IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus enform- remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 09:58 PM
showat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also hate the you have to pay for it, you get one year and the package to keep using it is like $250 a year, thats a rip off, includes remote start from your fob
Old 07-21-15, 10:00 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got an Australian spec 350 F Sport.

I was so looking forward to Emform remote start plus other features it comes with.

In Australia (nanny state) due to safety reasons remote start is disabled so I was hoping to somehow hack it.

I just discovered that apparently U.S Emform utilizes satellite signal whereas Australia Enform utilizes GSM technology. In other words there is no way to get remote start working or obtain other alerts.

So freaking annoyed at the moment.
Old 07-22-15, 09:54 AM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Why doesn’t the engine continue to run if fob is detected when opening the door? Lexus has two zones of detection for the key, one for unlock feature and one for start feature. Try starting your car with the fob outside of the vehicle cabin, shouldn’t start, as the key fob needs to be inside the vehicle cabin in order to start. These detection zones are amazingly perceptive as to where the fob is. Anyway, when the door is unlocked or opened, since the start zone does not detect the fob within the proper zone, and the vehicle has been remotely started (defensive posture), the vehicle shuts off, needing to confirm valid credential with the primary credential, the key.
Great explanation! But now I'm curious if I had my window down, remote started the car, walked up to the car and positioned the key inside the car and unlocked it, would the car remain running? Stupid scenario but now curiosity got the best of me.
Old 07-22-15, 04:48 PM
ModehcepeD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Great explanation! But now I'm curious if I had my window down, remote started the car, walked up to the car and positioned the key inside the car and unlocked it, would the car remain running? Stupid scenario but now curiosity got the best of me.
Take it a step further and climb into your car through the window and see if it lets you drive off.
Old 07-22-15, 07:29 PM
Jacabc20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
so if not for cooling the car off or heating it up in the winter whats the purpose? that is, what'd u use it for in your other cars @Jacabc20/

* to show off the exhaust and I always like to let the car idle down beige taking off, etc. ceramic tint cuts down on so much heat and to just start it up just for convenience.

And the zone thing makes sense but others don't have this problem.

*question that I may try tomorrow as I semi call bs unless someone can chime in or Lexus engineers are just not smart: has anybody sone the remote start and the. Tried to drive off without the key. I can't believe it would. The fords, Chevy, etc would not go in drive unless the key was in it and with an actual key until you put the key in the ignition. If you hit the brake to put it in drove the vehicles all shut down.
Old 07-22-15, 07:42 PM
Jacabc20
Driver School Candidate

I think we are all missing a crucial point as I just confirmed it by trying it out. Since I never use it didn't dawn on me until now and my OCD got the best of me before I go to bed; you cannot remote start without having the doors locked therefore nobody can drive off with your car. As soon as you unlock the doors the engine Shuts down.

To me this is dumb as other companies have no problem with it. Lexus just has it where the engine shuts off after the door opens and others have it where you can open the door but it shuts off if you don't insert the keys do turn to on/ I believe you have to tap the start button with key fob In the car otherwise they shut down as soon as you touch the brake. There has to be a setting in the memory banks to change this we just need someone to figure this out. I can get the safety thing but we should have the choice otherwise this should be called a remote start restart. Ha.

Of course this is silly but did you guys see where hackers disabled that jeep? That was crazy.
Old 07-23-15, 04:25 PM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus should probably rename the feature and call it "Remote Pre-Cooling/Heating"... the name and definition of Remote Start is rather misleading... but hey, great feature non-the-less, anything for not sitting on hot leather.