ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Scratch Repairs (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/852513-scratch-repairs.html)

Juwiee 04-07-17 06:45 PM

Scratch Repairs

Hi All,

I had an incident yesterday where I caught our neighbors kids climbing and playing on top of my car like a slide!!! I was so upset, there were foot prints all over the car. Then after reviewing the hood I noticed there were light scratches most likely they had gravel under their feet when they were walking on the car. Gosh still upset! The car is only 4 months old, ugs. I was planning to bring the car to the Lexus Dealership and have them evaluate the car and let me know how much it would be to fix the scratches and any other damages that may have happened and bill the neighbor parents for it. I was just wondering would the dealership do a full evaluation and fix all the scratches? It just breaks my heart I've worked so hard for this car and it's still brand new. I also called the police and had them do the report and took pictures so we have something on paper incase they don't pay for the damages. What would you do?

lesz 04-07-17 07:46 PM

Did the scratches penetrate past the clear coat? If you are not sure, gently run a finger nail across the scratches. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it is definitely through the clear coat. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, the scratches likely haven't gone through the clear coat.

If they have not gone through the clear coat, the scratches should be fairly easy to remove with a mildly abrasive polish. Any decent body shop should be able to do that in a short amount of time, but, if you want to try to do it yourself, I'd suggest trying to use the same 3M polishes that many of the shops would use. The 3M Machine Glaze is a mildly abrasive polish that should remove surface scratches in the clear coat. After using the Machine Glaze, you can use 3M Hand Glaze, which will bring back the shine to its original level.

If, however, the scratches have penetrated through the clear coat, the only way to do the repair properly will be to refinish the panel. What color is your RX? With some colors, getting a good paint match, if refinishing is required, should be fairly simple with just a panel-to-panel match, but, with some of the multi-stage pearls, such as pearl whites, atomic silver, etc., getting a satisfactory paint match could require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Good luck.

Juwiee 04-07-17 09:26 PM

Hi,

I don't think the scratches are that deep. From what my other neighbors said. I am just so annoyed it even happened. The color of the car is a dark grey. I'm going to go to the dealer and have them review the car.

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 9828746)
Did the scratches penetrate past the clear coat? If you are not sure, gently run a finger nail across the scratches. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it is definitely through the clear coat. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, the scratches likely haven't gone through the clear coat.

If they have not gone through the clear coat, the scratches should be fairly easy to remove with a mildly abrasive polish. Any decent body shop should be able to do that in a short amount of time, but, if you want to try to do it yourself, I'd suggest trying to use the same 3M polishes that many of the shops would use. The 3M Machine Glaze is a mildly abrasive polish that should remove surface scratches in the clear coat. After using the Machine Glaze, you can use 3M Hand Glaze, which will bring back the shine to its original level.

If, however, the scratches have penetrated through the clear coat, the only way to do the repair properly will be to refinish the panel. What color is your RX? With some colors, getting a good paint match, if refinishing is required, should be fairly simple with just a panel-to-panel match, but, with some of the multi-stage pearls, such as pearl whites, atomic silver, etc., getting a satisfactory paint match could require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Good luck.

Luffy808 04-08-17 11:06 PM

Well I hope you make the parents pay for that damage!

Juwiee 04-09-17 08:29 AM

Me too! I feel like just because the scratches are light doesn't mean they should get away with it and we get stuck with the bills. Ugs.

Originally Posted by Luffy808 (Post 9829671)
Well I hope you make the parents pay for that damage!

ggebhardt 04-09-17 10:03 AM

I know what would have happened to me if I jumped on the neighbor's car. My parents would have left a last impression on my rear end.

If kids do do this when they are young just imagine the lack of respect they will have when they grow older . . If they grow older.

StephyKay 04-09-17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ggebhardt (Post 9829880)
I know what would have happened to me if I jumped on the neighbor's car. My parents would have left a last impression on my rear end.

If kids do do this when they are young just imagine the lack of respect they will have when they grow older . . If they grow older.

This. As a parent I would be beyond angry but then again my child knows better. Those parents should pay for the damage.

Juwiee 04-09-17 02:54 PM

They agreed to pay for the damages so we will be taking the car to the Lexus dealership to have it checked up. Just breaks my heart the car is so new.

Originally Posted by StephyKay (Post 9830080)
This. As a parent I would be beyond angry but then again my child knows better. Those parents should pay for the damage.

Handi 04-09-17 04:50 PM

As usual get 2-3 quotes, the dealership is one place but research and look for good paint shops. Possibly a good detailer can give you some feedback.
I hate to put it this way but look for a high quote so you get it repaired right. You can always refund them any $ that is remaining.
They are agreeing to pay for the repairs without knowing the cost, once you get a price and they see it they might change their minds. Also you now have to possibly have it repainted so it will/can affect resell value.
Plus the new isn't worn off yet, why can't this stuff happen after an hail storm or something like it.
Big Bad Bummer
Good Luck with the repairs.