Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-Tuned Shock leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 11:08 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question L-Tuned Shock leaking oil

Just pickup my GS430 from service. The technician informed me that the front left L-Tuned shock is leaking oil. Check with Steve Ganz (Carson Toyota) and he said L-Tuned will probably not honor warranty outside of US. Sent a email to L-Tuned but haven't receive a reply. All well... A new L-Tuned shock would cost $59 (excluding shipping).

My question is should I replace both front shock or just the one that is leaking? Being that L-Tuned is being discontinued soon is it wise to get two? The L-Tuned shock has about 20,000 miles on it before the leak was discovered. The car drives fine. Would not know there was a leak until the technician trying to find the popping sound in the front end notice it.

They had a difficulties finding a popping sound whenever I brake and turn at the same time. They are going to replace both front calipers. Perfect timing as now I need to seriously think about painting the new calipers. Probably also change the stainless steel brake lines. Should I get it from Carson Toyota (have not gotten the cost yet) or from ProLex ($157.50)? Is there a difference between GS300/400 and GS430? ProLex has different pricing for them.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 09-08-03 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 06:12 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Chu I would suggest that you get a new pair for 2 reasond. 1) if you replace just the worn unit the car may not be level after the installation (new strut on one side old on the other)

2) If 1 has started leaking you do not know if/when the other will start.

Better safe than sorry
Old 09-11-03, 06:50 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ChuH -

So was the popping sound in the front from the leaking L-tuned shock? Or is that a separate issue?

btw...whats the normal warranty on L-Tuned shocks?

Pete
Old 09-11-03, 07:05 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Hi Pete:

The Lexus technician still could not locate the popping sound when I brake and turn at the same time. Sound started when I had them install the Dazen Poly Bushings and they also replace the both front rotors and pads (under warranty because of warpage). The technician is replacing now replacing both front calipers as he had encounter a similiar problem with a LS430 in the past.

Received a email back from L-Tuned and they inform me that if L-Tuned parts are installed by the Lexus dealer then whatever the remaining warranty period of the Lexus will also apply to the L-Tuned parts. Of course if you install a L-Tuned part and you Lexus warranty expires in 2 months then your warranty is only 2 months. Right now the local dealership is still figuring out whether or not to cover the warranty for the part and install. No definite answer from them. Didn't purchase the L-Tuned parts from them but did had them install. They are waiting for the Lexus service and part manager to return from their vacation next week.

Chu...
Old 09-11-03, 09:30 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were to sent back the shocks to the US, can you then claim for the warranty?
I assumed that you bought them in the US, so I assume that they will cover the warranty in the US.
Also, how old are your shocks?

Alex
Old 09-12-03, 01:11 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally posted by HKGS300
If you were to sent back the shocks to the US, can you then claim for the warranty?
I assumed that you bought them in the US, so I assume that they will cover the warranty in the US.
Also, how old are your shocks?

Alex
L-Tuned said I had to go to the local Lexus dealership. L-Tuned items were purchased from Carson Toyota (Steve Ganz). I am waiting final word from local dealer before making final decision on what to do. If local dealership does not want to cover the part I will try to convince them to do the labor for free. $59 for the shock is no big deal but reinstalling the shock would again require realignment.

The L-Tuned shocks are 26 months old.

Chu...