VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

uas bags on stock struts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 02:26 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

How many miles would a set of KYB's last on UAS bags? Of course it depends on your driving habits but is there a lot more stress on the struts when riding dumped?
Old 01-02-08, 02:48 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Balling
wow
chubby, the **** your saying, is making me laugh.
i dare you to run stock shocks at a slight drop on uas, and see how long they last, or how well they dampen.

Theres a reason i bought coilovers for hte UAS bags.
whoever said uas aerosport airsprings were for comfort? they're not even double-convoluted to make dampening easier. i work on minitrucks as a hobby and i already know the hype about mcpherson slip-over air springs. live upto the hype if you want, bellows will never be better on a passenger car compared to complete mcpherson sleeves. as mentioned earlier, all of the jobdesign cars apparently are using existing strut assemblies. ive been in a passenger car with stock shocks and bellow bags before and it feels like ****. but i'm not the one complaining. i ride with tein cst and i still get moderate ride quality. nothing spectacular, really. ride low, ride hard

Originally Posted by chrispy
How many miles would a set of KYB's last on UAS bags? Of course it depends on your driving habits but is there a lot more stress on the struts when riding dumped?
the more you make your shocks work, the more stress you put on it. when u ride dumped, you'd probably be riding on shocks and not the air spring. way too much stress. you should never deflate or inflate your bag fully while driving. it just creates way too much stress on everything including the bag. either way, slip-over air springs will cut down the lifespan of the shocks by a lot. u can get away with dampening adjustable shocks to "prolong" the shocks, making it more tolerable against the bags but you'd probably go through a set of shocks at most 4-5 years compared to the normal 5+. i'll show you what i mean when i see you sometime chris. i just need to clean up my trunk cause everything's starting to fall apart =x

Last edited by chubby; 01-02-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 03:19 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks chubs. I want to check out your setup before you sell it. 4-5 years isn't too bad considering a set of KYBs are like 300 or so. I wonder if the Bilstein Heavy Duty's would hold up much better.
Old 01-02-08, 04:09 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Bags over coils is the way to go. Thats all I got. Worth it in the long run.
Old 01-02-08, 04:18 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kybgr2 have lasted a year thus far .. with no problems ... constant up and down ... and outlasted one of AZ compressors ...

Thats one reason why the car is down now ...
Old 01-02-08, 04:51 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

AZ compressors have been known to do that. One of my guys said that they've upgraded the newer units...but the reputation may be too damaged in the scene now.

Im gonna try them when I redo my air setup this winter tho.

oh, 2GS on stock shocks and UAS...layin' on the ground
Old 01-02-08, 04:56 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y33 on Stock struts with UAS bags...working amazing and sittin pretty
Old 01-02-08, 05:16 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Any strut or shock will work with an air suspension system including OEM, the only problem is reliability. OEM struts are made and engineered to work with the OEM springs, it's valving is made to cushion the rebound stroke for that specific suspension. Anything replaced with the OEM spring will tremendously shorten the lifespan of an OEM strut. I really don't know if it's better or worse to run a shorter spring with a higher coil rate or an air bag, but both will affect the lifespan of an OEM or aftermarket strut.
Old 01-02-08, 08:14 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Originally Posted by Emerald
AZ compressors have been known to do that. One of my guys said that they've upgraded the newer units...but the reputation may be too damaged in the scene now.

Im gonna try them when I redo my air setup this winter tho.

oh, 2GS on stock shocks and UAS...layin' on the ground

Be careful I sent my compressor in ... either 5 days to get there + holidays Or 85 dollars over night ... I chose to wait ... Now I keep hearing its still not done still 2 weeks later ..... and the tech is calling in sick .... wasting alot of my time ... so be careful ... if they mess up again ... then maybe sell these to someone who doesn't mind waiting, and eventually getting Viair ..
Old 01-02-08, 09:25 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about firestone compressors ? like the on in my air-runner.

I never hear of firestone airrunner compressors going out.

Originally Posted by pxrlex
Be careful I sent my compressor in ... either 5 days to get there + holidays Or 85 dollars over night ... I chose to wait ... Now I keep hearing its still not done still 2 weeks later ..... and the tech is calling in sick .... wasting alot of my time ... so be careful ... if they mess up again ... then maybe sell these to someone who doesn't mind waiting, and eventually getting Viair ..
Old 01-03-08, 12:21 AM
909LS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whoa easy there guys, what i basically wanted to know was if i run a UAS setup on tokico struts (not specifically stock ones) or any kind of aftermarket lowering strut. would i be able to achieve good drop height? cause i really didn't want to buy coilovers if i don't need to. but in regards to the knowledge you have bestowed upon me about air suspension much appreciated!
Old 01-03-08, 02:34 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

yeah, you'll get the drop
Old 01-04-08, 12:02 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

BTW those are good too .... It was a new company AZ comp ... btw what ever you choose you will be good question is how long stock struts last .. and I don't know ...

KYB GR2 = my way = 1 year + and running strong
Old 01-04-08, 06:20 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

I figure that i'd be learning and a bit 'switch happy' for the first summer of ownership...The OEM's will die by the end of the lurning curve and then i'll upgrade to new Dampers
Old 01-06-08, 02:33 AM
909LS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anybody ever heard of streetridepro.com they used to be airridepro they make those dope shockwave style coilover and airbag setups for hot rods but either way they have a kit for the LS that has these custom bag strut things similar to the shockwave any input???

Quick Reply: uas bags on stock struts?