Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

RS-R Super Down Springs

Old 03-07-13, 02:25 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1st Issue after install: Headlight leveling not working properly

Just got off work 8PM and it was dark. Did not notice if the headlights moved up and down during startup. A few things I notice while driving home. The headlight leveling seems to be not working properly. My headlight seems to be pointing down a bit and not lighting out as far as before. Also, driving over small bumps or braking/accelerating on the road the headlight seems to be on fix setting and not automatically leveling. Does anyone know if there is something that needs to be done on the GS to calibrate the auto leveling? When I got home I stop and start the car and confirmed that the headlights are moving up and down during startups. Did not go for a drive afterward.

Maybe something is not connected properly to sense the car ride heights. In my old '01 GS430 I recall that there is a mechanical arm in the rear suspension that detects the car angle. Not sure about the '13 GS350.

Anyone have any idea?
Old 03-07-13, 09:19 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
Just got off work 8PM and it was dark. Did not notice if the headlights moved up and down during startup. A few things I notice while driving home. The headlight leveling seems to be not working properly. My headlight seems to be pointing down a bit and not lighting out as far as before. Also, driving over small bumps or braking/accelerating on the road the headlight seems to be on fix setting and not automatically leveling. Does anyone know if there is something that needs to be done on the GS to calibrate the auto leveling? When I got home I stop and start the car and confirmed that the headlights are moving up and down during startups. Did not go for a drive afterward.

Maybe something is not connected properly to sense the car ride heights. In my old '01 GS430 I recall that there is a mechanical arm in the rear suspension that detects the car angle. Not sure about the '13 GS350.

Anyone have any idea?
There should be a load level sensor at the rear drivers side if I recall correctly. My last car (Infinti) was rezeroed using Nissan CONSULT II connected to the vehicle's OBD port. I'd suggest calling your dealer service department and asking if it can be re-zeroed. If it can't be done via software, there should be a mechanical adjustment on the sensor itself.
Old 03-07-13, 01:18 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also worrying about the ride quality as well when I ordered these springs. The ride is very close to stock. When on normal setting I say it is almost ride like at Sports+ mode with stock springs but a little bit softer. So with the RSR springs and on normal shock setting the ride quality is between the normal and Sports+ setting on stock springs. You do feel more smaller bumps. On bigger bumps the rebound is quicker and more pronounce. Not uncomfortable but definite firmer. With the RSR spings and Sports+ mode the ride is still very comfortable but a lot firmer not jarring (very well control rebounds). Now with my 20" wheels I hope the ride is not going to be too much worse. I spent the extra money on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which has the best ride quality base on past experiences and reviews.
I can't wait to see how it looks and get your ride review when you get your new wheels and tires. Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by Hyrepower; 03-07-13 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 10:16 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

I was also worrying about the ride quality as well when I ordered these springs. The ride is very close to stock. When on normal setting I say it is almost ride like at Sports+ mode with stock springs but a little bit softer. So with the RSR springs and on normal shock setting the ride quality is between the normal and Sports+ setting on stock springs. You do feel more smaller bumps. On bigger bumps the rebound is quicker and more pronounce. Not uncomfortable but definite firmer. With the RSR spings and Sports+ mode the ride is still very comfortable but a lot firmer not jarring (very well control rebounds). Now with my 20" wheels I hope the ride is not going to be too much worse. I spent the extra money on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which has the best ride quality base on past experiences and reviews.
By the way, good choice on the Michelins, they are far and away the best tire made. Take it from someone who has literally tried them all, and I do mean ALL. The michelins ride the most quiet, and smoothest as they are easiest to balance with almost perfect tire geometry. They also grip like glue in wet and dry, when they break loose it is slow and very controlled. Simply the best tire money can buy, NO questions asked. I am referring the Michelin PS2s and Pilot Super Sports which are very similar.
Old 03-07-13, 10:23 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Made a appointment with the dealer service to have the autoleveling sensor adjusted tomorrow morning. They need to put it on a lift to adjust the sensor.

Wheels shipment is on target for next weekend but still waiting on the 3 remaining tires. Kind of disappointed that Tire Rack ship it by surface and in 4 individual shipment at 4 different times. Hopefully before the end of the month I will have the wheels and tires installed.
Old 03-08-13, 06:55 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Default Headlight auto leveling update

Lexus tech put it up on the lift and could not see any adjustable settings on the rear level sensor. He end up adjusting the headlight assembly adjustment instead. Will see when it gets dark if the coverage is better. He did use the TechStream diagnostic to check and there was no setting to rezero or calibrate the setting.
Old 03-08-13, 08:19 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

check this thread.
Old 03-08-13, 09:08 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
The problem is with the 4th Gen GS there is no slot to make any adjustment to the height control like those found on 3rd Gen GS and 2nd Gen IS.
Old 03-08-13, 09:27 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is with the 4th Gen GS there is no slot to make any adjustment to the height control like those found on 3rd Gen GS and 2nd Gen IS.
Wow ... that's interesting. Did adjusting the headlight assy itself work out though?
Old 03-08-13, 09:38 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
Wow ... that's interesting. Did adjusting the headlight assy itself work out though?
Don't know until it gets dark. The tech did raise it up a bit but I still think the auto leveling is making it point downward due to the suspension being lowered. Probably stuck at the lowest level to compensate the change of suspension geometry. Will report back in a few hours as it is mid afternoon here right now. When the tech was using the TechStream software I was able to see the value of the rear sensor as 202. The max level is 397 and lowest level is 92. It is possible that the value can be set here. The tech is going to research it a bit more and hopefully find a solution when I get the alignment done when I receive the wheels and tires in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by ChuH; 03-08-13 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 09:54 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We need figs!!!
Old 03-09-13, 12:27 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

This has now become a concern of mine
I have not lowered my car yet, but in the next month or so, I will.

Hope you can find a fix and share it with us all.

Wonder why no one else has come forth about this same issue??

Thank you!
Old 03-09-13, 02:00 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Okay just came back from a short night drive. The adjustment at the light assembly helped. It could stand to be higher a more to shine farther distance. Instead of the beam concentrating at 1.5 cars length before it is now about 2.5. I want it to be at least 3. I will probably have the tech raise it a bit more when i have the car aligned when I get my wheels.

For those that are thinking about lowering with the Super Down Springs I can suggest the following before install. Find a place with level surface at night and face a wall. Make note of the distance from the front of the car to the wall and document the light height on the wall. After you installed the spring you can get close to the original setup. There is no mechanical adjustment that can be made in the rear sensor so you need to adjust at the light assembly.

I have been trying to drive at different shock settings and it seems to me that when I drive in Sports+ mode the car feels more comfortable at large bumpy road at low speed. At normal setting the car seems to bounce too much almost wallowing left to right. Firming up the shock on Sports+ cause the rebounds to happen shorter. Need to test out my theory a bit more.
Old 03-10-13, 10:42 AM
golfpunks
Driver

after reading your review, i think it might be more wise to go with the coilvers since you say its too soft.. decisions decisions, dont know if i want to drop so much on it,,, i love the way it drives stock.. do you think its too soft?
Old 03-10-13, 02:18 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golfpunks
after reading your review, i think it might be more wise to go with the coilvers since you say its too soft.. decisions decisions, dont know if i want to drop so much on it,,, i love the way it drives stock.. do you think its too soft?
No I don't think it is too soft. On smooth road the ride quality is near stock. Driving over bumpy surface causes the car to rock left to right too much (not well controlled). The stock shock at normal setting is not controlling the rebound as good as when it is on Sports+. If I were to do it all again I think I would of gone with the Down Springs rather than Super Down Springs. I really like the aggressive stance of the Super Down Springs though even on stock wheels and tires. I think going with Down Springs will improve the ride quality (closer to stock ride quality). Remember I am running on 18" F-Sports (we can't get 19" staggers in our area) and when I get the 20" the ride quality is going to be firmer. I will update on the ride quality once I have the 20" installed (in a couple of weeks).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS-R Super Down Springs