LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fuel pump oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 10:27 AM
gridpower
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel pump oil leak

I am looking at a LS460 that in in very nice condition, but does have an issue where the fuel pump gasket needs to be replaced. it's leaking a bit of oil.

Wondering about how much that might cost to repair *rough estimate)?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (08-08-20)
Old 02-19-17, 12:02 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Are you talking about the ones on top of each valve cover?
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 02-19-17, 12:08 PM
gridpower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Are you talking about the ones on top of each valve cover?
yes..just one of them...
CamelKool (08-08-20)
Old 02-19-17, 04:03 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

When i took mine into my indy shop for the valve cover gasket leak they found the fuel pump leaking as well. No one on this site has ever done this job. My shop charged around 300 labor for valve cover and fuel pump gaskets. Add in parts and the shop mark up bill went to 500.

Hope this helps. As you can see labor is the killer.

Last edited by johnnyg66; 02-19-17 at 04:21 PM.
CamelKool (08-08-20)
Old 02-19-17, 04:29 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My indy charged me $452 for the fuel pump gasket.

Greg
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 02-19-17, 05:13 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think anyone who is getting this repair done for under $500 is getting a bargain, there's a pretty detailed "how to"video that someone posted about six months ago, it was a pretty involved job. Not something I'd recommend for the average do it yourselfer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
CamelKool (08-22-20), Parrokeete (10-31-21)
Old 02-19-17, 05:16 PM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll start off by saying that I have my flame suit on..............

I too had very slight oil seepage on both of my fuel pumps. I decided to do what many would NEVER do as a fix, but 5K miles later it is still bone dry and cost about $3. I started by using brake cleaner and removed all traces of oil on/around the fuel pump where it mounts on the valve cover. Wiped it dry, ensured it was dry by blowing compressed air all around the area and then began the "fix". Armed with a partially used tube of high temp black RTV automotive grade silicone, I began the high tech repair - apply a medium amount to tip of my index finger (with disposable glove on) and carefully smeared it on the joint between the pump and valve cover. I repeated this process until the entire perimeter was sealed up on both sides.

I am NOT the kind of person that will half a$$ something when it comes to a critical repair, but there is NO oil pressure at this seal, just leaks what ever happens to be splashing/spraying onto it from the inside of the valve cover. I would have NEVER tried this if there were any pressure what so ever - but there is none.

I have checked my "repair" several times over the last 6 months and 5K miles and both sides are dry as a bone - no more buring oil smell as it used to run down and drip onto the exhaust manifolds and no more oily coating on front subframe as I had previous to the fix. I had nothing to lose, because if it did leak, removing the silicone would not have been that difficult if the actual o-rings/gaskets needed replacing.

Also, its a 2008, not a 2014 or newer. Most people would probably use some very descriptive and not so nice words to describe my version of a fix, but I am happy and saved me ALOT of $$$ and/or aggravation by trying to do the fix the "right" way.
The following 3 users liked this post by zracer31:
CamelKool (08-22-20), fooldall1 (02-11-20), jdanielca (10-08-18)
Old 02-19-17, 05:33 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

NIce. But my leak was internal oil getting into the fuel itself.
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 02-19-17, 05:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zracer31

I too had very slight oil seepage on both of my fuel pumps. I decided to do what many would NEVER do as a fix, but 5K miles later it is still bone dry and cost about $3. I started by using brake cleaner and removed all traces of oil on/around the fuel pump where it mounts on the valve cover. Wiped it dry, ensured it was dry by blowing compressed air all around the area and then began the "fix". Armed with a partially used tube of high temp black RTV automotive grade silicone, I began the high tech repair - apply a medium amount to tip of my index finger (with disposable glove on) and carefully smeared it on the joint between the pump and valve cover. I repeated this process until the entire perimeter was sealed up on both sides.

I am NOT the kind of person that will half a$$ something when it comes to a critical repair, but there is NO oil pressure at this seal, just leaks what ever happens to be splashing/spraying onto it from the inside of the valve cover. I would have NEVER tried this if there were any pressure what so ever - but there is none.

I have checked my "repair" several times over the last 6 months and 5K miles and both sides are dry as a bone - no more buring oil smell as it used to run down and drip onto the exhaust manifolds and no more oily coating on front subframe as I had previous to the fix. I had nothing to lose, because if it did leak, removing the silicone would not have been that difficult if the actual o-rings/gaskets needed replacing.

Also, its a 2008, not a 2014 or newer. Most people would probably use some very descriptive and not so nice words to describe my version of a fix, but I am happy and saved me ALOT of $$$ and/or aggravation by trying to do the fix the "right" way.
​​​​​​​Good idea, I'm surprised it worked, but seeing how it did? Great. I'll give it a try when mine goes, I figure I'll be at around the 160,000 mark by then, it'll be worth the shot.
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 02-19-17, 07:24 PM
gridpower
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the responses. Now I know about what I should be negotiating regarding this issue.
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 02-20-17, 05:25 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer charged me around $350 to rebuild both oil seals in the fuel pump. I responded with a break down in another similar thread. Try searching and I'll post it if I can find it. Best of luck
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 03-03-17, 02:50 PM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack a bit but it is possible to damage this gasket doing a spark plug change? Reason i ask is i took my car in for a oil change and to replace the spark plugs. As soon as i go to take my car home i started smelling oil burning. Took it back and they say my fuel pump gasket is bad. It did not leak when i brought it in. And wanted to charge me an extra 515 bucks for it.
CamelKool (08-22-20)
Old 03-04-17, 04:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k311in
Sorry to hi-jack a bit but it is possible to damage this gasket doing a spark plug change? Reason i ask is i took my car in for a oil change and to replace the spark plugs. As soon as i go to take my car home i started smelling oil burning. Took it back and they say my fuel pump gasket is bad. It did not leak when i brought it in. And wanted to charge me an extra 515 bucks for it.
They would have to really screw up if they damaged your fuel pump gaskets...yes they are on the valve cover where your spark plugs are, but they'd have to hit your fuel pumps with a hammer or something. So I doubt they had anything to do with your fuel pump gaskets. They were probably leaking all along.

$515 doesn't sound like a bad price actually.
Old 07-24-18, 10:29 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer31

Love this - how is it holding up? Has anybody else tried it successfully?
Old 07-25-18, 05:20 AM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Follow up to my leaking fuel pump O rings with silicone.

It's been 7 + months since I did my "repair" with silicone and they are still BONE DRY - not a single hint of oil leaking or weeping. I'm very pleased so far. And in case you wonder how much I drive the car, well it is my daily driver. I have just went over 100K miles and all is good in the neighborhood!
CamelKool (08-22-20)

Quick Reply: Fuel pump oil leak