Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS460 Aftermarket Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 07:12 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an excerpt (written by me) from a reply sometime ago. Something to consider prior to a complete strut overhaul.

It’s difficult to compare new coilovers to how the vehicle rode and felt when the vehicle was brand new. Struts wear in a matter of years and over 100,000 miles. The change in ride from when the vehicle is new to 100,000 miles can seem subtle until you change them out. So, I read many threads and posts all over about how new installed coilovers the ride "feels" the same. Same as? Current ride with worn factory struts, ride? For example, I go to my local Lexus dealer and test drive used Lexus, say a low mileage 2013 (or above) GS 350, I drive it hard and take as many rough roads and turns as possible, then get back in to my GS. This gives me something to compare it to. I base these test drives on what I should expect from coilovers, if the manufacturer claims that their coilovers is as OEM. If I was to purchase a set of Coilovers tomorrow, I would only have my current ride characteristics to compare them too..

Food for thought
Old 01-03-17, 07:48 AM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iGS430
I replaced my fronts with the KYB GAS ADJUST that fits on the GS350 at $120 each from Amazon as I'm currently saving for a air suspension system.
Works like a charm no issues at all. AVS is overrated especially since I'm not "Racing on a tight circuit track. Plus no codes will be thrown.
Good to know! This is what I was looking for. It makes me think how do I even know the previous owner didn't just put regular shocks on here not avs shocks if he ever changed them lol. Maybe I'm doing all this research for nothing lol
Old 01-10-17, 06:02 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@Fausty
Ordered the KYB non "avs" from rockauto.com...should arrive this Friday. Will post back feedback once I have them installed this Saturday.
Old 01-10-17, 06:26 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeo2
@Fausty
Ordered the KYB non "avs" from rockauto.com...should arrive this Friday. Will post back feedback once I have them installed this Saturday.
please do! Thanks
Old 01-13-17, 09:50 AM
iGS430
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fausty
Good to know! This is what I was looking for. It makes me think how do I even know the previous owner didn't just put regular shocks on here not avs shocks if he ever changed them lol. Maybe I'm doing all this research for nothing lol
Best way to verify is to remove the AVS covers on each front suspension top mounts and you'll see for sure.
Also checking the rears you'll have to peal back the trunk covers on each side to and remove those AVS covers.
Old 01-21-17, 02:00 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Finally got around and replaced three struts that were busted (Front driver's side and two rear ones), as well as, the front passenger side wheel bearing today. In the end, I went with KYB non "AVS" shocks as they were simply more affordable. I'm ok with losing the "AVS" functionality for the time being...maybe in the future I will switch back. As others mentioned previously on this thread, if you plug back the avs sensors onto the new shocks, you wont get any error codes. As for the wheel bearing, I went with an aftermarket unit made by Timken. All parts were ordered from rockauto.com. The car now feels smooth and ride is back to OEM.
Old 01-21-17, 04:47 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Here are some picks of how much you have to peel the trunk inside covers to get to the avs sensors
Attached Thumbnails GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-rear-shock-1.jpg   GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-rear-shock-2.jpg  
Old 01-21-17, 04:53 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

New vs old wheel bearing and new shocks.
Attached Thumbnails GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-wheel-bearing-old-5.jpg   GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-wheel-bearing-old-2.jpg   GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-new-bearing-1.jpg   GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-new-bearing-2.jpg   GS460 Aftermarket Shocks-kyb-shocks.jpg  

Old 04-18-17, 06:28 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey so i want to get some of they KYB shocks for my 2006 GS430.
i need a set of rear shock absorbers and while i do have the AVS i want to just get the non AVS shocks since i never use the AVS function and dont want to spend the extra $400.

can anyone help me out with what the correct part number is and perhaps a good place to get them online?

thanks so much.
Old 01-03-18, 08:56 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iGS430
I replaced my fronts with the KYB GAS ADJUST that fits on the GS350 at $120 each from Amazon as I'm currently saving for a air suspension system.
Works like a charm no issues at all. AVS is overrated especially since I'm not "Racing on a tight circuit track. Plus no codes will be thrown.
What did you do about the AVS and a dash light?
Old 01-06-18, 02:32 AM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went ahead and installed the GS350 struts and unplugged and removed the motors that tighten up the struts. NO issues whatsover. No dashlights, etc.
The following users liked this post:
fb182 (01-06-18)
Old 09-25-21, 02:58 AM
Kytb0405
Driver School Candidate

I got aftermarket coilovers that work with the AVS. I got the ones that go to the 450H on my 460 but I installed the back ones already and they fit just fine and work way better than OEM.
Old 12-24-21, 03:42 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytb0405
I got aftermarket coilovers that work with the AVS. I got the ones that go to the 450H on my 460 but I installed the back ones already and they fit just fine and work way better than OEM.
Interested in which coilovers you got. My car feels fine at 133k miles, but someday they shocks will need to be changed, and I actually quite like the AVS system and would like to keep it.
Old 12-25-21, 12:52 AM
Kytb0405
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eicca
Interested in which coilovers you got. My car feels fine at 133k miles, but someday they shocks will need to be changed, and I actually quite like the AVS system and would like to keep it.
They are the Flex AVS by Tein. They were $1700 for the whole set; which still might be cheaper than OEM. My car had 160k with the original so it was part necessity and part because I wanted to lower it a little.
Old 12-25-21, 10:22 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytb0405
They are the Flex AVS by Tein. They were $1700 for the whole set; which still might be cheaper than OEM. My car had 160k with the original so it was part necessity and part because I wanted to lower it a little.
Thanks for the response! How’s the ride compared to stock? Both in normal and sport mode?

Quick Reply: GS460 Aftermarket Shocks