Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can failing upper ball joints cause a safety issue?

Old 03-06-14, 04:52 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Can failing upper ball joints cause a safety issue?

My upper ball joints need replacement, lexus has told me twice now, just the other day it started to make noise going in dips and potholes, it's the first think I plan on doing after I get tires, but due to limited income at the moment it may take me a month or two to save up enough, since they're like 700 a pair.. Can my wheel collapse like if the lowers break? I know the uppers are the non load bearing ones but just don't wanna mess up my car, thanks for input.
Old 03-06-14, 06:27 PM
inspirah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think you should replace them asap. My right lower ball joint messed up when I made a small turn. Luckily I was only going 10mph... 700 a pair including install?? you can take it to local shop and have them do it for like 30 bucks each or something. Buy the ball joints from somewhere else such as rockauto or something...
Old 03-06-14, 06:34 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by inspirah
I personally think you should replace them asap. My right lower ball joint messed up when I made a small turn. Luckily I was only going 10mph... 700 a pair including install?? you can take it to local shop and have them do it for like 30 bucks each or something. Buy the ball joints from somewhere else such as rockauto or something...
I'm not talking about the lowers, those are cheaper, but you have to buy the whole upper control arm for the upper ball joints, 700 was for oem I've seen some for a lot cheaper but not really sure what brands I can trust
Old 03-06-14, 06:35 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Are you talking about the ball joints on the upper control arms? Do yourself a favor and read the "sticky" threads at the top of the thread page. Long story short....yes there is a huge safety issue. Also save yourself some money and read some DIY on replacing upper control arms. Its not that hard. My suggestion....especially considering Lexus has already warned you twice now....fix them now. Not in a month or 2. You are going to cause major damage to the rest of your car, potentially yourself, and other drivers on the road.
Old 03-06-14, 06:50 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by GsLexx
Are you talking about the ball joints on the upper control arms? Do yourself a favor and read the "sticky" threads at the top of the thread page. Long story short....yes there is a huge safety issue. Also save yourself some money and read some DIY on replacing upper control arms. Its not that hard. My suggestion....especially considering Lexus has already warned you twice now....fix them now. Not in a month or 2. You are going to cause major damage to the rest of your car, potentially yourself, and other drivers on the road.
Yes those are the ones, they dont look like they'd be especially hard to install, they're just insanely expensive, even with our discount on sewell they're like 740$, I'll just try to go to work and back until I can fix them, maybe I'll just drive on my snow tires an extra month to get this done with first
Old 03-06-14, 06:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Let me put it with way, any new aftermarket upper arm is safer than your 15 year old factory ones, especially if youve been driving on them way past their expiration date. Just replace it with aftermarket ones, or you cant wait, hope and pray nothing happens every time you drive your car, and eventually replace it with OEM ones.
Old 03-06-14, 06:57 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, just go for aftermarket. When mine were on their way out I bought SPC ADJUSTABLE upper control arms for less than half that and installed myself. Unlike the OEM ones the SPC arms will also allow you to just replace the ball joint, whereas the OEM ones you need to replace the entire arm.

This is not something you want to wait on. You can seriously f*** s*** up and put yourself at serious risk.
Old 03-06-14, 07:04 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Ok I'm definately going to buy these as soon as possible, any brands reccomended, I always see people post about moog..
Old 03-06-14, 07:13 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Go for Moog....dude go onto RockAuto.com. They have great prices. Get the moog upper control arms. They are great quality. But it is important that you do this right away man. No joke the ball joints on our cars are one of the serious issues and your wheel will literally fall off.
Old 03-06-14, 07:24 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Go for Moog....dude go onto RockAuto.com. They have great prices. Get the moog upper control arms. They are great quality. But it is important that you do this right away man. No joke the ball joints on our cars are one of the serious issues and your wheel will literally fall off.
****k, I thought that was only for the lower ball joints this whole time, lexus didn't give me any kind of warning or anything, yeah I see them on there for like 100$ I don't get why the oem ones are soo expensive, I just don't want my car to ride worse, so I get wary of aftermarket, but I will probably go moog
Old 03-06-14, 07:37 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Dude moog is an awesome product. Just as good as OEM. Almost every member on here probably goes with moog over the OEM for this particular part. Don't worry about the ride it will be just fine. Moog makes quality products that will last and rockauto.com has the best prices you will find.
Old 03-06-14, 07:46 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Dude moog is an awesome product. Just as good as OEM. Almost every member on here probably goes with moog over the OEM for this particular part. Don't worry about the ride it will be just fine. Moog makes quality products that will last and rockauto.com has the best prices you will find.
Thank you sir! This is what I wanted to know, is this something that's easy to change yourself or should I let a shop do it, I couldn't find a diy for the uppers.
Old 03-06-14, 07:51 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Screw the shop....you can do this yourself and wont take more than half hour each side including jacking up the car. Let me see if I can find you a DIY real quick...
Old 03-06-14, 07:57 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Here you go bud. First link is the youtube video....2nd link is the DIY write up. And for the future you should use the "search" option at the top of the forum page because almost anything you want to know has been answered on here before. And unfortunately a lot of members will harshly let you know you should search lol

Video

DIY Write Up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...l-arm-diy.html
Old 03-06-14, 08:09 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a link for SPC adjustable arms for $350 shipped. this will allow you to adjust camber and caster and you can buy the ball joints seperately if needed down the road.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPC-Front-Upp...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

They've recently redesigned their arms. Here's how they currently look

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can failing upper ball joints cause a safety issue?