IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus enform- remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 08:01 PM
zmoneyJD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus enform- remote start question

so from the Enform remote app, ive tried to start the car, and it works, but when i open the doors, it shuts off. this has happened multiple times, am i doing something wrong?
Old 06-09-15, 08:04 PM
jlv82
Driver School Candidate

That's normal, nothing wrong is a security feature.
Old 06-09-15, 08:05 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep its a security feature.. I'm all for it but the car should stay on if it detects the key within the unlock radius.
Old 06-09-15, 08:25 PM
zmoneyJD
Driver School Candidate

so then really, the remote start is pretty pointless?
Old 06-09-15, 08:28 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's the way I see it... but you can make the argument that it "warms up" the engine and I think you can start it so the car seat heaters or coolers can help heat/cool your seat before you get in your car.
Old 06-09-15, 09:03 PM
k3vn
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. Adjusts climate to 72 degrees. Will be useful for parking in the sun this summer. Huge bummer about the door thing but at least we have push start.
Old 06-09-15, 09:10 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It does turn off as a security feature but the remote start is a great feature. If you have the ventilated seats on when you turn off the car, it'll be back on when you remote start it so it doesn't feel like you're sitting in lava when you return to your car in the summer.

I do agree with Anthony that it should remain on if it detects the key in the unlock radius of the car door.
Old 07-17-15, 10:12 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not sure how I see it's a security feature.

I haven't tried this, but what happens if the car is running and someone got in without a key and tried to start driving?
Old 07-17-15, 10:56 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azmojo
I'm not sure how I see it's a security feature.

I haven't tried this, but what happens if the car is running and someone got in without a key and tried to start driving?
Well its a security feature because it turns off to prevent them from drving off

Im assuming the second part your asking is what happens if you start the car and take the key out? Probably nothing will happen and you still drive otherwise the first part would be counter intuitive.
Old 07-17-15, 12:12 PM
showat
Driver School Candidate

yup i checked with a dealer once it is on, and you leave( with the key) and its still on anybody can just drive off, It will stay on until you turn it off then it will need a key again, Its a security feature but they should of engineered the key communication better where you can keep it on and it will turn off if moved out of park without the key.
Old 07-17-15, 01:09 PM
TheMannon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by showat
yup i checked with a dealer once it is on, and you leave( with the key) and its still on anybody can just drive off, It will stay on until you turn it off then it will need a key again, Its a security feature but they should of engineered the key communication better where you can keep it on and it will turn off if moved out of park without the key.
This is how my Dodge worked. To actually drive the vehicle you had to have the key present and then go through the normal start process (foot on brake, press start)

Like the OP, I thought something was wrong. Seems to me that all of the extra engine start and stops would have an impact in the long-term.
Old 07-19-15, 06:54 PM
350Nva
Driver

Its great for warming up the car. Since it takes the past climate control settings and I know I need to defrost the windows every morning in the winter, i leave the features on and when I start the car using the remote, it can defrost by the time I'm walking out the door.
Old 07-21-15, 11:55 AM
ModehcepeD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It is a must have feature during the summer here in Phoenix.... One time I forgot my A/C off and it was blazing hot in that car and those seats felt like 500 degrees.
Old 07-21-15, 07:19 PM
Jacabc20
Driver School Candidate

This pissed me off so bad. You can cut it any way you want but it's useless as a remote start. Your car both heats up and cools off much quicker by driving the car though I can see how some use it for that as well.. a remote start that you have to restart isn't a remote start because you have to restart it right?Gmc and Chevy do not have this feature. And you can reprogram fords to not shut off as they shut off by default too.
I would pay lexus for the suite package that has enform if someone could figure out to have the engine not shut off.
I hated my mustang remote start until I found out how to reprogram it. I used it all the time when it didn't shut off after opening the door.
***end rant.
I do like if I forgot where the heck I parked to use the gps, and you can monitor "guests" driving if someone else is in your car etc. that part of the app is cool.
As a remote start : broken.
As a heat and cool your car off feature: sure though it won't and don't use it for that.
Old 07-21-15, 07:29 PM
starbai
Intermediate

so if not for cooling the car off or heating it up in the winter whats the purpose? that is, what'd u use it for in your other cars @Jacabc20/

Quick Reply: Lexus enform- remote start question