IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Drove a GT-R after a year without mine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 06:48 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove a GT-R after a year without mine.

So I drove my good friend's GT-R (he's a member on here) last Friday because I've missed mine soo much after trading it in last July. I made the call to get rid of it when my wife and I decided we wanted to try for our second child. Low and behold our new daughter will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. We have been so blessed! Although I teared up a bit when I let my other tuned baby go. So I had traded it in for a brand new 535i BMW. I LOVED this car as it was so luxurious and just an all around beautiful car, BUT, it just didn't do it for me in terms of speed and performance. So, after 8 months of the Bimmer, I traded for a brand new IS-F. I needed a bit of spice back in my life. I knew going into the IS-F purchase, that it'd never quite fill the void the the GT-R left, I still thought it would be a perfect blend of power, handling and just about the perfect all around daily driven car. I didn't want a car to sit in the garage and bring out on a nice day. I am a driver and I'm driving this thing everyday. I hate driving my wifes Escalade!

So back to the point. I hopped in the GT-R and it took me a bit to remember all the controls, manual mode, etc. My friend asked me what modes I wanted and I said all race mode as that's how I always drove mine. This was a tuned GT-R as I sold him the tune off mine when I got rid of it. So we pulled out of his business parking lot and I had forgoten how loud the interior of the car was. If you've never been inside a GT-R, you can hear all the tranny's and diffs doing their thing. I remember telling my friend how raw this thing is. It was also, soo stiff! I had forgotten this too, but I like my cars to be stiff. We pulled out onto the street and I goosed it. 100mph comes in around 7 seconds in this thing. Man, I miss that acceleration! I drove it around for 10-15 minutes and I told him this could have been a bad idea.

We got finished, and I got back in my IS-F, and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I was amazed at how happy I am with the the Lexus. Is it as fast as the GT-R....no comparison. But man, the luxury, the sound of the V8, my aftermarket stereo, and the quiet cabin with no ratttles gave me a deeper love for my IS-F. The IS-F will obviously never live up to the performance or the GT-R, but it truly is a perfect daily driven car for me. I love it so much and now I understand why my buddy (who owns the GT-R) misses his IS-F so much.

Just thought I'd share. So you guys that think the grass might be greener on the other side, sometimes it's the smaller things on vehicles that give you a true appreciation for what you have. Enjoy your cars!
Old 06-21-12, 06:59 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Put 125 shot of nitrou on the F and it will be very similair acceleration to the gtr.. I was just at the strip with a stock one and he wasn't using launch control but he wasn't producing any better than a mid 11
Old 06-21-12, 07:05 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
We got finished, and I got back in my IS-F, and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I was amazed at how happy I am with the the Lexus. Is it as fast as the GT-R....no comparison. But man, the luxury, the sound of the V8, my aftermarket stereo, and the quiet cabin with no ratttles gave me a deeper love for my IS-F. The IS-F will obviously never live up to the performance or the GT-R, but it truly is a perfect daily driven car for me. I love it so much and now I understand why my buddy (who owns the GT-R) misses his IS-F so much.
That's what I always say....speed is not everything. There is so much more, especially when your car is a daily driver like mine. The IS-F is well balanced. And it does 0-60 in the low 4's! My main thing is the luxurious interior and the quality of Lexus. So what if the GT-R is faster. It will never be a Lexus. And the icing on the cake is that you save 30000 dollars by buying an F.
Old 06-21-12, 07:15 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Fantastic point of view, enjoyed the read.

I bet eventually someone with undoubtedly not get the point of your thread and think you're making a 1:1 comparison between the IS-F vs. GT-R, on which car is better and then comments that you're making an apples to oranges comparison.... I hate seeing those comments on threads mixing the IS-F and GT-R.

This thread is about personal lifestyle/preference and which car better suits.
Old 06-21-12, 08:07 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with this point of view (he was driving my car. Even when I owned both I was preaching on here that day to day I preferred the ISF, and I thought it was the best of both worlds. The GTR is great at what it is with a sole focus, but the ISF is so good at being a so many things...I sure do miss mine!
Old 06-21-12, 08:12 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I thought you might show up Robbie! I STILL miss mine, but I DO now understand why you were so in love with the F. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you liked the F moreso than the M5 you put in its place.

Oh and thanks for allowing me some wheel time in the GT-R last week...hopefully, I'll be back in the game before too long while keeping the F!
Old 06-21-12, 08:19 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love this thread....learned something too. Didn't know the GTR was so raw you could hear the mechanicals operating. I couldn't deal with that. I need to test drive one.

Love the ISF but wish Lexus made a coupe model. It would sell like hotcakes.
Old 06-21-12, 08:32 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story! I've never been in a GTR or driven one but would like to so I can appreciate the best of both worlds!
Old 06-21-12, 09:10 AM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gtr

I can't tell you how much I appreciated that story. i also have been interested in the GTR and wondered what it would be like driving one daily. It was nice to be able to envision the experience through your story. The GTR is a bit out of my price range at the moment until I build my business more, so you sort of made it "ok to wait" haaa. Until then I will continue to mod my car further.

Vintage
Old 06-21-12, 09:40 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story man. I have to say I will always love my lexus and it will be really hard for me to let her go when the time comes. The car just has too many memories especially being my first car ever. Time to start modding the F???
Old 06-21-12, 10:07 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice little story, just get all bolts on header, exhaust and intake pushing about 500hp. Very happy
Old 06-21-12, 10:08 AM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@ zapa - You're gonna be spoiled forever now in having the F as your first car ever.

@blitz_714 - a beastly combination indeed!
Old 06-21-12, 10:24 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I thought you might show up Robbie! I STILL miss mine, but I DO now understand why you were so in love with the F. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you liked the F moreso than the M5 you put in its place.

Oh and thanks for allowing me some wheel time in the GT-R last week...hopefully, I'll be back in the game before too long while keeping the F!
Absolutely....if the F had a middle seat bench in the back we would still have it.
Old 06-21-12, 10:31 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

great, now I want to go drive a GTR to experience it myself!
Old 06-21-12, 11:35 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

For all you guys telling me to get bolt on's, nitrous, ect...my GTR was a 10 second car on stock runflats, so I'm doubting I could ever get there, but I get your point. I remember thinking how slow the F felt when I first started test driving it. Heck an E63 felt slow! I guess after some time, you tend to forget what a 10 second car feels like and now the F feels pretty quick. Plus after doing some exhaust mods, there's that certain sounds the F gives me now that the GTR couldn't ever do with the 6 banger engine. The funny thing is, I used to tell people that loud doesn't mean fast, but it IS music to my ears. There's a lot of pros and cons both ways, but at the end of the day, I share an equal passion between the two cars. I love them both!

Quick Reply: Drove a GT-R after a year without mine.