Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No Oil Pressure!! Na-t Sc300 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 06:59 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No Oil Pressure!! Na-t Sc300 Build

So the plan was to get oil flowing through the turbo and motor before firing it up but we are getting no oil through the feed line. Yes, the car does have oil in it. It has not been driven in almost a month. We kept the oil feed line unhooked from the turbo to make sure we had pressure in the line before connecting the line to the turbo.... nothing. We tapped the union bolt for the oil feed. We took out the INJ fuse and disconnected the Ignition Module so no fuel or spark while cranking. I ended up disconnecting the oil feed line from the fitting tapped in the union bolt expecting to see at least some oil.... nothing. Im just wondering how long you have to crank this car before it gets some oil. We were cranking for 5 - 10 sec intervals over a length of about 3 min, resting the starter throughout. Its starting to freak me out. We did swap the headgasket and send the head out to have it rebuilt. We also replaced the strainer and I did put in the strainer gasket. At this point Im going to pull off the oil filter housing and see if oil sprays out while cranking then. If not I will drop the pan and put the pick up in a "bowl" of oil so I can watch it try to pull the oil up. At this point if the union bolt isnt getting oil pressure I assume the entire motor is not getting oil either. Sorry for the length. I just wanted to be detailed.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ki

Last edited by KiPod; 04-26-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-26-08, 07:15 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02

1.rebuilding the head shouldn't have anything to so with this
2.cranking for 5-10 sec definitely creates oil pressure. Stop doing that as well because if you have no oil pressure. You've just spun your crank a hundred times with no lubrication which is VERY bad for the bearings.
3.sounds like the oil pickup tube either fell out and isn't picking up oil, or wasn't installed correctly?

I would start with the pickup tube..just my opinion though
Old 04-26-08, 07:43 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

It just seems hard to mess up 3 bolts. There are three bolts for the pick up. Two bolts where the gasket goes and one bolt for the support arm. I do think its a problem with the pick up though. Thats the only thing that makes any sense. I have heard of people who do not seal the pick up good enough and it just sprays oil rather than holding pressure. Tomorrow I will drop the pan and check it out. I just dont want to drop that pan again. Its not fun and sealed good.
Old 04-26-08, 08:23 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the plugs out? If not, its cranking very slowly. I always pack the oil pump with vaseline on a rebuild to create a draw that brings the oil up. If its cranking too slowly, you could crank for 10 second intervals forever and never get oil pressure.

Ian
Old 04-26-08, 08:37 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, We are upgrading injectors today anyway so we can pull the plugs at the same time. The plugs were still in before. A buddy of mine recomended pulling the plugs as well to let the motor spin faster. It didnt even cross my mind to take them out to relieve the pressure in the chamber.

Thanks guys
Old 04-26-08, 09:49 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

turning the motor this much with no lubrication is very bad fro it. whenever i put an engine on the dyno i always build up the oil pressure first with no plugs. having no plugs allows the motor to spin faster and easier to turn over. at the same time when there is pressure in the scylinder it forces the rod and mains closer to the bearings. if you dont have a film of lubrication it can damage the bearings in no time. when priming thwe motor always pull the plugs.

good luck and keep us updated.
Old 04-26-08, 10:01 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I wont get get a chance to work on it till tomorrow. I had a turbo mustang before and never had a problem building oil pressure with the plugs in place. I didnt think there would be an issue. I guess its different for each motor. I believe it will be okay once the plugs are removed. But like everything else, we shall see. It will spin so much faster without plugs. I just hope the oil comes quick also.
Old 04-27-08, 09:42 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Some motors never will no matter what you do. Depends on cranking speed and how much scavenge your oil pump has. That is why god invented pre-lube.

Ian
Old 04-27-08, 05:27 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

We dropped the oil pan and checked the pick up with my "bowl" method. It seemed to pull up some oil and it didnt leak out were the gasket goes so we bolted everything back up, crossed our fingers, and fired it up. Oil was coming out the feed line in about 20sec. Its all good now. Even though it was fine to begin with and we didnt have to take everything apart... again, it is good to have peace of mind knowing everything is as it should be. Now onto the exhaust work.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-08, 08:45 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by qksl2
Some motors never will no matter what you do. Depends on cranking speed and how much scavenge your oil pump has. That is why god invented pre-lube.

Ian

Have fun with the NA-T!

Ian
Old 04-29-08, 08:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm what na-t is this being built Ki? lol
Old 04-29-08, 10:21 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
Hmmm what na-t is this being built Ki? lol
Haha, whats up man. Its not mine, I swear. Its a little red SC whos big brother is a green LS. I sold my GS and I have a new toy now. Did you get your 2J in yet?
Old 04-29-08, 10:26 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KiPod
Haha, whats up man. Its not mine, I swear. Its a little red SC whos big brother is a green LS. I sold my GS and I have a new toy now. Did you get your 2J in yet?
Ah ha, it's some sneaky stuff going on lol. SC is in Sterling having 2J put in should be a couple more weeks. What's the new toy.
Old 04-29-08, 11:56 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Just like I told Smitty, I lost 2 doors and gained 200lbs..... with a drop top.