Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

orangeblue's Kid Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 02:23 PM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default orangeblue's Kid Hauler

Since 2013, my daily driver has been a Scion FR-S. It served double duty as a track car, with mods to support it, until I eventually purchased an E36 M3 that I could dedicate to track duty (since replaced with a C5 Z06). My wife and I have a two-year-old starting preschool and another baby due in June, so I was forced to dump my FR-S and get something that can actually fit a car seat (or two). I had resigned myself to getting something like a Toyota 4Runner (my dad and sister each have one), but I stumbled upon this 2012 IS-F on December 8th. My dad had leased a 2013, and I always loved that car, so I was definitely interested.

The previous owner was actually a guy I go to the track with. He works for JM and had bought it new; unbeknownst to me, he had recently traded it in on a new GS-F. Car was mechanically stock except for an intake elbow (JoeZ, I think).

One of the things I didn't like about the car were the tail lights, which had been blacked-out/smoked by JM's custom shop when the car was new. They did a great job, but I didn't like the look, so, I ordered a set of red smoke Spec-D tail lights. They're much brighter than the smoked stockers, and the color works well with the blacked-out reflectors (which I may eventually replace with LED ones). I love the updated look and the fact that the entire light works as the brake light. I also installed a SmartTap relay which, in addition to adding the tap signal function, also meant I didn't have to screw around with the resistors when wiring the tail lights.

Smoked OEM (L) vs. Red Smoke Spec-D (R)

I've also added some minor things like LED bulbs (interior, puddle lights, front turn signals), and a trunk net and some 6000k halogen fog light bulbs which I had laying around in the garage, as well as a new Interstate battery since the original one died.

I just ordered a color-matched Wald rep spoiler on ebay, so that's next. Since I'll need to remove the rear badge, I'm also considering having the badges and grille surround hydrodipped (probably black pearl). Maybe vinyl wrap the window trim.
Old 02-27-18, 02:30 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats on the car and kid on the way! 2 car seats will fit just fine back there, for a while a had the britax convertible and a Recaro infant carrier in the back of mine at the same time.
Old 02-27-18, 02:49 PM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msgs350
Congrats on the car and kid on the way! 2 car seats will fit just fine back there, for a while a had the britax convertible and a Recaro infant carrier in the back of mine at the same time.
Thanks! The Britax convertible fits fine, and we’ve still got the Britax travel sysyem (carrier and clip-in bases) for when #2 is born. That reminds me of another mod I forgot to mention: car seat mat and seat back protector. Figured the Alcantara wouldn’t handle the abuse very well.
Old 02-27-18, 06:48 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I dunno about the kids and the car seats.

The car is small on the inside and I try to avoid taking the kids in my car...it can be done though.
Old 02-27-18, 08:28 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz

The car is small on the inside and I try to avoid taking the kids in my car...it can be done though.
It is small, but certainly doable.. my kids are both in front facing Diono car seats now . Its an IS-Family hauler for me. Wife has a 2015 GX460 and i have the F and we've had to buy about 4 of everything, 2 for each car. A 3rd car, brand new Tacoma Pro is in the works but I'm slow to accept that i have to paying MSRP for it.
Old 03-01-18, 06:59 AM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

It’s loads bigger than my FR-S. If I was taller, it’d be a problem, but I’m short enough that even a rear-facing car seat will work behind me. I will probably never have a front-seat passenger when I’ve got the kids (generally to and from school/daycare on my way to/from work), so I can move the seat up a little bit. If the four of us are going somewhere, we always take my wife’s SUV.
Old 03-01-18, 01:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice! Welcome!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-18, 11:37 AM
Dragtek
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome!!! I have a 2 year old, and a 6 year old!! It’s my weekend car and fits the kids just fine.
Old 03-17-18, 05:48 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! I am pretty sure I used to run into this car on the turnpike in the mornings. Welcome and hope to see you around! I work around the corner from JM.
Old 03-17-18, 01:10 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

It is Tiiiiiiiiiiiiight in there...4 doors does not mean family car by any stretch of the imagination.