Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering rack adjustment question with pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 10:51 AM
ls400love
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering rack adjustment question with pic inside

Hey guys I've been chasing a weird problem and I believe I've narrowed it down to the steering rack adjustment hex bolt/nut. When I turn my steering wheel it is hard to do so and when I am driving the wheel does not center itself completely after making a turn. I have done ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, caster arm bushings, engine/trans/diff mounts, steering rack bushings, and an alignment. Today I jacked the car up and by hand tried moving the front wheels left and right and they were very hard to move leading me to believe that an adjustment had been made on the rack by a previous owner of the car.

Below is a picture of how the hex looks on my steering rack:

Before I go adjusting does anyone know if that is the stock position of the hex or if it has been turned? I have reviewed many old threads but it is very hard to tell the stock position of the hex in them. If anyone could take a look underneath their car for me that hasn't tampered with it and knows the stock position that would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-03-14, 01:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks like who ever had the car before you did the adjustment.. You can tell by the two lines there in the metal... there all going to look the same unless it has been moved 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch... most will be marked like yours...
Old 09-04-14, 11:27 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

this is what you need to do. loosen the lock nut. a channel lock plier will work. tighten the center hex bolt. NOT SUPER TIGHT. just somewhat tight. then loosen the hex bolt 1/5 of a turn. then tighten back the lock nut. pay attention when you tighten the lock nut. sometimes the hex bolt will move as you tighten the lock nut

does this make sense?
The following users liked this post:
KKB (10-19-20)
Old 09-06-14, 01:52 PM
ls400love
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
looks like who ever had the car before you did the adjustment.. You can tell by the two lines there in the metal... there all going to look the same unless it has been moved 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch... most will be marked like yours...
It wasn't until I took the pics that the marks became visible to me. When I was looking at it the sun was coming my direction and making things harder to see. Thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by k7q
this is what you need to do. loosen the lock nut. a channel lock plier will work. tighten the center hex bolt. NOT SUPER TIGHT. just somewhat tight. then loosen the hex bolt 1/5 of a turn. then tighten back the lock nut. pay attention when you tighten the lock nut. sometimes the hex bolt will move as you tighten the lock nut

does this make sense?
It does. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-27-14, 03:43 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping this thread - I think after playing with the adjustment in my rack that the rack guide itself may be worn - I adjusted it 2X already and the 3rd time tonight, each time it goes a little more.

The rack guide as shown in this thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-repla...ctures-215931/

Looks like an engine bearing - if it wears through the bearing surface I'm thinking it will then wear very quickly.

The next chance I get I am going to completely unscrew the cap and pull out the guide to see how it looks.

Been chasing this steering play for a while now, I am convinced it is the cause of my vibration that comes and goes. It'll be fine for a few days, even a week or more - then it'll shake at highway speeds one day.
The following users liked this post:
KKB (10-19-20)
Old 12-28-14, 10:51 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angus
Bumping this thread - I think after playing with the adjustment in my rack that the rack guide itself may be worn - I adjusted it 2X already and the 3rd time tonight, each time it goes a little more.

The rack guide as shown in this thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-repla...ctures-215931/

Looks like an engine bearing - if it wears through the bearing surface I'm thinking it will then wear very quickly.

The next chance I get I am going to completely unscrew the cap and pull out the guide to see how it looks.

Been chasing this steering play for a while now, I am convinced it is the cause of my vibration that comes and goes. It'll be fine for a few days, even a week or more - then it'll shake at highway speeds one day.
would like to see the results. looks like it would be a relatively quick check
Old 12-29-14, 03:42 PM
ls400love
Driver

Originally Posted by angus

Let us all know the results brotha
Old 12-29-14, 04:00 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested in this as well
Old 12-29-14, 04:01 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see some one has replaced the boot on your rack and used an after market clamp to secure it. the passenger side seal in these racks and boots go out all the time. does the power steering pump make any wierd noises when tuning the wheel at a dead stop. how hi does the rpm go when turning steering wheel at dead stop. alot of time failure for the return to center can be to much negative caster. with the car raised you can start the car and turn the wheel and see if you have and binding issues