Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Import tuner "fad" will die out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 09:13 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I would have to agree. There are many times Ive driven all the way from school to home (66 miles) and there was only one, flat straightaway where it was safe to actually hit 100, which I could only achieve for roughly 10 seconds until slowing down again. Sometimes this road is too congested to even do that anymore.
I too agree. . . I think the next trend will follow Europe and Asia, fun, practical, small vehicles. . . ie Scion. Notice the huge numbers of the vehicles being introduced. . . new Audi A3, BMW 1 series, Smart, Mini Cooper, VW Beatle, Ford Focus, the list goes on and on. These cars may not suite a Lexus buyers tastes, but I gaurantee you that this will be the new trend. I'd put money on it. Or course it'll probably only stick to the coasts. . .
Old 09-02-04, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

SC400-V8 hit the #1 reason why the import tuning fad may NOT die out, but why, in general, speeding WILL.

Congestion.

In more and more areas it is just becoming physically impossible most of the time ( besides being unsafe ) to do triple-digit speeds. And you certainly can't do stop-light drags when you have stoplights and 4-way stop signs every block. And, last, speeding tickets are going to become prohibitively expensive....along with more and more places outlawing radar detectors. My home state of VA outlaws them now....with NO warnings.
Old 09-02-04, 08:12 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the new fad in a decade or so are kit cars. the import trend right now is basically trying to make production cars look and feel more like race cars with the carbon fiber wings, lightweight rims, stiffer suspension, etc. hell, why not go for a real race car... that's also street legal! i'd have a corolla for a beater and one of these...