RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help! Urgent! Ignition stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 01:24 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Urgent! Ignition stuck

Hi everyone. I bought myself a 2001 rx300 with 125k about 2-3 months ago. Today, the ignition won't turn. The ignition is stuck at 'lock' position. The steering isn't locked, I can turn it left and right easily. I even tried my spare key. When I place the key in with the driver door open, the car makes continuous chiming sound. I tried to turn it back and forth but it stuck at 'lock'. I guess there's a pin stuck in there, but that's just a blind guess.

I did some research and it seems as there are a few tricks: use w40 or ignition lubricating oil to oil the key and inserting it in and out the ignition, then use a hammer and lightly tap the key; another member actually 'rock' the car back and forth to turn it on.

I will try these tricks tomorrow. But if all end failed, I have to option but to replace the ignition cylinder.

My question is replacing the ignition cylinder something I can do myself? Is there a DIY tutorial out there for ignition cylinder replace?

If you know any tip that may help me, please share now! I really appreciate!
Old 07-16-11, 01:32 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The trick of lightly "tapping" the key is the most likely to work. If you have done the search you know how many "butts" that has saved. The dealer certainly isn't going to tell you that, and miss so much of your "green"!
Old 07-16-11, 06:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
The trick of lightly "tapping" the key is the most likely to work. If you have done the search you know how many "butts" that has saved. The dealer certainly isn't going to tell you that, and miss so much of your "green"!
x2, the tapping will probably work. I've used that technique on other cars in the past.
Old 07-16-11, 10:23 AM
richonline
Rookie

Why is tapping trick? using hammer on to hit the key lightly ...? thanks
Old 07-16-11, 12:21 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

This morning I sprayed WD-40 on the keys (both master and spare) and into the ignition barrel. After a few time wriggling the key, tapping it with a hammer, The key still couldn't turn.

One of my friend told me to spray a lot of WD-40 into the ignition barrel and leave it for 2-3 hours. Hopefully the stuck part inside got released.

I also called Lexus of Westminster part department. They quote me $28x.xx for the ignition cylinder. I really hate that.
Old 07-16-11, 12:30 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Here's what I feel about the stuck mechanism inside.

After a few time tapping with no result, I start investigating the inside. As you see, Lexus key is flat and has 2 sides. By leaning the key downward and slowly inserting it into the ignition, I can feel the top side (of the ignition barrel) would fit very smoothly (Please note that by leaning the key downward, I actually hit the upper part of the ignition barrel.) But when I leaning the key upward, and hit the lower part of ignition barrel, the tip of the key went half way in and I hit a dip inside.

So by that, I can conclude that the top part of the barrel is ok, but the bottom has 1 ditch/depression in the middle. I would say the ditch is about 1 to 2 mm wide.

I then gently pointed the tip of key into the ditch, sprayed more WD-40 in, and tapping and wriggling. After a few trials, I tried inserting the key leaning downward in and out and I would barely feel the ditch now, but it's still there and just barely feel it.

At this point, the lock is still not turning. I will update again in a few hours.
Old 07-17-11, 12:46 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richonline
Why is tapping trick? using hammer on to hit the key lightly ...? thanks
If you do a search for it, the procedure is explained thoroughly.
Old 07-17-11, 06:10 PM
Lorider680
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if most ignition cylinders are the same, but my GTO has very similer issue,(especially in summer). There is a floating bobber that moves up the ramp and with time, there is a divet that becomes so large it, eventully get stuck in there and won't turn. Most metal cylanders are soft and wear over time. A new cylinder shoulnd't be to hard to put in and the key will stay inside the tumblers. Try spraying compressed air in the key hole to cool it off and harden the metal. It might work.
F
Old 07-17-11, 08:10 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

All my effort trying went failed. Nothing helped. WD-40, tapping, wriggling, etc.. all failed.
Old 07-17-11, 08:16 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

I went to Lexus Westminster part. They have the cylinder at $307, and they said I couldn't replace the cylinder unless I can move the key to 'acc' position (mine is at 'lock' position and unable to move.)

The part guy connect me to a locksmith. He quoted me $150 for an easy fix, if not easy, he would have to charge me $290 to change something inside the cylinder.

He's coming tomorrow morning. I hope this will all end by then.
Old 07-18-11, 12:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lorider680
I'm not sure if most ignition cylinders are the same, but my GTO has very similer issue,(especially in summer). There is a floating bobber that moves up the ramp and with time, there is a divet that becomes so large it, eventully get stuck in there and won't turn. Most metal cylanders are soft and wear over time. A new cylinder shoulnd't be to hard to put in and the key will stay inside the tumblers. Try spraying compressed air in the key hole to cool it off and harden the metal. It might work.
F
???????????????????
Old 07-18-11, 07:25 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

First I would not have used wd40, I use graphite powder...Hope you resolved the problem..
Old 07-18-11, 10:02 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

I paid $150 for the locksmith tech. It all took 1 minute for him. He took the cylinder out and clean it up. There was very little dust inside he said. What a bad weekend!
Old 07-18-11, 10:16 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Please remember to not use WD after this, graphite powder is the locks friend...
Old 07-21-11, 08:10 PM
Lorider680
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorider680
F

???????????????????
Floating bobber= pin that locks/unlocks the steering wheel.
divet= end point of pin that engages lock for steering wheel
tumblers= mechanisim that key fits into which allows for the ignition to be turned on.

Yea, it's pretty hard for me to explain, heck it might not even be close to the actual design.
F