Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 10:19 AM
8urvtak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Hello forum members, well ive been lurking the forum with alot of great info, recently few days ago my 94 sc400 transmission started to act weird, it would only happen when im going slow , for example im accelerating slowly and have to slow down , I can hear and almost feel like tumping couple times, so I check my transmission fluid and sure enough is almost dry, I add more of the transmission and couple days later, the tumping is still there, could it be the torque converter? I noticed that when the engine is cold and is warming up ill changed to drive and the car would engage hard? Is this related? Any help would be appreciated and hopefully one of you great members have gone through the same im having right now, thanks
Old 10-06-11, 10:34 AM
OBEY414
Rookie

what do you mean by tumping lol? Also does it happen when letting of the gas pedal? is it like a "small vibration" where you can almost feel it on the gas pedal and steering wheel?
Old 10-06-11, 10:39 AM
blueboost6
Rookie

Thumbs up

How low? How much fluid did it take to get it to the full mark on the trans. dip stick
Old 10-06-11, 01:55 PM
8urvtak
Driver School Candidate

Lol yea specially when I let go of the gas at a really slow pace, and yea I filled it till the hot Indicator as it says to be in the manual, and well really low like the very tip of the dipstick.
Old 10-06-11, 01:58 PM
8urvtak
Driver School Candidate

By the way no vibration whatsoever, it shifts fine when I go to work and everything, its just when im going slow its when I hear it and feel it sort of in my pedal, its as if theres a gremlin knocking where the transmission is at lol
Old 10-06-11, 05:23 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a complete fluid flush, not just drain and refill. If you really want your SC to be in good running condition it's really gonna cost you alot at first, specially if it was neglected by the previous owner, like mine, so don't be stingy, anyways it's a Lexus, it is gonna be worth it. Here's a guide how to do it the right way, and if it's leaking fix the leak first and make sure you change the oil filter since you're already in there;
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

Now, regarding the jerk you feel when you shift it, it's really very simple, it took me awhile to find out and I feel really stupid that I didn't look into it right from the beginning. So you're basically being spoon fed, POST #31;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...problem-3.html

Try this one also, it just might make a difference;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...em-w-pics.html

Get back to us with the results after you do everything, good luck!

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-06-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 06:12 PM
8urvtak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks kingphilip, I will look into what your suggesting and appreciate your time on your response and will post on the results, by the way shes at 194,xxx.. Ive seen around here and its been kind of a controversial about the "flush" and many people saying that it should not be done with a high mileage car, is this just a myth? Im a very maintenance freak and I love the car so every noise I hear I get right into it until shes flawless, I replace her oil every 3k and what not, shocks are also soon to be replaced, thanks for your replies,
Old 10-06-11, 07:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, the higher the mileage of cars, the more it's prone to gaskets leaking and bushings being shot. So I don't really see the problem there, but I see a big problem with fluids not being replaced/flushed as often as possible.

By the way, that website I first linked to you, is gonna do alot of wonders for you so might as well put it into favorites like the rest of us here. It's a guide for an LS although we all have the same engine as long as it's followed by "400" after the letters.

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-06-11 at 07:26 PM.