VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

uas bags on stock struts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 08:36 PM
909LS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question uas bags on stock struts?

i know you can do it just wondering if anybody has done or seen it just wanted to see what the drop height is like . seems that most people on the forum are running coilovers with the uas bags any pics or knowlege is appeciated!!!
Old 01-01-08, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i believe the white 3gs with the job design kits have uas on stock shocks, the car is slammed. i don't know about the ls400 to be exact

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=job+design
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=job+design
Old 01-01-08, 09:41 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a really really bad idea to us air on stock struts...waste of time and money. imo
Old 01-01-08, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm
Sounds like a really really bad idea to us air on stock struts...waste of time and money. imo
and your reason is?
Old 01-02-08, 12:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and your reason is?
because unless you're running at stock heigh for the bulk of the time, the shocks wont react well to the newer (lower) ride height, ESPECIALLY with such a heavy car as the LS.

909LS, be specific, do you want to know if running your original OEM shocks is alright (def. not recco'd) or if you can use a regular SHOCK (ie, tokico, KYB, or the like) instead of a coilover.

if you wanna use a shock either the Tokico or the KYB (my choice since thats pretty much the same shock as what airrunner uses)
Old 01-02-08, 02:25 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
because unless you're running at stock heigh for the bulk of the time, the shocks wont react well to the newer (lower) ride height, ESPECIALLY with such a heavy car as the LS.

909LS, be specific, do you want to know if running your original OEM shocks is alright (def. not recco'd) or if you can use a regular SHOCK (ie, tokico, KYB, or the like) instead of a coilover.

if you wanna use a shock either the Tokico or the KYB (my choice since thats pretty much the same shock as what airrunner uses)

you're wrong.
*** NOTE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO MCPHERSON SLIP-OVER BELLOW AIR SPRINGS/BAGS AKA "UAS BAGS" NOT SLEEVE-TYPE AIR BAG AKA LEXUS OEM AIR SUSPENSION***
while the shocks have something to do with the absorption and rebound of the shock piston, the reaction to piston travel is insignificant. compression of the bag remains at a constant psi - it will not compress like how springs do. the car sits on the uas bags themselves and have constant psi pressure. that means the movement of the shock piston will depend on how stiff the car reacts to the road. the stiffer the ride, the more likely the car will start thumping on the bag due to piston travel. the softer the ride, the less likely the car will start thumping on the bag. softer ride = lower psi. the lower the psi, the easier it is for the bag to compress and react. a simple example: pump a basketball at the recommended psi, then deflate it 5-10psi. now you can compress the ball with your hands easier. the shock is only there for the practicality of mounting and partially for oscillation. as long as the car isn't on its bumpstops 24/7 then it is fine. the only time u know when you are in trouble is when you are in the position where the car creates so much lift that the car is no longer sitting on the bag and is lifted off from the bag and then when the car finally returns back into position gives a very harsh thump on the bag due to the lack of shock absorption and constant psi to the bags. and that's when you have to start figuring out how much lower of psi to set your car at in order to reduce the stiffness that causes this thump. you lower the psi to the point where oscillation is within reason. a basketball still bounces if it is short on air pressure. it just absorbs more force and reacts less (bounces lower) to the initial force made on the ball.

edit: there is a solution to this, and i think it involves mounting the bag to a custom top strut bracket and a bumpstop of some sort between the bottom portion of the uas bag and the spring seat

and as a rule of thumb, almost everyone wants to ride low anyways so it doesn't even matter anymore if the shocks or good or bad. the car will only react to the psi that you give to the bags and from personal feedback you should already know where to set it at so it wont be so rough. air compression has a different tolerance than spring compression. the drop depends on how you put it all together. with stock shocks the only thing u can do is make an upper strut bracket to eliminate the unnecessary height gaps

Last edited by chubby; 01-02-08 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 03:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hmm, while i havent personally worked on the type of airbag that UAS uses (ive only ever personally worked on old-school air susp. i can see the logic in what you're saying

that and the fact that you are running air il take ur word over mine

im still surprised that poyet or one of the other AirSusp. gurus hasnt chimed in yet
Old 01-02-08, 05:11 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Also keep in mind, when you ride at a lower ride height, the bags tend to bounce more since there is less air in the bags, but I usually ride at a reasonable ride height. I can't lay it on the ground with the UAS system, but I think that's a function of the stock Infiniti suspension setup.
Old 01-02-08, 08:30 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I do not ride super low on my Air-runner's, I ride at a comfortable height, I want to drive my car as comfortable, trouble free, close to stock like feel as possible.

I make sure my airrunner struts have good, healthy strut travel, I make sure my air-runner struts won't bottom out or top out.
Old 01-02-08, 08:37 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

just curious,

if your air system is on stock struts designed for a certain travel, and you take that strut and drive on it at a fraction of the travel, how do u expect that strut to be of any use ?

Originally Posted by chubby
you're wrong.
*** NOTE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO MCPHERSON SLIP-OVER BELLOW AIR SPRINGS/BAGS AKA "UAS BAGS" NOT SLEEVE-TYPE AIR BAG AKA LEXUS OEM AIR SUSPENSION***
while the shocks have something to do with the absorption and rebound of the shock piston, the reaction to piston travel is insignificant. compression of the bag remains at a constant psi - it will not compress like how springs do. the car sits on the uas bags themselves and have constant psi pressure. that means the movement of the shock piston will depend on how stiff the car reacts to the road. the stiffer the ride, the more likely the car will start thumping on the bag due to piston travel. the softer the ride, the less likely the car will start thumping on the bag. softer ride = lower psi. the lower the psi, the easier it is for the bag to compress and react. a simple example: pump a basketball at the recommended psi, then deflate it 5-10psi. now you can compress the ball with your hands easier. the shock is only there for the practicality of mounting and partially for oscillation. as long as the car isn't on its bumpstops 24/7 then it is fine. the only time u know when you are in trouble is when you are in the position where the car creates so much lift that the car is no longer sitting on the bag and is lifted off from the bag and then when the car finally returns back into position gives a very harsh thump on the bag due to the lack of shock absorption and constant psi to the bags. and that's when you have to start figuring out how much lower of psi to set your car at in order to reduce the stiffness that causes this thump. you lower the psi to the point where oscillation is within reason. a basketball still bounces if it is short on air pressure. it just absorbs more force and reacts less (bounces lower) to the initial force made on the ball.

edit: there is a solution to this, and i think it involves mounting the bag to a custom top strut bracket and a bumpstop of some sort between the bottom portion of the uas bag and the spring seat

and as a rule of thumb, almost everyone wants to ride low anyways so it doesn't even matter anymore if the shocks or good or bad. the car will only react to the psi that you give to the bags and from personal feedback you should already know where to set it at so it wont be so rough. air compression has a different tolerance than spring compression. the drop depends on how you put it all together. with stock shocks the only thing u can do is make an upper strut bracket to eliminate the unnecessary height gaps
Old 01-02-08, 11:42 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrMark
Also keep in mind, when you ride at a lower ride height, the bags tend to bounce more since there is less air in the bags, but I usually ride at a reasonable ride height. I can't lay it on the ground with the UAS system, but I think that's a function of the stock Infiniti suspension setup.
so true! if the air springs/bags are positioned to sit too low on stock struts and if you want to drive 'considerably lower' than normal height there will be nothing to hold up the strut assembly but the shocks, causing that nasty bounce and thump. it can cause a lot of travel and destroy the shocks themselves. i dont know much about infiniti/nissan suspension, but from what i last saw and remember from my 240, their coil springs/spring seats/top strut mounts are HUGE! big pita when trying to mount uas bags securely. ls400s are so much more forgiving (and drops much lower too suckas!)

Originally Posted by mikemareen
just curious,

if your air system is on stock struts designed for a certain travel, and you take that strut and drive on it at a fraction of the travel, how do u expect that strut to be of any use ?
shocks still serves the purpose to dampen the ride, but the way UAS aerosport bag is designed most of the dampening comes from the air springs/bags, and further dampening, if any, happens from the shocks... airrunner people are very fortunate to have a single unit to eliminate these ity bity flaws.

just a quick tip: i did some research.. if anybody was looking for a solution to plumbing/trunk setup with manual valves, get a 5 gal tank that has 4 ports lined up so you can mount the valves directly to the tank, eliminating the use of the spare tire well! looks just as great and compact as electronic 2way valves!

Last edited by chubby; 01-02-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 01:22 PM
Balling
Pole Position

wow
chubby, the **** your saying, is making me laugh.
i dare you to run stock shocks at a slight drop on uas, and see how long they last, or how well they dampen.

Theres a reason i bought coilovers for hte UAS bags.
Old 01-02-08, 02:09 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

I have been in more than one car on UAS bags and aftermarket performance struts and they do ride slightly smoother than my UAS on my Algernon coils, but they dont handle nearly as well or ride nearly as nice super low. With my setup currently my car feels the same at 45 psi all around or 90 psi all around, but the handling is WAY better at 90psi.

My friend did the UAS bags on his A8 with factory struts and they lasted 3 weeks before 3 of them blew out. I have also driven Vinces(pagongLS) old Q45 on UAS with factory struts and was not impressed with a single aspect of that suspension.
Old 01-02-08, 02:19 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I miss those algernon's, my airrunner system doesn't feel nearly as strong as the algernon's did.

Originally Posted by golfkid777
I have been in more than one car on UAS bags and aftermarket performance struts and they do ride slightly smoother than my UAS on my Algernon coils, but they dont handle nearly as well or ride nearly as nice super low. With my setup currently my car feels the same at 45 psi all around or 90 psi all around, but the handling is WAY better at 90psi.

My friend did the UAS bags on his A8 with factory struts and they lasted 3 weeks before 3 of them blew out. I have also driven Vinces(pagongLS) old Q45 on UAS with factory struts and was not impressed with a single aspect of that suspension.
Old 01-02-08, 02:21 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I used to run comptech lowering springs with factory struts on my former acura RL, it was a very mild drop and the struts didn't last me a single month.

I dunno how it can last with a airbag system, unless driving in stock height all the time.

Quick Reply: uas bags on stock struts?