Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Do you need to add grease to the lower ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 09:32 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtsops
Hey Guys,

Bring this thread back alive. I just purchased raybestos lower ball joints and installed them. I noticed they had a grease fitting (zerk) in the box, but i just figured they would have been pre-greased... well after i installed i drove to mechanic to get an alignment done and some other stuff, and i noticed that i heard a grinding noise when i left my house while turning out of my driveway.

Sure enough, when i got to the mechanic he said that the ball joints don't come pre-greased and they are likely ruined now because i drove on them without any grease in there.

What are the chances that they need to be replaced? The mechanic greased them for me, but i can still hear some noises, but I've only driven from the mechanic's place to my home, so i don't know if i should give it a little while for the grease to penetrate.

Do you guys think i should replace them?
The zerk fitting in the box was to let you know to unscrew the little fake fitting and grease her up. anyways, have you inspected the rubber on the LBJ? does it have any type of tear or wear i would replace. if you squeeze it with your fingertips does it feel like its tight with pressure / grease?