LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 03:31 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Valve Covers

Okay, I have a leak on the drivers side also the spark plug tube gaskets have leaked. I have been searching for a diagram for removing the covers. I have tried Alldtata, Techinfo and Chilton DIY. Not one shows these step. I get removing the air boxes and removing the heads. They all leave out the remove covers.

Does anyone have a file on this step? I just want to make sure i have all the info on this step.

Thx
Old 07-30-16, 03:41 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I wouldn't exactly call this an easy job, in fact I dread the day I have to do it.

A member on here posted a video on how he replaced his high pressure fuel pump gaskets, you'll have to complete this procedure as well, after the fuel pumps are off you can unscrew the valve covers and replace those gaskets. It's a two part process, you should do the fuel pump gaskets at the same time seeing as how the pumps have to come off anyway. There are several valve cover kits available online that also sell the fuel pump gaskets with it.

Old 07-30-16, 03:47 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Yes, I have seen this video too. It does not show the valve cover removal.

The shop i sometimes go to quoted me about 1100 to do it and replace the plugs. I am on the fence.

Thx
Old 07-30-16, 04:44 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Yes, I have seen this video too. It does not show the valve cover removal.

The shop i sometimes go to quoted me about 1100 to do it and replace the plugs. I am on the fence.

Thx
I would think that once you get the high pressure fuel pumps out of the way it should be a piece of cake, just remove the coils and bolts around the perimeter of the cover, no?

It does look like a royal pain in the rear to do, if you do it yourself, make sure you post about it. There isn't many - or any - people on here that have had it done, except for the guy in the video.

Eleven hundred bucks doesn't seem that bad, especially where they're going to replace the plugs...does that include parts? I wonder if they realize what they're getting themselves into?
Old 07-30-16, 06:59 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

It includes all parts. Not sure they know about fuel pumps. That is my concern doing this myself.

Just wish i could find section from the repair manual that covers this area.

Will keep looking.

Thx
Old 08-05-16, 05:03 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Well gave on doing this myself. Took it a shop i use often. They got into it today and realized that the fuel pump gaskets indeed are leaking too. Bad part they have to order the gaskets and they won't get it till next tuesday. Some of the plugs had oil on them.

Well will have plugs,valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube gaskets and fuel pump gaskets all done for about 900.

Wish i had the patience to do it myself but i hate messing with the fuel system.

Check back on tuesday.
Old 08-06-16, 04:31 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

900 is not a bad price for all said services. Just curious, how many miles on your LS?.
Old 08-06-16, 06:24 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Well gave on doing this myself. Took it a shop i use often. They got into it today and realized that the fuel pump gaskets indeed are leaking too. Bad part they have to order the gaskets and they won't get it till next tuesday. Some of the plugs had oil on them.

Well will have plugs,valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube gaskets and fuel pump gaskets all done for about 900.

Wish i had the patience to do it myself but i hate messing with the fuel system.

Check back on tuesday.
That sounds pretty darn good for this repair, including parts. When you factor in the high pressure pumps and all the electrical connectors on that huge harness...then the valve covers, plugs, tube seals...very good price and you won't have to deal with any of the aggravation.

I've said it a few times now...I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to do this repair.
Old 08-06-16, 07:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree that th price is right for all the work involved.
Old 08-06-16, 08:41 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

I just hit 110k that same day. Just wish the fuel pump gasket was available in town. So after that guess it should be good for another 100k.

Old 02-20-17, 07:05 PM
fblonk
Rookie

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello,

I had the opportunity to change the fuel pump gasket (23224-38010) that goes between the pump and valve cover. First,
I am a shade tree (computer guy by profession) but I found the replacement very easy. Here is what I did:

follow the video to remove the covers and passenger side panel to remove circuit breaker. Up to this point I found it useful.
I let the car sit overnight, pulled the circuit breaker and the car would not start (and no pressure was in the lines
I am not sure if it bleeds pressure over nite, (never had a problem starting) or that is by design. I followed the next
few proceedures, remove gas cap, Wait 10 minutes and remove Negative battery terminal and replace circuit breaker and cover.
I removed the intake air boxes to the throttle body. This is where I varied. I did not remove the wire harness or the computer.
I only remove the back two coil pack connectors and the connector to the fuel pump on the driver side pump. I followed
the video from this point. To remove the flex lines, remove the black holding connector at the top. The orange clips pull forward.
I used a flat head driver and gently slid them forward until they click and the with a slight squeeze the hoses popped right off.
I removed the insultion boot. I loosened the pipe clamp and removed the damper, and the pressure line connector.
I did not remove the small rubber hose to the metal pipe. I then removed the two nuts holding the pump on the valve cover and
slid the pump up and propped it up out of the way. I then removed the gasket (star side up) and the metal plate.
This is where I ran into problems. There are 2 small o rings that will need to be replaced that I was not aware of. Had to
scour the local part stores on a Sunday for o rings that worked. I would order them ahead of time FYI.
The job was very easy. I removed the seal and cleaned the area. I also put a little motor oil on the seal so it would seat easier.
I only did the drivers side, as it was the only one leaking but if I had the parts, it could have been done in under 2.5 hours.
I have not done a valve cover, but it cannot be much more work.
If I do one, I will post.
I may be doing the passenger side soon, I will try to do a document with step by step.
Hope this helps...
The following 3 users liked this post by fblonk:
diamente (05-20-18), eelliiss (06-18-21), Sherl (05-01-23)
Old 02-20-17, 07:24 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Good job! Yes, i shop had to also get the o-rings too. Hope you get a chance to better document it later.
The following users liked this post:
fblonk (02-22-17)
Old 03-07-17, 06:27 PM
fblonk
Rookie

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is the passenger side, step by step...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
The following users liked this post:
eelliiss (06-07-21)