Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Building oil pressure --on a fresh re-build GE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 09:46 PM
speedrace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building oil pressure --on a fresh re-build GE

I'm getting to the end of my re-build, and was looking for advice regarding the cranking of the engine with the plugs out to get that first build of oil pressure. I'll have the plenum off (Oh!--1992 SC300 2JZGE) so I can get get easy access to the spark plugs. I want to make sure I don't fry something electronic (Like the ign ignitor) -- so can I just un-plug the coil wire while I engage the starter?

I want to build up oil pressure, and then take a set of compression readings before I put the rest of the stuff back in place on top of the engine, and fire it up.
Old 04-26-08, 10:30 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

I just hook up the jump box, undo the ignitor, and crank it over, but my machine shop has some other thing that actually pressurizes the system without having to do that. It's something they use on motors before they put it on their engine dyno. I'll try to find out the name of it, but every time I get a motor balanced by them, they offer to lend it to me. I've just taken them up on it. I dunno why though...guess I'm just used to how I've been doing things now, lol. I really need to try it out though.
Old 04-27-08, 09:39 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

If its a fresh rebuild, you should have packed the oil pump with Vaseline and had loads of pre-lube in the bearing mating surfaces, cam journals, etc... and you will be fine to crank it for a bit w/o plugs to get oil circulating, then start it and let it idle (don't rev it) for3-5 minutes. Drain the oil, inspect the oil filter, new oil and repeat.

Its our process for every rebuild that goes out of here, and works flawlessly.

Ian