Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Rack with Quicker Ratio Available?

Old 12-27-14, 08:08 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steering Rack with Quicker Ratio Available?

The GS handles remarkably well for a Lexus, but the steering ration is incredibly slow. I'm curious if there's another Toyota rack out there that would fit in the GS that would provide a quicker steering ratio?
Old 12-27-14, 08:17 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without some hefty modification, I doubt it. The only easy change I know of would be to swap out the power steering ECU with one from a sport design GS300 or one from a GS430. I believe these both will give a slightly (and I do mean slightly) modified steering response (correct me if I'm wrong guys).
Old 12-27-14, 08:19 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there's a difference between the steering weight and the steering ratio. An ECU can control the strength of the power steering assist, but cannot change the steering ratio, which is the ratio of steering wheel turns : angle of wheels turning.
Old 12-27-14, 01:05 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. The ECU will just change the weight. I wonder if a supra rack would be do-able. That's has got to be more aggressive rate, and close to the width of our GS. I guess with custom length tie rods you should be able to make it work, but it would be tough with just buying one and trying it out.
Old 12-30-14, 12:38 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The supra rack is a good bit different although visually they kinda look similar, the supra rack is infront of the engine xmember not behind like the GS, the steering shaft input section is gonna give the problem in fitment, although of course anything could be made to work with a enough determination.

The SD ECU swap can make some difference in how the steering feels but not how it works. It's really just fish oil and although can be felt, if performance is the goal the car is better off just ditching the ECU control and solenoid in the line all together. (in which if your seriously doing steering mods and rack swaps you'd be rerouting/replacing the lines and adding a ps cooler anyway)

Swapping racks could gain you less lock to lock say 3.5 turns vs 4. Which is different than getting more angle from it, it would make the car feel a bit more nible although you still got 4000lbs to maneuver behind it.

Are you looking specifically for more total angle, quicker turning vs steeering wheel input, or better feeling steering?

Do keep in mind one of the biggest reasons the GS steering feels so 'Lazy' is because of the amount of caster designed into the knuckle position, it was done intentionally since the car was more or less designed for old people and old people don't generally dart these big body cars around like people are doing with them 17 years later since the cars have become basically free. It makes the car very disconnected feeling going into turns without much feedback but increases straight line stability especially at high speed. If you straightened up the caster some you would notice a great increase in the steering response.

Ikeya Formula makes lower tension arms that are caster adjustable, but they do cost almost a grand.

A 'little bit' of extra angle is pretty easy to get with the typical spacer on the inner rod to allow it pull into the rack further before hitting the stop.