Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch Repairs

 
Old 04-07-17, 06:45 PM
  #1  
Juwiee
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch Repairs

Hi All,

I had an incident yesterday where I caught our neighbors kids climbing and playing on top of my car like a slide!!! I was so upset, there were foot prints all over the car. Then after reviewing the hood I noticed there were light scratches most likely they had gravel under their feet when they were walking on the car. Gosh still upset! The car is only 4 months old, ugs. I was planning to bring the car to the Lexus Dealership and have them evaluate the car and let me know how much it would be to fix the scratches and any other damages that may have happened and bill the neighbor parents for it. I was just wondering would the dealership do a full evaluation and fix all the scratches? It just breaks my heart I've worked so hard for this car and it's still brand new. I also called the police and had them do the report and took pictures so we have something on paper incase they don't pay for the damages. What would you do?
Juwiee is offline  
Old 04-07-17, 07:46 PM
  #2  
lesz
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,270
Received 365 Likes on 309 Posts
Default

Did the scratches penetrate past the clear coat? If you are not sure, gently run a finger nail across the scratches. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it is definitely through the clear coat. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, the scratches likely haven't gone through the clear coat.

If they have not gone through the clear coat, the scratches should be fairly easy to remove with a mildly abrasive polish. Any decent body shop should be able to do that in a short amount of time, but, if you want to try to do it yourself, I'd suggest trying to use the same 3M polishes that many of the shops would use. The 3M Machine Glaze is a mildly abrasive polish that should remove surface scratches in the clear coat. After using the Machine Glaze, you can use 3M Hand Glaze, which will bring back the shine to its original level.

If, however, the scratches have penetrated through the clear coat, the only way to do the repair properly will be to refinish the panel. What color is your RX? With some colors, getting a good paint match, if refinishing is required, should be fairly simple with just a panel-to-panel match, but, with some of the multi-stage pearls, such as pearl whites, atomic silver, etc., getting a satisfactory paint match could require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Good luck.
lesz is offline  
Old 04-07-17, 09:26 PM
  #3  
Juwiee
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi,

I don't think the scratches are that deep. From what my other neighbors said. I am just so annoyed it even happened. The color of the car is a dark grey. I'm going to go to the dealer and have them review the car.

Originally Posted by lesz View Post
Did the scratches penetrate past the clear coat? If you are not sure, gently run a finger nail across the scratches. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it is definitely through the clear coat. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, the scratches likely haven't gone through the clear coat.

If they have not gone through the clear coat, the scratches should be fairly easy to remove with a mildly abrasive polish. Any decent body shop should be able to do that in a short amount of time, but, if you want to try to do it yourself, I'd suggest trying to use the same 3M polishes that many of the shops would use. The 3M Machine Glaze is a mildly abrasive polish that should remove surface scratches in the clear coat. After using the Machine Glaze, you can use 3M Hand Glaze, which will bring back the shine to its original level.

If, however, the scratches have penetrated through the clear coat, the only way to do the repair properly will be to refinish the panel. What color is your RX? With some colors, getting a good paint match, if refinishing is required, should be fairly simple with just a panel-to-panel match, but, with some of the multi-stage pearls, such as pearl whites, atomic silver, etc., getting a satisfactory paint match could require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Good luck.
Juwiee is offline  
Old 04-08-17, 11:06 PM
  #4  
Luffy808
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 90
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Well I hope you make the parents pay for that damage!
Luffy808 is offline  
Old 04-09-17, 08:29 AM
  #5  
Juwiee
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Me too! I feel like just because the scratches are light doesn't mean they should get away with it and we get stuck with the bills. Ugs.

Originally Posted by Luffy808 View Post
Well I hope you make the parents pay for that damage!
Juwiee is offline  
Old 04-09-17, 10:03 AM
  #6  
ggebhardt
Lexus Champion
 
ggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,576
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Default

I know what would have happened to me if I jumped on the neighbor's car. My parents would have left a last impression on my rear end.

If kids do do this when they are young just imagine the lack of respect they will have when they grow older . . If they grow older.
ggebhardt is offline  
Old 04-09-17, 02:14 PM
  #7  
StephyKay
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ggebhardt View Post
I know what would have happened to me if I jumped on the neighbor's car. My parents would have left a last impression on my rear end.

If kids do do this when they are young just imagine the lack of respect they will have when they grow older . . If they grow older.
This. As a parent I would be beyond angry but then again my child knows better. Those parents should pay for the damage.
StephyKay is offline  
Old 04-09-17, 02:54 PM
  #8  
Juwiee
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

They agreed to pay for the damages so we will be taking the car to the Lexus dealership to have it checked up. Just breaks my heart the car is so new.

Originally Posted by StephyKay View Post
This. As a parent I would be beyond angry but then again my child knows better. Those parents should pay for the damage.
Juwiee is offline  
Old 04-09-17, 04:50 PM
  #9  
Handi
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 60
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

As usual get 2-3 quotes, the dealership is one place but research and look for good paint shops. Possibly a good detailer can give you some feedback.
I hate to put it this way but look for a high quote so you get it repaired right. You can always refund them any $ that is remaining.
They are agreeing to pay for the repairs without knowing the cost, once you get a price and they see it they might change their minds. Also you now have to possibly have it repainted so it will/can affect resell value.
Plus the new isn't worn off yet, why can't this stuff happen after an hail storm or something like it.
Big Bad Bummer
Good Luck with the repairs.
Handi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch Repairs


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: