04-28-04, 06:38 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting theories, I dont think it will die out, I just think we will see the death of the true "rice" (1989 Civics with hand painted yellow door handles, APC Aluminium Touring Wing, Spinner Hub Caps, Color matched tint (to match the door handles ofcourse) and so on. But the real tuners will keep pushing the limit.
Old 04-28-04, 07:05 AM
Milla...

Can I add something it will be short because my knowledge of specifics are limited in this area. Over the the years I've seen fads come and go some of which hang on a bit longer than others. I do think that this whole tuner thing is a fad and like most fads it will stay around until some genius replace it with something else possibly with hybrid tech as you mentioned. People do get board once they've done it all then they're ready for something else.I think now people are about ready for the next big tune if you will, and once it comes they will be all over it.

Last edited by Milla...; 04-28-04 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Unhappy

What we are going to see in the future, more than just the death of "tuning" and the issue of large, fast engines vs. small, fast engines, is pretty much the death of speed and street racing, period. Several things will account for this...First, rising gas costs, which, unlike past years, are not likely to drop anytime soon....they are up to stay this time. Second, increasing sophistication and coverage of anti-speed devices like radar, LIDAR, laser, VASCAR, speed cameras, etc.... Third, a decreasing tolerance by the general public for street racing, which will put a lot of pressure on the police and local officials. Fourth, higher and higher insurance....or no insurance....for high-performance or tuned cars. Fifth, the growing number of stop signs, speed bumps, barricaded roads, etc.... Sixth....and perhaps most important.....CONGESTION.....a serious and growing problem nationwide. Soon there will simply not be room to speed any more. This is already the case in many areas.
Just exactly when this will happen and how fast I can't precisely answer, but there are many signs of it starting now....in spite of new high-performance cars like the GTO being introduced.
Old 04-28-04, 07:55 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by mmarshall
CONGESTION.....a serious and growing problem nationwide. Soon there will simply not be room to speed any more. This is already the case in many areas.
I would have to agree. There are many times Ive driven all the way from school to home (66 miles) and there was only one, flat straightaway where it was safe to actually hit 100, which I could only achieve for roughly 10 seconds until slowing down again. Sometimes this road is too congested to even do that anymore.
Old 04-28-04, 09:04 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think the reason the tuner fad is so huge is COST. In the old days, guys souped up certain cars because it was simple and cheap, ie, carb upgrade, cherry bomb exhaust, and His and Hers means fast. Now a exhaust, intake, and NAAWWWS means fast.

A older honda or acura can be picked up for 2-4k in some instances and modded to go fast for 2k. Until someone comes up with a newer cheap way for speed, I think the ricers will be around. Although the new cars have big engines (E55, Hemi, etc etc), they are also new. I think most guys that mod cars, mod on used ones (ie 3-5 yrs old). I dont know many people that buy brand new rides and dump 20k into them. Although I'm sure there are instances of this, I'm also sure the older cars are more prevalent.
Old 04-28-04, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Question Same then and now?

Well, "cheap" tuning is a relative term. Yes, parts were cheaper and simpler in the 1950's and 60's, but look at what your income was. You had to work a long time back then just to buy a carburator or simple body parts. The minimum wage was $1.60, and most jobs didn't pay much more than $3-4 an hour. The average car back then cost around $2500-3000....about 5-6 months of work. In fact, in many ways, it is about the same today...the average car costs $25,000-26,000....about 5-6 months work at the average wage today. Same with many tuner parts.
Old 04-28-04, 11:40 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

yup thats true, I was just trying to say that pocket rockets of today have replaced those cars as the 'inexpensive' means of going fast. Not really a cheaper way to go fast for 2-3k! LOL
Old 04-28-04, 12:56 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recall when everyone had to have wheels that stuck out?

Recall when everyone had to have a bumpin system?

Recall when low riders and 64’s where sooooo hot

The import thing is a fad as well, it will be gone and replaced one day as well………..
Old 04-28-04, 12:58 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never, not as long as young people exist and GM & Ford keep making cheap cars.
Old 04-28-04, 08:37 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jimxo
Never, not as long as young people exist and GM & Ford keep making cheap cars.
True, and think about it. I know at least GM has a Saturn Ion "Redline" with a supercharged 4 that they haven't released yet...how far behind can you be? Honest.

James
Old 04-28-04, 08:51 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

well this thing will smoke any Lexus or Toyota.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8009

5.7L "Hemi" V8
5spd auto
4150lbs

0-60 5.3sec
1/4mi 13.9@102mph

All for under $33,000

Last edited by LexusLuver; 04-28-04 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-28-04, 08:56 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jet864
Right now, the 5.7L PUSHROD LS6 (Z06) engine gets better mileage than the 3.2L DOHC M3 powerplant...just something to think about.

James
The final drive ratio is very high
It's a torquey motor with tons of low-end
It's very lightweight
Has a fairly low drag cd

Those all contribute to its fuel economy.
The Z06 sacrifices alot for its suspension and motor.

The Z06 is the best sub $60k high performance car ever.
Old 04-28-04, 09:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally posted by LexusLuver
well this thing will smoke any Lexus or Toyota.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8009

5.7L "Hemi" V8
5spd auto
4150lbs

0-60 5.3sec
1/4mi 13.9@102mph

All for under $33,000
Yup, and i'll tell you the same thing i told the kid in the mitsubishi with the nawws that gave me a beating last friday night.....

You're still driving a mitsubishi, and i'm still in a Lexus.

see you around, as i pass by the service bay.

ps- enjoy the plastic interior and all the rattles both inside and out.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-28-04 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Import tuner "fad" will die out?