Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pedal gives feedback then goes soft

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 04:41 PM
tb13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal gives feedback then goes soft

I picked up a 99 GS300 yesterday, the car runs and drives phenomenally, but has one little issue that is kind of annoying me.

When braking from any speed, the pedal has nice feel and the car slows as it should. Once I get close to stopping, around 10-15mph, the brake pedal gives a little bit of feedback, like a pop, that I can feel then drops maybe a half an inch from where it is already depressed. I have to lay into the brakes a good bit harder to get the car to fully stop. It is constant for 9/10 times I stop.

Any ideas on what it could be? Loving the car so far, but I want to get this fixed asap!
Old 05-15-16, 06:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sticking caliper i think
Old 05-16-16, 08:11 PM
tb13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Sticking caliper i think
I don't think so, the entire car's braking is effected, not just one corner.

Today was the first day I drove it to work, 50 mile round trip, and myself and a friend of mine both noticed it makes a noise when the pedal drops. It is somewhat of a pressure release sound, like bleeding off right before I come to a full stop which explains the pedal dropping.

My main question now is are the brake boosters in these known to fail? If not I am thinking it might be the master cylinder, which also looks like the ABS assembly. If its that I have a feeling I am going to cringe at the price of a new one...
Old 07-02-16, 12:44 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tb13
I don't think so, the entire car's braking is effected, not just one corner.

Today was the first day I drove it to work, 50 mile round trip, and myself and a friend of mine both noticed it makes a noise when the pedal drops. It is somewhat of a pressure release sound, like bleeding off right before I come to a full stop which explains the pedal dropping.

My main question now is are the brake boosters in these known to fail? If not I am thinking it might be the master cylinder, which also looks like the ABS assembly. If its that I have a feeling I am going to cringe at the price of a new one...
Hey it's definitely associated with the abs pump/ master cylinder unit, I just replaced my unit due to the same exact issues. I bought a used on off ebay warranteed 180 days. But now before I even sent core back for $100 refund, the new BMCylinder unit is causing brake pedal to stick, and a slight buzz from abs pump is still there. Taking it back to mechanic on Tuesday for further diagnosing
Old 07-02-16, 01:42 PM
tb13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLova
Hey it's definitely associated with the abs pump/ master cylinder unit, I just replaced my unit due to the same exact issues. I bought a used on off ebay warranteed 180 days. But now before I even sent core back for $100 refund, the new BMCylinder unit is causing brake pedal to stick, and a slight buzz from abs pump is still there. Taking it back to mechanic on Tuesday for further diagnosing
Thats what I have concluded, I have talked to many people about the issue and they all say it is related to the BMC/ABS system. I have yet to replace mine for fear of spending $350+ on a used assembly that may do the exact same thing. I'd love to head what your finidngs are when you take it to be diagnosed
Old 07-03-16, 10:57 AM
Ztram
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend taking it over to Lexus or Toyota for a rebleed, that sounds very much like air in the lines. A lot of mechanics do not know how to bleed the GS, the brakes are a combination of pedal pressure and a set of electric pumps.
Old 07-05-16, 05:51 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ztram
I recommend taking it over to Lexus or Toyota for a rebleed, that sounds very much like air in the lines. A lot of mechanics do not know how to bleed the GS, the brakes are a combination of pedal pressure and a set of electric pumps.
Yea he said the same , also I have a faulty abs wheel sensor with the stored code which could be the nucleus of the issue. Will follow up later