Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally made the damn install appointment!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 10:01 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I am VERY surprised the stock cat cracked. If you can take a picture that would be great.

Cats generate a LOT of heat as they catalyze the exhaust chemicals. Their cases are built with this in mind and are tough. Most common is a problem with the core material which can melt and or clog and or crack.

You could substitute an aftermarket core by cutting and welding the stock flanges to the new cat. This would require building a jig off the stock cat, cutting the flanges off, cutting the new cat case, aligning and welding the old flanges to the new cat. This then becomes a bolt in. If a future replacement is needed you will have the jig. I am not certain if there is a left and right cat or if each is the same.

Regardless, your exhaust noise was present right after the header install. This would NOT be caused by the headers. Most likely the part had a hairline crack already and was stressed by removing and re-installing.

Keep us posted.

Stock cat Y pipe end:
Attached Thumbnails Finally made the damn install appointment!-im000363.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 10:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Stock cat header end.
Attached Thumbnails Finally made the damn install appointment!-im000362.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 12:34 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks J for the assistance. I will keep you advised on this issue. As a little side note. I was running a PO430 code for a while (but no odd noise) BEFORE I replaced all O2 sensors...now I have no codes (for the last 2 mos) but have this exhaust leak noise. I want to get this fixed ASAP.

Could it be that my cats were getting overheated by bad readings from bad O2 sensors resulting in the computer throwing the PO430 code at that time? If so, I could have permanently damaged one of the cats and others may be on their way out as well for all I know.
Old 02-20-09, 10:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just curious why you dont just go with some high flow performance cats if you go new instead of OEM?
Old 02-20-09, 07:26 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
just curious why you dont just go with some high flow performance cats if you go new instead of OEM?
Well, I have read in many places that our cats are already VERY hi-flowing...and that an aftermarket hi-flow cat may actually hurt performance. Maybe someone else can chime in on this...
Old 02-20-09, 08:03 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong here... but aftermarket hi-flow cats tend to be a waste of time if you find your stock cats too restrictive... just delete the cat and get an 02 simulator instead of spending money on a hi-flow cat which may still perform inefficiently...

like i said.. i could be wrong.. just my .02
Old 02-20-09, 08:09 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djspawn00
I could be wrong here... but aftermarket hi-flow cats tend to be a waste of time if you find your stock cats too restrictive... just delete the cat and get an 02 simulator instead of spending money on a hi-flow cat which may still perform inefficiently...

like i said.. i could be wrong.. just my .02
.02 cents is infinitely better than zero cents. My response is, - some of us live in California, we can't do it; We need cats.
Old 02-21-09, 08:17 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Rock is right... stock cats probably outflow most aftermarket "high flow" cats.

Back to back testing of a GS430 Y pipe, which has a center single cat, was the SAME power as with a GS400 Y pipe which has a center resonator (straight through open pipe design).

Cats also act as a one way check valve which tends to help low speed response and power. Peak power at high RPMs is probably under 10rwhp going catless and less at lower RPMs. No need to pollute needlessly and of course risk the consequences of a citation.
Old 04-11-09, 01:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, I just got back from getting my car dyno'd...finally.

I am a little embarassed and a little sad and have a sense of defeat. . $250 dollars later (cost of re-tune and dyno pulls). I am NOT dropping anmore money into this car to make it faster; the only way to make a REAL difference is FI hands down or throw one of those HP Lextreme longblock engines in there.lol

The results:

45 degrees and rainy

281.8whp
306wtq

13.2 a/f correction (the tuner mentioned that since I have cats on my car I am really probably running 12.9 but he mentioned that it wasn't making anymore power by leaning it out anymore so he left it at those numbers.

I screwed up in a boatload of posts I had previously written and I apologize to my CL friends...I thought my car previously made 269.4whp (so I rounded to 270whp) and 295wtq. When in reality the tuner pulled up my last year's results and it was 267.1whp and 291wtq. So my TRUE net gains from the headers and a re-tune with the Apexi Neo are: +14.7whp and +15wtq.

Just to show the importance of a correct tune - before he started the re-tune he conected the Neo and changed a setting (that I messed up on accident right after I got the headers installed; it was the MAF sensor setting) in order to start the car.

If you all recall I was upset right after the header install because I said it felt like my car LOST power...well in my case IT DID! Today, when he reconnected it with the old tune he was getting 263whp max (today's baseline) whereas pre-header with correct tune I got 267.1whp (last year). So the overall gain from what I was running with since I got my headers is probably close to 20whp and 20-25wtq (because the Neo had been disconnected this entire time).

So, in order for a GS400 to achieve 265-270whp and 290-295wtq you will have to have the following mods:

Intake
Exhaust
A/F controller

With the above list and addition of headers you will see 280-285whp and 305-310wtq.

So overall gains (from bone stock) with I/H/E and A/F controller is roughly 40-45whp and 55-60wtq. "Assuming" that there is in fact a 20% loss in power due to the drivetrain my car is now at ~353hp and ~383tq (the torque numbers may be inflated a bit due to my torque converter though).

So there you have it guys. The car feels GREAT though and VERY quick I noticed a lot more ooomph especially of the line but I really couldn't "test" too much today because as mentioned earlier in this post it is raining today.

Thanks for following my modding threads and results.
The following users liked this post:
cazzola (02-18-21)
Old 04-11-09, 01:41 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job Rock very solid numbers.
Old 04-11-09, 02:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice! I know it's not quite what you were shooting for but the #'s aren't as important as how the car feels. Great gains over stock for sure!
Old 04-11-09, 06:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ND_OlmCLc
Warm-up and tuning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3zg5Vdg8fA
One of the last runs of the day...

I will upload both last year's and today's dyno sheets on Monday when I get to work; I don't have a scanner at home.
The following users liked this post:
cazzola (02-16-21)
Old 04-11-09, 06:39 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Nice! I know it's not quite what you were shooting for but the #'s aren't as important as how the car feels. Great gains over stock for sure!
Yeah, I was hoping for 290-295whp...I was roughly 10whp off I thought the headers would have gained me 17-18 as what others have said and I figured with a synergistic effect that a re-tune of the Neo would squeeze out another 3-4whp. I was wrong on both counts. Only managed to gain around 14-15whp with both the headers and the re-tune.

Oh well, I'll live. There's always hope for an ISF in the next year or so perhaps. I wish our cars weren't so damn heavy because they DO make decent power and they are well built.
Old 04-11-09, 07:12 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome runs, love reading your updates! do you have a complete mod list somewhere?

great numbers, do you have any plans on taking it to the drag strip?
Old 04-11-09, 07:22 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice numbers, did you ever test a 0-60 time or 1/4 mile time before the headers? also how much did all this modification cost you? was it worth it and do you recommend it to others? Can't remember are you running a full catback or just rear exhaust?

Quick Reply: Finally made the damn install appointment!