Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tuned installation cost

Old 06-25-03, 12:16 PM
MRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tuned installation cost

The local shop is currently installing the L-Tuned shocks & springs on my GS430. Two things they said made me want to ask:

First, is it really necessary to remove the rear seat to install the rear shocks? They say it is.

Second, is 4-6 hours total labor reasonable? That's what they are estimating for both front & rear.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-03, 12:21 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: L-tuned installation cost

Originally posted by MRC
First, is it really necessary to remove the rear seat to install the rear shocks? They say it is.
Not sure but if they are just trying to get to access the strut bolts, you can go through the liner in the trunk.
Old 06-25-03, 02:29 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot reach the strut bolts from the rear seat side...the trunk liner is the actual access area. Sounds like they haven't worked on one of these before...beware!

Standard book rate is 5.6 hours of labor...we charge $170 flat fee for that job, either springs, shocks or springs and shocks.

We can do it in around 1.5-2 man hours (around 45 minutes), but that could be from being used to that particular car and doing it over and over and over...
Old 06-25-03, 04:12 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
Standard book rate is 5.6 hours of labor...we charge $170 flat fee for that job, either springs, shocks or springs and shocks.

We can do it in around 1.5-2 man hours (around 45 minutes), but that could be from being used to that particular car and doing it over and over and over...
MRC, if you are in the SoCal area, I recommend you call Todd (DoubleWhoosh) @ TMEngineering for the job. The price is right and he will take care of your car.
Old 06-25-03, 05:16 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow a referral...thanks!
Old 06-25-03, 10:08 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I lived in California he would definately be installing all my mods Great guy to deal with. Recommend him to anyone
Old 06-27-03, 09:58 AM
MRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Neo
MRC, if you are in the SoCal area, I recommend you call Todd (DoubleWhoosh) @ TMEngineering for the job. The price is right and he will take care of your car.
Actually I use Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They are one of the best alignment shops in the USA. They are skilled perfectionists. They corner balanced my Panoz Roadster to perfection (less than 1 pound difference in cross weights). They set up most of the SCCA competition cars in the bay area, and also the high end cars: Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc.

They've done GS cars before but not a GS430. No problem, it's the same chassis. They ended up doing the job in a total of 4 hours labor without removing the rear seat. As usual the job is done to perfection. That's why I keep going back.

Incidentally, Lexus should ship all these cars from the factory with the L-Tuned setup. And they should stop using those awful Bridgestone RE030 tires. The car is totally great now.

Thanks for the replies,

Last edited by MRC; 06-27-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 12:03 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by MRC
Actually I use Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They are one of the best alignment shops in the USA.
How much did they charge you for the alignment? I am in NorCal also and will need an alignment soon.
Old 06-27-03, 12:51 PM
MRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Neo
How much did they charge you for the alignment? I am in NorCal also and will need an alignment soon.
They run $85 for each end (front vs. rear). But the cost really is no object. They are the very best and will do the job right, get it exactly how you want it, the first time. They are used frequently by SCCA members (like myself) for their competition cars and also for top end street cars. They did my Panoz Roadster and matched the cross weights to less than 1 pound. Here is their web site:
http://www.customalignment.com
BTW if you go to the "hot cars" section of their site you'll see my Panoz.
Old 06-27-03, 04:46 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by MRC
They run $85 for each end (front vs. rear). But the cost really is no object. They are the very best and will do the job right, get it exactly how you want it, the first time.
Thanks for the info. I was just looking into alternatives. When I had my L-Tuned S/S installed at the dealer, they also did an alignment. It has been about a year and a half and the alignment is still pretty good with no uneven tire wear. I just changed out the L-Tuned and lowered the car a little more so it was just time to get it readjusted.

The dealer charged just a bit less.

Last edited by Neo; 06-27-03 at 04:47 PM.