Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Don't get your alignment until you read this! Hunter Specs are off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 10:19 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Don't get your alignment until you read this! Hunter Specs are off.

Below are the alignment specs I requested for my AWD IS300 (RWD is different). Requested toe specs are exactly as recommended by the Lexus dealer manual. Front camber is adjustable on AWD, so I reduced to -1.2 to keep some stance, but could have gone as low as the recommended -0.48 (front).

Below are my pre and post alignment specs.

** IMPORTANT: Strangely the Hunter Alignment machine toe recommendation is inaccurate **
- Factory says set AWD Front to 0.05 +/0.18, which is -0.13 to 0.23, but Hunter suggests -0.07 to 0.12 (middle: 0.02)
- Factory says set Rear to 0.18 +/- 0.18, which is 0 to 0.36, but the Hunter Rack says 0 to .18 (middle: 0.09)
- Toe wear found on our cars is from too much toe out, so the Hunter recommendation may be robbing you of additional toe-in which would assist in reducing tire wear.

- Also, lowering seemed to have increased caster, bringing it out of preferred factory spec. (not shown here). Factory was 4.93, and after lowering was 5.4 to 5.7. I was able to get the caster back in spec with use of Negative Caster Offset LCA Bushings. I upgraded to GSF Bushings which are stiffer for reduced dynamic toe changes and also improved the handling characteristics considerably.

Here is my pre and post alignment specs.

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 10-29-18 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KYLexusMkr (04-14-19)
Old 10-29-18, 10:37 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Old 12-22-18, 12:27 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Any input?
about two weeks ago I installed the RCF LCA bushing to help with the dynamic toe out issue and it does feel better, but I am still concerned about the rear tire wear issue i know I could have gone 1.5-1.8 toe in on the rear but I'm trying to be conservative, hence the reason i also zero out the front toe.

Hoping to prolong the tire life more then performance. Only thing I'm consider from these specs is maybe go .05 toe in for the front and .15 toe for the rear, worst case scenario is to get a rear camber kit and bring the came in one degree.

Thanks
Old 12-24-18, 10:40 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TonyN

Any input?
about two weeks ago I installed the RCF LCA bushing to help with the dynamic toe out issue and it does feel better, but I am still concerned about the rear tire wear issue i know I could have gone 1.5-1.8 toe in on the rear but I'm trying to be conservative, hence the reason i also zero out the front toe.

Hoping to prolong the tire life more then performance. Only thing I'm consider from these specs is maybe go .05 toe in for the front and .15 toe for the rear, worst case scenario is to get a rear camber kit and bring the came in one degree.

Thanks
Factory toe settings for RWD:
- Front: 0°
- Rear: 0.18° (toe-in)

My research found that inside wear is common with too much toe out .. which means you have less toe-in than is recommended. You'll see that your toe alignment in the rear was probably based off of the alignment rack gauge which will not put you at the ideal factory recommended toe-in of 0.18.

I would recommend not adding positive camber, keep the factory geometry.

I would also make sure your tires are at the recommended PSI to keep a flatter patch on the ground.

Keep in mind that a staggered tire set-up is only guaranteed at 50% of the advertised mileage. For Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thats 45,000 / 2 = 22,500 miles.

Resources:
1) https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ing-tire-wear/
" Inner-edge tire tread wear is the most common tread wear problem most technicians see. The angles causing this type of wear are typically negative toe and camber. "

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_(automotive)
" Negative toe, or toe out, is the front of the wheel pointing away from the centerline of the vehicle. Positive toe, or toe in, is the front of the wheel pointing towards the centerline of the vehicle."

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 12-24-18 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 07:14 AM
kot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS

** IMPORTANT: Strangely the Hunter Alignment machine toe recommendation is inaccurate **
- Factory says set AWD Front to 0.05 +/0.18, which is -0.13 to 0.23, but Hunter suggests -0.07 to 0.12 (middle: 0.02)
- Factory says set Rear to 0.18 +/- 0.18, which is 0 to 0.36, but the Hunter Rack says 0 to .18 (middle: 0.09)
- Toe wear found on our cars is from too much toe out, so the Hunter recommendation may be robbing you of additional toe-in which would assist in reducing tire wear.

I believe the Hunter alignment is accurate. Those are the specs for total toe, not toe per wheel.
Old 01-25-19, 10:36 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kot
I believe the Hunter alignment is accurate. Those are the specs for total toe, not toe per wheel.
No the factory numbers shown are accurate per wheel. Hunter rack is not right, and/or they have modified what they recommend over the factory.
Old 04-07-19, 05:28 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Below are the alignment specs I requested for my AWD IS300 (RWD is different). Requested toe specs are exactly as recommended by the Lexus dealer manual. Front camber is adjustable on AWD, so I reduced to -1.2 to keep some stance, but could have gone as low as the recommended -0.48 (front).

Below are my pre and post alignment specs.

- Also, lowering seemed to have increased caster, bringing it out of preferred factory spec. (not shown here). Factory was 4.93, and after lowering was 5.4 to 5.7. I was able to get the caster back in spec with use of Negative Caster Offset LCA Bushings. I upgraded to GSF Bushings which are stiffer for reduced dynamic toe changes and also improved the handling characteristics considerably.

Here is my pre and post alignment specs.

Thanks for sharing this. I have the 2017 IS300 AWD but I'm using the OEM wheels. I did replaced my front bushings with GSF/RCF and thinking of buying the SPC rear camber link, but if this will resolve the uneven wears, then I will go for this settings when I go for alignment.
Old 06-17-19, 03:15 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Okay so I have my springs on now and will be going in for alignment. Do I just let them "do their thing", presuming they go to factory spec, or should I advise them as to what to set? As per sig:

2014 IS350 AWD F Sport
Front Downs
Rear Halfs
RCF LCA bushings
Stock rims/tires (near-new)
66,000kms

Thanks.
Old 06-25-19, 09:03 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Needs some help from you guys. I have a 15 IS350 AWD recently installed coil overs ( 1 finger gap all around) and wanted your opinion on the specs. Town fair tire did the alignment and I wasn't all that impressed. Here are the specs below. they had told me this is the "best they could do".

Currently, I dont rub on dips or when turning full lock. However, the rear passenger does touch the fender lining when i come to a stop or am backing up- nothing concerning or markings on tire.

I was wondering if I adjusted the specs to closer to factory specs (front and rear toe to .06-.10, caster, front camber to 1.2) if i will start rubbing?

Old 07-03-19, 07:42 AM
BRiCCFLAiR
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I'll use this thread to ask a related question:

I'm preparing purchases for my alignment for winter tires, and come next spring I'd like to lower the car. I feel like purchasing adjustable control arms may not be necessary ('15 IS250 F Sport AWD), but I believe it would be helpful to dial in camber at both stock height and lowered to reduce tire wear. Can someone point me in the right direction, or advise against it if stock arms are adjustable enough in AWD models?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-19, 11:01 AM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

No the factory numbers shown are accurate per wheel. Hunter rack is not right, and/or they have modified what they recommend over the factory.
Just got my IS200t aligned.
Is it better to aim for total toe of .33 or TonyN's 0.17 to minimize inner toe wear?
I also plan on reducing the camber by adding 1 degree through some camber arms at stock height.

Old 08-04-19, 01:03 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by nan88
Just got my IS200t aligned.
Is it better to aim for total toe of .33 or TonyN's 0.17 to minimize inner toe wear?
I also plan on reducing the camber by adding 1 degree through some camber arms at stock height.

That camber is perfectly fine though. Why would you want to go even less?
Old 08-04-19, 03:02 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
That camber is perfectly fine though. Why would you want to go even less?
Spoke to another CL member, he reduced his rear camber to -0.8 and is seeing even wear.
Our toe settings are almost identical.
My alignment shop also recommended to reduce camber if I was looking for even wear in the rear.

After ~25K miles (34K on IS200t), the GSF/RCF lca bushings did massively reduce the front inner wear but did not prevent it.
Probably upgrading to the FIGS lca bushings soon.

Old Bridgestone tires (rear):