Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need help guys, Brakes problem-->

Old 03-16-03, 06:55 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help guys, Brakes problem-->

Since today was a nice day I decided to paint my calipers and put on my new rotors. I took off all the calipers from the car and painted them. First problem the REAR rotors that I bought from I-rotors did not fit. They are too thick so they can't even fit in between the calipers. First question does the gs400 and the gs300 use the same exact rotors? Maybe they sent me the wrong rotors OR there measurement machine was a little off when it was cutting the rotors. NEXT problem I put everything back together and I bleeded the brakes but for some reason my the brake pedal is still SOFT. (my foot is going all the way down to the ground) The brake signal is coming on and its beeping, I am also hearing some type of vacuum sound like the brake system is refilling or bleeding itself automaticly. So right now my car doesn't have no brakes and i am clueless on whats wrong. Please any suggestions will be welcomed
Later:Jose
Old 03-16-03, 07:26 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

T o what I know the GS300/400/430 (and the IS300) use the same rotors and calipers.
Old 03-16-03, 07:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your best bet is to take it to a brake shop or the dealership and let them do it...they'll do it right the first time and if anything is wrong, they will fix it...
Old 03-17-03, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok, first of all, gs300 and gs400 has the same rotors. your new ones doesn't fit coz' your old one has been eaten up a bit, so it's thinner. you need to pull back the pistons in your rear calipers in order to fit it in

second, you probalby did a very bad job in bleeding the brakes. either something is leaking badly or there are enormous amount of bubble inside. tow the car to a shop to have them do it correctly
Old 03-17-03, 07:47 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Thanks for the advise, I just towed the car to the dealer->

I think the car needs to be bleeded properly. But as for the rear rotors they just don't fit. The pistons are all the way in, the rotors are so thick that they don't even go in a little.
Old 03-17-03, 08:06 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Default Re: Thanks for the advise, I just towed the car to the dealer->

Originally posted by SUPRA OWNER
I think the car needs to be bleeded properly. But as for the rear rotors they just don't fit. The pistons are all the way in, the rotors are so thick that they don't even go in a little.
It took me a dozen "rounds" of bleeding (all 4 corners) before we got all of the air out of Dex's lines...don't ask me why. Did you bleed in the proper sequence (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front)? Did you maintain the proper brake fluid level during the bleed process?
Old 03-17-03, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Thanks for the advise, I just towed the car to the dealer->

Originally posted by tomtnc
It took me a dozen "rounds" of bleeding (all 4 corners) before we got all of the air out of Dex's lines...don't ask me why. Did you bleed in the proper sequence (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front)? Did you maintain the proper brake fluid level during the bleed process?
yes, it's always a good idea to bleed the system again couple months after you first bleed it. reason being the brake lines (internal lines, not the ss line you see), they go up and down, left and right). so sometimes when the bubbles are stuck inside the line at some corners, they can't easily be bleeded out. but after you drive the car around for some time, they might get loose and start travelling around the car.

that's the case for my car, when i first intalled my braked it looked ok, but after 3 months i noticed there were quite a few bubble inside. brought it back, bleeded again, and boom, there you go, TONS of bubbles coming out.

now my car is solid as hell
Old 03-17-03, 06:36 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Dealer fixed the car so basicly I paid $389 to paint my calipers!!!!

The dealer had to take off all of the calipers and clean them up. They said I had brake fluid all over the place. They bleeded the car and they said 2 of the brake lines were put on improper. Oh the pain, there goes the money for my suspension install . I guess i will have to install it myself on saturday. But on a side note the calipers look good painted. Now who is selling the caliper stickers?
Old 03-18-03, 12:50 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

hee hee, you should have follow my instruction on painting the caliper (posted on my site)
leave the brake intact, just cover up with paper and saved your $384

you don't really have to remove the brake lines to change the rotor, but I guess you removed it so you can paint them outside. hee hee , once you remove the line, air gets sux in the brake system.

wasted me a whole litter of synthetic brake fluid to bleed the system the last time I opened the front brake lines. hee hee.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-18-03 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 12:57 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Thanks for the advise, I just towed the car to the dealer->

Originally posted by tomtnc
It took me a dozen "rounds" of bleeding (all 4 corners) before we got all of the air out of Dex's lines...
Please, don't mention my name and 'brakes' in the same sentence again......

Old 03-18-03, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

dex, you mean don't mention your BRAKE failure last time anymore? j/k

yes, it takes a lot of fluid if you change your lines, about 1 1/2 ltr if you want it done all
Old 03-19-03, 06:37 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default I did look at your site, and then I look at DEX site thats why I decided to take them

off and paint them.
Later:Jose

Originally posted by BananaGS
hee hee, you should have follow my instruction on painting the caliper (posted on my site)
leave the brake intact, just cover up with paper and saved your $384

you don't really have to remove the brake lines to change the rotor, but I guess you removed it so you can paint them outside. hee hee , once you remove the line, air gets sux in the brake system.

wasted me a whole litter of synthetic brake fluid to bleed the system the last time I opened the front brake lines. hee hee.