Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 01:34 PM
cerobol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake replacement

Hi, I have an IS 250 aut 2008. I love the car but it has a problem with brakes. They are just not up to the job. I was thinking of replacing them with the ones for the 350 because the 350 has 4 piston caliper against the 2 pistons for the 250. The question is, is the replacement a bolt of bolt on proces or will I need an adapter bracket?
Thanks,
Iztok
Old 09-16-17, 03:24 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

You'll need to modify the dust shields a bit but that should be it but you can read more here. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-on-is250.html

In terms of braking performance, there shouldn't be any difference in stopping distances between 4 pot and 2 pot calipers over 1 stop. Larger brakes have higher heat capacity given the larger rotor and greater pad contact with the rotor to transfer the kinetic into heat energy and have more even pad wear but are larger and therefore heavier and you're increasing your unsprung weight. You'd get a firmer pedal feel though.

What pads are you running? What's your driving style? I run Hawk HPS pads personally, not the greatest intial bite but get the job done especially with a little bit of heat added. Numerous members here will suggest Akebono Ceramics. Also popular are stoptech street pads, EBC... yellow stuff?
Old 09-17-17, 09:24 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

The IS350 calipers bolt on directly onto he IS250. All you have to do is bend back the rear dust shields with pliers first and then with a hammer to get rotor clearance. Then you do the same for the front but you have to cut a small piece of the dust shields at the bottoms first. The quality and condition of your tires are the main factors in braking.
Old 09-17-17, 10:06 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the site, lot's of GREAT information here. May I suggest you familiarize yourself with the search function. You may want to visit this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-on-is250.html

Lou
The following users liked this post:
cerobol (09-17-17)
Old 09-18-17, 09:49 AM
cerobol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XSV
The IS350 calipers bolt on directly onto he IS250. All you have to do is bend back the rear dust shields with pliers first and then with a hammer to get rotor clearance. Then you do the same for the front but you have to cut a small piece of the dust shields at the bottoms first. The quality and condition of your tires are the main factors in braking.
I have brand new Falkens Azenis FK 510, great tires, so I´m sure the tires a re not the problem. I think my problem is overheating.
Old 09-18-17, 10:11 AM
cerobol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
You'll need to modify the dust shields a bit but that should be it but you can read more here. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-on-is250.html

In terms of braking performance, there shouldn't be any difference in stopping distances between 4 pot and 2 pot calipers over 1 stop. Larger brakes have higher heat capacity given the larger rotor and greater pad contact with the rotor to transfer the kinetic into heat energy and have more even pad wear but are larger and therefore heavier and you're increasing your unsprung weight. You'd get a firmer pedal feel though.

What pads are you running? What's your driving style? I run Hawk HPS pads personally, not the greatest intial bite but get the job done especially with a little bit of heat added. Numerous members here will suggest Akebono Ceramics. Also popular are stoptech street pads, EBC... yellow stuff?
I just bought the car a few moths ago so everything is still stock. Planing to slowly upgrade the brakes, wheels and maybe the suspension.
I usually drive quite fast especially on the twisty roads so I need brakes with a bit more power and brakes that don´t overheat so quickly. I think I don´t need racing performance brakes but just something with a little more bite. That is why I thought of IS 350 calipers and thicker rotors.
Other than the IS 350 4 pistor caliper what calipers and rotors do you suggest? I would like to keep the stock rotor diameter so they can fit 17˝wheels but thicker if its possible and I would also like to keep it on the budget. Not cheap but also not too expensive. I know that quality doesn´t come cheap!!
Thanks..