RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is this how your transmission shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 01:08 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is this how your transmission shifts?

I recently purchase a 2014 RX350. It has 52K miles.

Is this how your transmission acts?.....
1. Say you're on the freeway and you decide to pass... So you press on the gas. There is about a full 1 second delay before the transmission shifts and you accelerate. (I understand that all transmissions have to take a sec. to shift, but I feel like this transmission really does take it's time).
2. Building on the first scenario, say you're on the gas somewhat hard and you change your mind and just release the gas pedal completely... Is it normal for the transmission to just feel like it's in neutral for about 3 seconds? For example, right after releasing the pedal, if I were to press on it again it would be a good 2 to 3 seconds before it would be able to shift and get the car accelerating again.

My last car was a 2013 Nissan Maxima with a CVT.
I wonder if I've just gotten too used to that because the transmission in the RX350 doesn't feel right to me.

Dealer ran a scan for "Low transmission fluid" codes and didn't find any. (i'm not sure how low it needs to be before throwing a code).

I don't know if this raises any red flags for anyone but I thought I would also include that on the service history it says:
Front differential output seal is leaking
Repair: OUTPUT SHAFT BRG RET-OIL SEAL FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Part #: 9031138090

The original owner sold the car pretty much right after this repair. But it was also right when the warranty was ending too, so that could have been a possible reason for sale.

Thank you in advance for any help
Old 07-16-18, 01:20 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

First thing you need to drive another RX of similar year and mileage and see if it shifts the same. I suspect it will and that all is normal and you just have to become used to your new vehicle. Going from a CVT to a 6 speed automatic is a big change in shift feel.
Old 07-16-18, 01:43 PM
14RX350
Driver

Thanks for the reply Clutchless. I've read through a lot of the posts on here and really appreciate your contributions.

Ya, you're right... that's what I need to do. I guess I was just trying to avoid going back to the dealer.
I'd prefer a root-canal over dealing with them again.... much less painful.
Maybe I'll try Carmax.
Old 07-16-18, 03:42 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Please take my input with a grain of salt as I dont own a 350.

All automatic transmissions have a bit of lag which the manual shifts had a huge upper hand. One of the things the manufacturers did was to introduce 'learning pattern'. Reset/clearing of the history has been one way to remove old learning. In the Lexus lineup, 2nd gen GS has this. So when ever I drive my wife's GS, the vehicle feels different. Is it the same for RX350?

The other thing to do would be to try the "sports mode".

Salim
Old 07-16-18, 09:20 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I had an 04 Highlander that did that. They "flashed" the computer and the shift lag went away. That trans was never good at "down/up" on the accelerator.
It always had to think about which gear to use when using fancy footwork on the accelerator.
I agree with Clutchless regarding driving another RX same year and model as yours. Sorry your dealer experience wasn't very good. Mine wasn't either.
Ray A.
Old 07-16-18, 10:01 PM
14RX350
Driver

Thanks for the info guys
That makes a lot of sense about the "learning pattern" and resetting it. I'm gonna look into that and get back to you guys with any info I find and if it helps.
Thanks raylor4, one of the first things that came to my mind when I realized I was going to be moving was... "I'm gonna lose my mechanic!"... I had such a good one
BTW always loved the Avalon. I got a 2012 or so for a rental car once (they were out of everything so I got like a quadruple upgrade) and I was loving every second of it.

Last edited by 14RX350; 07-17-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 08:26 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

from Toyota's website about its 10 speed unit coming out.
A full 1 second wait for the downshift to happen doesn't seem right. My 01 RX with 254K miles doesn't do that. And it only has 4 speeds.
The differential output seals are there to seal the axle shafts against the differential and prevent fluid from leaking out of the differential. In a bad case, I think you'd hearing whining sounds and obviously oil leakage. However, i don't think it' s the symptoms you are explaining. Most cars shift within 1 second, if not 0.5 second. The newer cars do it even quicker.
Old 07-17-18, 08:40 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by MellonC00
edit snip ..
from Toyota's website about its 10 speed unit coming out.
edit snip

Very few things are win win. The 10 speed bring another factor in ... which gear is optimum syndrome ... with the overlap in gear range this process can be never-ending. With less gears the choice was easier and was done by TPS [when the driver stomps the gas pedal ... shift to lower gear]. With more gears and considerations for fuel economy, the game is complex.

I see a future with less gears and CVT (or its variation) as best solution. Check out the transmission on LC Hybrid. Folks will have to give up the feeling coupled with sound of a 'sporty' transmission.
Salim
Old 07-19-18, 06:31 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
All automatic transmissions have a bit of lag which the manual shifts had a huge upper hand.
Well, most do but not all. Our PDK doesn't have any lag and shifts faster than a manual but that isn't relevant to the RX.

Switching from one vehicle to the other I definitely have much lower expectations for the RX's transmission but I don't think it shifts as poorly as what the OP describes.

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I guess I was just trying to avoid going back to the dealer.
I'd prefer a root-canal over dealing with them again.... much less painful.
Is there only 1 Lexus dealer in your area?

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-19-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 07:27 AM
14RX350
Driver

Just to be clear, the transmission shifts great normally... It's just when it downshifts that it seems to get confused.
I actually have a couple dealers around so I'm definitely gonna try a new one next time I have to go in for warranty work. I'm gonna try to find a good private mechanic for everything else. And the small things I do myself.

My plan of action is.
1. Try another car of same year and model (I'm just gonna wait for an exact match to show up at my local Carmax and go drive it there. (I bought my car from them, so I don't feel too bad about wasting 30 min of their time)
2. Try resetting the memory to reset the "learning pattern"
3. I do plan to change the fluid, so I will report back if that made a difference. Just wanted to try the other things first to see the difference from each.
I have read through ALL the posts on transmission fluid change, so please everybody, no need to get into a discussion on that. My personal decision will be to change it. Drain and fill.

I'll report back on what I learn from each.

All in all, if nothing changes I will still be happy with the car as I normally just drive it pretty smoothly (and maybe that's why the car is so confused when it does have to downshift on those rare occasion when I step on it).
Old 07-19-18, 09:03 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunately I've seen multiple posts about shift lag when you seem to need it the most, and it has been referred to as the Lexus nanny (same one that won't let passengers fiddle with nav etc on the go) . Ours improved a bit after we removed the carbon filter immediately downstream of the engine air filter. It also improved a bit after drain and fill of the tranny fluid. I did about 4 drain and fills over a 1 month period and the color was not nearly as dark by the last one (only replaces under 2 quarts each time). YMMV
Old 07-19-18, 09:15 PM
salimshah

Next time just mash the gas pedal down when you want to down shift. Little action on the gas pedal will alway make the electronics think that there may be some other intention.

Salim
Old 07-20-18, 04:40 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

If the service history is recent it should still be under a warranty. We've had 2 Nissans with CVT's so I understand where you are coming from, but if it is a 3 second delay that is an issue. I would take it back and have them run another diagnostic. If it was purchased at a Lexus dealership hopefully they will make it right.
Old 07-21-18, 02:32 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2010 vs 2015 acceleration comparison

I recently traded my 2010 RX350 (130k miles) for a 2015 (18k miles). Immediately I noticed a down shifting lag on the 2015 that was not there on the 2010. The 2010 was quick to accelerate when you really needed it (quickly pressing the pedal to the floor). The 2015 takes about 2 seconds to down shift and accelerate. It acts like it's thinking about it before it takes off. Certainly not something you want in situations where you need quick acceleration. The acceleration is smooth and quick once it decides to do what a ask it to.

I do not remember seeing anything about a learning mode for the transmission. The gas mileage has been about 2 mpg better with the 2015 so it made me wonder if this was intentional for the 2015 (keeping it in a high gear as much as possible).

Any ideas on how to get the 2010 acceleration on the 2015 would be great.

Bob
​​

Last edited by Oldsig; 07-24-18 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-04-18, 06:37 AM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsig
I recently traded my 2010 RX350 (130k miles) for a 2015 (18k miles). Immediately I noticed a down shifting lag on the 2015 that was not there on the 2010. The 2010 was quick to accelerate when you really needed it (quickly pressing the pedal to the floor). The 2015 takes about 2 seconds to down shift and accelerate. It acts like it's thinking about it before it takes off. Certainly not something you want in situations where you need quick acceleration...

Any ideas on how to get the 2010 acceleration on the 2015 would be great.

Bob
​​
Get a 2010 RX350

Quick Reply: Is this how your transmission shifts?