Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Sways feedback here......

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 11:12 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen Sways feedback here......

After a few month of wait, I have finally got the Daizen Sways (with Polyurethane bushing) installed.
My current car setup = 20" wheels with L-tuned shocks and springs

Here is my observation:

Finish Color = Red
Finish quality = Texture is clean and smooth
Fitment = Excellent
Ride comfort = no change since my 20" wheels are the limiting factor
Body roll = drastically reduced especially I was only riding on the L-tuned setup
Handeling
- more responsive in directional control
- reduced front end dipping effect when making rapid lane change
- more stability in high speed

I picked Daizen over TRD due to my wheel setup. The ride comfortness was drastically reduced after the 20" wheel installation. I wasn't willing to sacrifice anymore in the little ride comfortness that I had left. I am very pleased with the Daizen sways at this point since it didn't degrade the ride quality.

The only word of advice that I can think of at this point in regards to using Daizen Sways is that the polyurethane bushings need to be greased very well in order to prevent squeeking noise in the near future. Trust me on this one......
Old 06-15-03, 12:49 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Great writeup! This seems like an excellent product. It's good to finally have an alternative.
Old 06-15-03, 03:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup dude !!
Thanks
Old 06-16-03, 01:07 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to hear someone elso echo what I have been saying for a while now...

Brent
Old 06-19-03, 10:09 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Default How much is the Daizen sway bar?

Could you tell me how much and where did you purchase the Daizen sway bar?
Old 06-19-03, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i believe it's 499, same as the trd, but don't quote me on that

ask todd at www.tmengineering.net about it, his username here is doublewhoosh. he carries them (also a preferred vendor here)
Old 06-19-03, 04:32 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Daizen and TRD sways. I currently have the TRD but everyone seems to be going with the Daizen?
Old 06-19-03, 08:02 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Daizen and TRD sways. I currently have the TRD but everyone seems to be going with the Daizen?
This thread should sum it all up quite nicely.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87039
Old 06-20-03, 05:56 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

LS400,

The link you posted doesn't compare TRD to Daizen.

LXOGOOD,

There are three different sets of sway bars you could choose from:
Daizen
TRD Sportivo (White)
TRD Race (Blue).

The Daizen compares more to TRD Sportivo than TRD Race. Both Daizen and TRD Sportivo are less stiff and Daizen also relies on the polyurethane bushings to achieve their goals. People that complain about the harsh ride will prefer these two over TRD Race.
TRD Race is the stiffest of all, where there are some members that complained about the degradation of the ride comfort. I would imagine that if you are one of the people who are going for it all, when it comes to the suspension, you most likely wont mind the stiffer sways.
As much as everybody is trying to compare all three, I don't think you can put the TRD Race sway bars in the same category than the rest two. It is like comparing the coilovers to L-tuned combo. They achieve two different goals for two different groups of people.

Myself, I have the L-tuned combo with the steering ECU and TRD Race sway bars. I did it this way because my wife drives this car as much as I do, and I didn't want to upset her with the ride quality. And yes, she believes the car is perfect the way it is right now. She likes the comfort while occasionally I like to take corners faster than normally. The car feels very stable while going 100+ mph as well.

Also, you can use the Search functionality to get more comparison info. I believe there is at least one member who already compared both.

Last edited by ChrisK; 06-25-03 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-20-03, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hard to say. the daizen bars themselves might not be as stiff as trd race, but with the harder bushing the performance results could be just as good
Old 06-24-03, 10:33 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ChrisK
LS400,

The Daizen compares more to TRD Sportivo than TRD Race. Both Daizen and TRD Sportivo are less stiff and Daizen also relies on the polyurethane bushings to achieve their goals. People that complain about the harsh ride will prefer these two other TRD Race.

Not to be disrespectful, but how can you say that the Daizen compares more to the TRD Sportivo unless you have tried BOTH of them on your GS400? I know most of the testimonies here are real-world comparisons between the TRD race sways and Daizen Sways (mine included) and since most owners here GET the TRD race sways, then this comparison does hold some weight for people considering either.

On another note, I am not sure if you are casting a negative shadow on the fact that Daizen relies on Poly bushings to achieve their handling. I would actually think that it is most definitely a positive thing ESPECIALLY for TRD sways just because the TRD race sways are SO stiff that the flex will be translated directly to the weakest point of flex of the sway bar assembly - in this case being the stock rubber bushings. I would imagine that the stock bushings would be shredded after a short while or at least lose it's functionality. The ultimate point is that Daizen had put in a lot of thought into R&D of the sway bar component - taking into consideration not only the sway bar itself but any pieces that would be greatly affected by it, namely the sway bar bushings. That's how any modifications should be considered. Remember, a lot of R&D went into the original design of the GS from Toyota so it's not just a matter of replacing components *****-nilly, but with some methodology. The only drawback of poly bushings is the potential squeeking which can be resolved with some waterproof silicone grease. Poly bushings matched with correctly tuned sways not only IMPROVE handling it also MINIMIZES any other sacrifices (eg, ride harshness). That, too me, is the mark of great tuning and Daizen seems to achieve most of that.

I don't know you nor your intentions so I am sorry if I offended you but I did not intend to and I apologize ahead of time. I just wanted to shed some light on your comments to provide a different angle. I just think people should be careful offering opinions if they do not have real-world experience and testing to back up the opinions. It can be potentially misleading and dangerous. If you have tested all three sways then I apologize beforehand...

Brent
Old 06-24-03, 11:09 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Can't speak to the Daizen or the Sportivo as I have what I guess is being called the TRD Race sways. Once again, a suspension works as an entire unit with many components contributing to both handling and ride. I didn't notice any degradation in ride harshness, stock 16's and bilstein sports, but the flatness in the corners is a marvel with this setup, exceeds any sedan I have owned, yeah even the bimmers. The sway is basically meant to make both sides of the car respond the same in turns. The stiffer the bar, the more it translates without twisting, or deflecting instead of transmitting the forces. The bushings are part of the setup in that they provide some give which can be necessary if the geometry of the suspension doesn't provide solely twisting motions for the bar (haven't seen any suspensions yet this side of a race car that don't need some compliance). The solid bushings reduce the deflection produced with rubber bushings. In the good old days, we machined our bushings from things like Delrin and went to Teflon filled composites for autocrossing and racing. If the solid bushings are so neat from a handling point, why don't more OEMs use them? Besides the squeaking issue already mentioned, longevity and durability are the next biggest issues. The rubber bushings are molded with a release agent that is very slippery, feels like a wax on a new bushing like the ones that come with the TRD sways, and the natural spring force of the rubber bushing will force it to keep in contact with the bar for a fairly long time before it wears out (for a variety of reasons). As the bar rotates in a harder polymer bushing, the setup counts on whatever lubricant you can get in there when installing as well as natural lubricity in the polymer (polyurethane in this case). so then you go to impregnated bronze and stuff like that, but that is another story and just not meant for street use. But the plastic bushings do wear, and at a much higher rate than the rubber bushings. They also don't have that "spring" that will force them to self compensate for wear. Plastics also can "cold flow" which has little to do with problems at low temperatures it is just a gradual flow that takes place due to force rather than heat being involved, although heat can acelerate it (like Phoenix in August). If you don't keep a car very long or have temperature extremes to deal with, it might not be an issue. But there are reasons why the OEMs use rubber bushings and don't have problems related to them for many, many miles. For someone tuning the response of a car on a race track, this would just be another area to look at to modify to get a certain response, and another tenth off on lap times. We even used to drive nails into the rubber bushings in the good old days to keep some of the properties of the rubber bushing but "stiffen" it up, and no, I don't recommend it to anyone, really not worth any minor handling improvement and when you inevitably over do it, the bushing splits in half. I think the net result is that if you have the Daizen sways, TRD Sportivos, or the TRD Race bars and are happy, fine. Just nice to have the choice with a Lexus, as we all know, we don't exactly peg the availability meter with aftermarket parts for our cars.
Old 06-27-03, 11:08 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430
Just nice to have the choice with a Lexus, as we all know, we don't exactly peg the availability meter with aftermarket parts for our cars.
Oh so true, Ron, oh so true...