Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS460 Aftermarket Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 05:29 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GS460 Aftermarket Shocks

I need to replace my shocks and while I did search the forum, I didnt quite find the answer I was looking for. First, can anyone tell me if all GS460s came equipped with adjustable variable suspension? In looking for replacement (aftermarket) shocks, so far I havent been able to find anything that is a compatible with "avs" other than OEM. I looked under the wheel housing and the shocks that are currently on my car were manufactured by KYB. I've read on several threads that KYB is the OEM supplier to Lexus. I went to KYB's website and they do not have shocks for the 460. Ebay (see link below) has some KYB, but I've received confirmation from the seller that they are not compatible with "avs". I'm aware that coilovers are an option and are sometimes cheaper than OEM, but that's not the route I want to go. Can anyone recommend a brand that they've used?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-STRUTS...pVWi9f&vxp=mtr
Old 12-22-16, 09:45 PM
thepham22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS 460 shock

Originally Posted by snakeo2
I need to replace my shocks and while I did search the forum, I didnt quite find the answer I was looking for. First, can anyone tell me if all GS460s came equipped with adjustable variable suspension? In looking for replacement (aftermarket) shocks, so far I havent been able to find anything that is a compatible with "avs" other than OEM. I looked under the wheel housing and the shocks that are currently on my car were manufactured by KYB. I've read on several threads that KYB is the OEM supplier to Lexus. I went to KYB's website and they do not have shocks for the 460. Ebay (see link below) has some KYB, but I've received confirmation from the seller that they are not compatible with "avs". I'm aware that coilovers are an option and are sometimes cheaper than OEM, but that's not the route I want to go. Can anyone recommend a brand that they've used?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-STRUTS...pVWi9f&vxp=mtr
Hi ! The gs460 shock had to be oem only ! Because they make the shock with sports mode , it have the sensors on the top of the struts mouth!i have the set of gs460 new never use . Because I sale the car before I get the shock , if you want it I sale it 20% off the dealer price!
Old 12-23-16, 11:27 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You can use these shock you just wont have the adjustability as the oem. But yes KYB are the same as OEM
Old 12-24-16, 06:12 AM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Thanks @ibidu1. I think I probably just go with OEM from the dealer. Although I can probably live without "avs", I'm sure that by not replacing my failing shocks with "avs" compatible units, I will get a bunch of codes and possibly lose some other functionality(ies). It just sucks that there are no aftermarket alternatives.
Old 12-24-16, 01:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeo2
Thanks @ibidu1. I think I probably just go with OEM from the dealer. Although I can probably live without "avs", I'm sure that by not replacing my failing shocks with "avs" compatible units, I will get a bunch of codes and possibly lose some other functionality(ies). It just sucks that there are no aftermarket alternatives.
You can most likely leave the adjusters plugged in and it shouldnt throw you any codes. Keep looking on ebay for an OEM set you might get lucky.
Old 12-25-16, 03:12 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

if you remove the adjusters altogether you won't throw any codes either.

I have all 4 removed and all 4 plugs capped off (plastic bag with zip-tie.
Old 12-25-16, 04:44 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did any of you guys who opted out to use avs shocks regret it? I mean I never put it in sport mode so I doubt I will miss it but I would like a first hand experience.
Old 12-26-16, 12:54 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

MyLparts carries them and with the clublexus discount you can get them at a decent price, there's an option for shocks with AVS and without. Probably a decent amount cheaper than buying them at the dealership.
Old 12-26-16, 01:25 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

@Lukas

Would you happen to know the promo code for clublexus members to take advantage of any discounts?

Thanks
Old 12-26-16, 02:00 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Went from oem AVS to bc racing w/ swifts. All depends on the type of driving you do. For cruising, I wish i stayed with OEM. When driving "hard" , I'm happy I switched to bc. The AVS sport firmness is better than stock, but its a night and day difference. The only other time I wish i stayed with OEM is when the road is bumpy/sucks.
Old 12-26-16, 02:01 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fausty
Did any of you guys who opted out to use avs shocks regret it? I mean I never put it in sport mode so I doubt I will miss it but I would like a first hand experience.
I went aftermarket struts and did UAS bags. I don't miss it, It BARELY made a difference in my driving from my experience.
Old 12-26-16, 03:19 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to veer off topic op just really wanted feedback before I make a decision. I have heard a lot of feedback from people who went from avs to coil overs but I wonder how regular oem non avs shocks ride compared to avs shocks that are not on sport mode. I guess I'm being too complicated lol. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-26-16, 09:28 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Discount code is CL5, gives you I believe 10 or 15% off and usually the prices are slightly cheaper than dealer to begin with. If you put them in your cart on the site and hit checkout there's a spot to put in the code and it'll update the price so you can check the price without buying them
Old 01-02-17, 11:09 AM
iGS430
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my fronts with the KYB GAS ADJUST that fits on the GS350 at $120 each from Amazon as I'm currently saving for a air suspension system.
Works like a charm no issues at all. AVS is overrated especially since I'm not "Racing on a tight circuit track. Plus no codes will be thrown.
Old 01-02-17, 11:40 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Are yours leaking or making noise at all? I'm at 166k on original struts on my 460, and just brought it in because I wanted to replace them after seeing articles of people saying how much better their car drove after replacement but the shop said they're all good with no leaks. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it or if it would make any noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: GS460 Aftermarket Shocks