Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

RS-R Super Down Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 12:24 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RS-R Super Down Springs

Received my RS-R Super Down Springs today thanks to VipAutoSalon.

Have to wait until March 15th when I get my Vossen CV4 before installing it.
Attached Thumbnails RS-R Super Down Springs-rs-super-down-for-gs.jpg  
Old 02-28-13, 10:17 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH

I'd say install them now so bushings settle in so you can get aligned before the wheels and tires come in.
Old 02-28-13, 12:22 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
I'd say install them now so bushings settle in so you can get aligned before the wheels and tires come in.
Wouldn't it be better to wait for the wheels and tires to be mounted then align it with the new springs?
Old 02-28-13, 12:25 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest the same. Install now, let spring settle, afterwards do alignment. When the new wheels comes in, it'll already be aligned.
Old 02-28-13, 12:37 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Wouldn't it be better to wait for the wheels and tires to be mounted then align it with the new springs?
It actually isnt. I would recommend you install the springs now, put ~ 500-1000 miles on em, then get the car aligned.

If you can put the miles on the car before the wheels arrive, you can go in for a wheel mount / alignment appointment and knock out two birds with one stone. Otherwise you will have to have springs / wheels / tires installed, drive ~500-1000 miles and then go back for an alignment. (This may cause uneven tire wear on your new setup)

When installing the springs the installer needs to reset the bushings; however the springs may still need to "settle" in. This is why its recommended to put miles on a newly installed suspension prior to getting an alignment.

Last edited by JoshIS408; 02-28-13 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 02:27 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

So if I install the springs now without alignment won't that cause uneven wear on the stock tires? Only have 1500 miles on the car and am giving my 18" F-Sport rims and tire to my brother's 2013 ES300h. Don't want to give him a bad set of tires. Don't want to do double alignment either.

I will check with my Lexus service department to see what they recommend also and I will schedule the spring install for next next week.

Thanks guys for the suggests.
Old 02-28-13, 02:59 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

well, give him the 19" f sport wheels now and Ride on his 18"

You won't need to align it twice. Just align it after the spring "settles".
Old 02-28-13, 06:36 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would NO WAY IN HELL wear your tires unevenly if you are just going to drive around for 2-3 weeks. Take it from an old timer who has lowered every car he has ever owned and used the method to wait a few weeks, approximately 1000 miles to let the springs settle before I aligned. Never once did my tires show any abnormal wear, on any of the cars I have had from Mustang, Audis, Acuras, and Lexus's.
Old 02-28-13, 06:38 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show some pics of the shocks when they are installed as well. Also take before and after measurements as I am sure I am not the only one who is curious how much drop these will exactly give you. You should measure from the top of the HUB hole on your wheel to the lower fender lip. Use this method both ways and you will have 2 exact points to compare the measurements.
Old 02-28-13, 06:46 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to install now so I can see how it looks on stock f sport wheels lol
The following users liked this post:
Lexusgfm (09-11-20)
Old 02-28-13, 11:34 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So if I install the springs now without alignment won't that cause uneven wear on the stock tires? Only have 1500 miles on the car and am giving my 18" F-Sport rims and tire to my brother's 2013 ES300h. Don't want to give him a bad set of tires. Don't want to do double alignment either.

I will check with my Lexus service department to see what they recommend also and I will schedule the spring install for next next week.

Thanks guys for the suggests.
I used to have the Firestone lifetime alignment on my last car as well. I'll be doing the same for my GS so I'll align as soon as I install my springs and have it checked it again about every month or two for no charge.

Even if you don't align right away, 1K miles is nothing. Besides, wouldn't it be better to let the springs settle on your old stock tires now rather than what will for sure be more expensive tires later?
Old 03-01-13, 02:50 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hyrepower
Show some pics of the shocks when they are installed as well. Also take before and after measurements as I am sure I am not the only one who is curious how much drop these will exactly give you. You should measure from the top of the HUB hole on your wheel to the lower fender lip. Use this method both ways and you will have 2 exact points to compare the measurements.
Will take some pictures at various stages of upgrade.
Old 03-01-13, 09:39 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Would really love to see pictures. I ordered tanabe but can sell those depending on how these RSRs look. Thanks!
Old 03-01-13, 10:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Something worries me, that Lexus, won't release their springs, but yet these other companies already have. Seems to me that Lexus has found issues lowering this car that they don't want to be stuck warrantying. /.02
Old 03-01-13, 11:19 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Something worries me, that Lexus, won't release their springs, but yet these other companies already have. Seems to me that Lexus has found issues lowering this car that they don't want to be stuck warrantying. /.02
I just think it is not a priority.

Quick Reply: RS-R Super Down Springs