Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 04:36 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Supra TT Brake Conversion

Ok, i just need to make sure I have everything i need to perform this swap. I figure a few of you who have done this swap can provide a bit more insight for me .

I have a 1994 GS300 with a stock brake setup now. My objective is to switch my front brakes with Supra TT Calipers, and put on some cross drilled/slotted rotors from irotor on. Then, leave my rear calipers alone, but change the rears to cross drilled/slotted to match the front. I know i need to buy Supra rotors for the front, and GS rotors for the rear. Also, i was planning on putting Supra EBC Green Stuff pads in the front, but EBC does not make pads for the stock GS rear setup. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pad for the rear? Also, I was planning on upgrading to stainless steel brake lines, I know that there's a set of 4 for the Supra, but will it fit on my rear GS lines, or will I need to buy another set for the GS rear brakes? I also heard that a little modification to the front dust shield was needed to fit the Supra calipers in, will there be any other problems along the way besides that?

Last question regarding wheel size. I'm running 20"x8.5" wheel in the front with a +38 offset, just to make sure, this will clear my Supra brakes, right?
Old 07-22-03, 05:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

EBC makes a pad for the stock 2nd gen GS in the rear. I suspect you'll need a different set of SS lines for your car due to the different lengths of the runs and connectors. I needed a different set for my 2nd gen.

Do any other 1st gen GS guys have the Supra TT brakes on their cars? I don't seem to recall any - is it a direct swap?
Old 07-23-03, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i think the most important queston is whether the caliper will fit the 1st gen gs at all? if it does then it should be relatively easy. for the rear pads, talk to supratrd (steve) about it, i am sure he knows something. for the brake lines, the ones for the 2nd gs and the one for supra is different. supra has a longer lines i believe, and supra shares the same brake line setup with the 1st gen sc. for the dust shield, you will have to cut it off coz' the new rotors are bigger.

it's not about the offset of wheels you have... it's the type of design. supra calipers are huge, if you don't have high disc setup on your front wheels, chances are they don't fit
Old 07-23-03, 10:31 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

hmm...well, according to this thread here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=supra+brakes , the conversion on a 1st gen has been done before. i just needed to make sure that i needed to get the supra rotors / brake lines for the front, and gs rotors / brake lines for the rear . any opinions on how important getting SS brake lines for the rear is, or if it will make a noticable difference? does anyone know what the "supra" offset is anyways ?
Old 07-23-03, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well of course you want to have ss line in the back. you want the ss line so that nothing expands and you get full pressure, if you have normal rubber lines in the back you will end up expanding the rear lines, defect the purpose. also, i still think you should use the full ss lines for the gs for both front and back. i still believe the supra tt lines for the front is a bit too long. just my thoughts

as for the offset, again, it depends on the wheels disk type, not the calipers or the offset of the wheels. for example i have 19x8.5 +39 in the front, but it's the wheels being high disk application, where the spokes of the wheels actually go OUTward that allow the calipers to clear
Old 07-23-03, 11:54 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

so if i buy just the GS brakelines, they'll fit the Supra calipers in the front too?
Old 07-23-03, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
so if i buy just the GS brakelines, they'll fit the Supra calipers in the front too?
oh yeah, i believe the bolt type is pretty much standard.
Old 07-24-03, 12:05 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

sweet...that'll save me some $$ and i won't feel stupid for buying two sets of brakelines. thanks
Old 07-24-03, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
sweet...that'll save me some $$ and i won't feel stupid for buying two sets of brakelines. thanks
no problem. the reason why i am pretty confidence is that when i got my ap racing, it's actually for the supra. and it came with the supra tt ss line. but then i bought the ss line for the 2nd gen gs, and it fit right in no problem. also the line is quite a bit shorter than the line for the supra too. of course, the only variable here would be you have 1st gen and i have a 2nd gen