Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front strut replacement - only one or two?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 10:51 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Front strut replacement - only one or two?

This is kind of a continuation from my wheel alignment...

Car was further inspected and now they are recommending to replace one strut. Whether or not it is covered under warranty is TBD. From a quick search, it's usually recommended to replace in pairs...

Or can I get away with just one new strut? What are the cons if replacing just one??

Thank you
Old 07-08-19, 11:01 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If it's warranty then they will only do one.
If it's on your own dime, I recommend both on the same axle.
A little bit more details as to why the strut needs replacement would help.
For instance, if the car was fairly new, and had an impact on one corner and needed a strut, then I would replace the one.
If the car was older and had noticeable mileage on it, and one strut starting leaking, for whatever reason, then I would do both.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 11:12 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Vehicle only has 45k miles on it.

Contrary to what I said on an earlier post, the vehicle did not track straight after the original alignment. At first I thought it did, but after driving on multiple road surfaces, it still tracks right. Confirmed by techs.

I consider the vehicle still fairly new, (2015), and the dealership cannot determine if it was truly due to an impact or not. But for conversation's sake, let's say it was due to an impact? I'm just hoping for even wear, and a relatively normal driving experience. I suspect I'll prolly have to pay for a second alignment if the work gets done tho. Smh

As far as warranty goes, CPO warranty ftw.... hopefully.
Old 07-08-19, 01:42 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

For that year and mileage I would do both struts...but that's me.
I'm not sure if the alignment specs was posted in the other thread, but usual culprits to look at are front camber and caster.
Unless you have a tire pull...but rotating the tires side to side temporarily will tell you if you do.
Old 07-10-19, 09:48 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Follow-up:

Tech did further investigation, and lol, all they did was replace the LCA bushing on the front passenger side under warranty. Struts are actually fine. Was informed that this part, including labor, would have cost roughly $300 at the dealership. Yikers.... we all know the price is steep...

Anyway... Alignment was re-done, steering wheel is now centered, car tracks straight after thorough test drives, and the car feels better than I can remember.
Old 07-10-19, 05:03 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Follow-up:

Tech did further investigation, and lol, all they did was replace the LCA bushing on the front passenger side under warranty. Struts are actually fine. Was informed that this part, including labor, would have cost roughly $300 at the dealership. Yikers.... we all know the price is steep...

Anyway... Alignment was re-done, steering wheel is now centered, car tracks straight after thorough test drives, and the car feels better than I can remember.
Should've upgraded the LCA bushings lol. Good to hear it got figured out though.