Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

upgraded steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 08:02 AM
presto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile upgraded steering

When I bought my new 2003 GS 430, the only problem was extreme overboosted steering. Bell Lexus in Phoenix tightened the rack which helped a little. TRD sways helped cornering and 2 months later they installed TRD shocks, which helped the highway ride. The steering was still too loose so against the advise of Carson Toyota (Ibegged and they said yes) I got an L-Tuned steering ECU. Bell also had to be begged to install it. Both said the 03 already has it. After it was installed the mechanic road tested it and celebrated that my gamble paid off. The steering has made a monster improvement. Two weeks later they made the camber even more negative. This will increase tire wear, but this car sticks to the curving mountain roads of northern Arizona with a beautiful road feel. I have the nimble performance of the Bavarians, better engine, valid Lexus warranty and comfort. It performs so well I don't think I will lower it.
I thought the L-tuned steering ECU was OEM on the '03 GS 430. In my case the difference was night and day. Go figure.
Old 09-02-03, 06:58 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

You have a magic dealer. The two I have visited here in Chicago will do nothing for my overboosted steering. They claim that there is no adjustment that can be made to the rack. Some have said that Lexus actually increased the boost on the 2003s (mine is one too).

The ECU did NOTHING for me and it was confirmed by a Toyota suspension engineer that they are the same. However, if yours made a difference who cares!

However your comment about a better engine than the Barvarians makes me wonder which car you are referring to. Personally I think the pokey throttle response of the 430, doggy torque converter, and muted exhaust will forever hide any traces of the fact that my 430 engine could be better than the 540.
Doug

PS - My steering actually gets more and more boosted over time - opening the steering fluid cap and then putting it back on actually helps.
Old 09-03-03, 06:26 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

According to Lexus, the L-Tuned steering ECU and the stock GS ECU are the same beginning with the GS430, e.g., 2001 model year. However, several members have replaced their ECU with notable results. One (RealMarty) also had bitkahuna present for the changeover on his 01. BOTH drove the car before and after and BOTH concluded that there was a definite beneficial change. I greatly respect both members "buttometers" but Doug's experience doesn't seem to be unique, either.

So, a mystery remains....................................
Old 09-03-03, 07:26 AM
presto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments.
Doug _999 needs to find a responsive service dept. There are several in Chicago, otherwise, come to Phoenix!! The combination of TRD sways, TRD shocks, tightened rack and new ECU will change the car from an LS 430 type ride to something more like a real sports sedan - but with luxury. Adjusting the camber to more negative settings will give faster tire wear but will also improve handling. I have the stock Bridgestone Potenza REO 30 tires.
As far as the engine is concerned...I drive in the mountains of Northern Arizona, not the bumper to bumper traffic of the Chicago area. These are the roads that are used in the car commercials and the ones that the car magazines use for serious road testing. When this car is accelerating at warp speed with low rpms going up the mountains, you realize that this is one world class engine.

Has anyone ever seen any printed comparisons on modded GS430s with other premium sports sedans??
Old 09-04-03, 09:32 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

According to McGrath Lexus in Westmont, Arlington Lexus in Palatine, and Woodfield Lexus in Woodfield, there is NO adjustment to the steering rack that can be made. I know this isn't true of course but each and every dealer swears by this.

There are more dealers to try and I will - especially as it will be getting colder here in IL and my engine ticking will be back with a vengance.

BUT, I will be in Phoenix in two weeks at the Westin - so presto, can I get you to swing by there so I can try out this steering? Please?
Old 09-11-03, 08:34 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Settle this once and for all. Please take a picture of the steering rack, front and back, and post it here. We will see...