Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 11:06 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bookmarked. Great write up. thorough.
Old 10-07-11, 09:16 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Hopefully this will help. I emailed The Mount Shop and here is what they said:

Yes you can purchase these with a Credit Card & we can send them via Fedex to you. We would need your address details first so we can work out how much it would cost to send from New Zealand to Texas, USA.

The Bushes are $70.00 each, there is no GST on that price because they will be exported to you.

Regards,

I have their info if anyone needs it.
Old 10-07-11, 09:24 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by esolo98
Hopefully this will help. I emailed The Mount Shop and here is what they said:

Yes you can purchase these with a Credit Card & we can send them via Fedex to you. We would need your address details first so we can work out how much it would cost to send from New Zealand to Texas, USA.

The Bushes are $70.00 each, there is no GST on that price because they will be exported to you.

Regards,

I have their info if anyone needs it.
Nice work! I would like their info if you don't mind, they have a bunch of other hard-to-find bushings that may fit our cars.. You can post it here or PM to me, thanks!
Old 10-07-11, 09:35 AM
esolo98
Advanced

I wasn't sure if I could post it here or not, but this is the person I was emailing.

Courtney Chapman
The Mount Shop Ltd
Ph: (09) 836-2304
Fax: (09) 836-2309
DDI: (09) 974-1746 Ext: 206
Old 10-07-11, 09:42 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by esolo98
I wasn't sure if I could post it here or not, but this is the person I was emailing.

Courtney Chapman
The Mount Shop Ltd
Ph: (09) 836-2304
Fax: (09) 836-2309
DDI: (09) 974-1746 Ext: 206
Can you post his e-mail, or PM to me?
Old 10-08-11, 01:07 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Can you post his e-mail, or PM to me?
Lyonkster, how difficult was it to get the bushing in and out? I have the same ball joint press. I torqued it up to around 90 ft-lbs and it still didn't look like it was about to budge. Don't want to break anything, so I'm asking. Did you use a breaker bar or something? Also did the clamp ride up to axle boot. I tried to push it out without the 30 mm first and the clamp was pushing but it was rotating into the axle. I then used the 30 mm to push, but it still rotated some. I don't want to damage the axle boot.
Old 10-08-11, 01:20 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

^^^ You're torquing a bushing press tool to try and remove the bushing???
Old 10-08-11, 02:40 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPromGS
^^^ You're torquing a bushing press tool to try and remove the bushing???
yes, look at the bolt in the tool (left end). as you turn the hex end, the bolt moves to the right and pushes the bushing out.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement-img6015g.jpg  
Old 10-08-11, 03:25 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by tiger4life
Lyonkster, how difficult was it to get the bushing in and out? I have the same ball joint press. I torqued it up to around 90 ft-lbs and it still didn't look like it was about to budge. Don't want to break anything, so I'm asking. Did you use a breaker bar or something?
Yeah, I'd say it was probably around 90-100 ft-lbf. I used a 24" breaker bar, so I am just estimating. You are not going to break anything (except maybe the tool), so I would not worry about it. My car is rust free, but if there is rust on your suspension, it may take a bit more umpf to get it moving. Just make sure that the back side of the clamp is not resting on the bushing, but on a receiver tube. Otherwise you are just "clamping" the bushing itself, so it won't go anywhere. Hope that makes sense.

Also did the clamp ride up to axle boot. I tried to push it out without the 30 mm first and the clamp was pushing but it was rotating into the axle. I then used the 30 mm to push, but it still rotated some. I don't want to damage the axle boot.
Looking at my first photo with the clamp in place, it looks like it may touch the axle boot. But for the left side, the torquing of the clamp tends to make it rotate down, away from the boot. If I recall correctly, I held the clamp with my left hand to keep it from moving, and torqued the bolt with my right. Once it built up some load, the clamp no longer wanted to rotate, so I put both hands on the breaker bar.

I'd offer to give you a hand if you were in SO CA like Dara is, but Louisiana is a long way away, so I hope this helps .
Old 10-08-11, 04:39 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Yeah, I'd say it was probably around 90-100 ft-lbf. I used a 24" breaker bar, so I am just estimating. You are not going to break anything (except maybe the tool), so I would not worry about it. My car is rust free, but if there is rust on your suspension, it may take a bit more umpf to get it moving. Just make sure that the back side of the clamp is not resting on the bushing, but on a receiver tube. Otherwise you are just "clamping" the bushing itself, so it won't go anywhere. Hope that makes sense.

Looking at my first photo with the clamp in place, it looks like it may touch the axle boot. But for the left side, the torquing of the clamp tends to make it rotate down, away from the boot. If I recall correctly, I held the clamp with my left hand to keep it from moving, and torqued the bolt with my right. Once it built up some load, the clamp no longer wanted to rotate, so I put both hands on the breaker bar.

I'd offer to give you a hand if you were in SO CA like Dara is, but Louisiana is a long way away, so I hope this helps .
Actually I am in socal. West Covina to be specific, I just never changed my location. I'll try again tomorrow morning. I'm doing the passenger side, so the clamp is trying to rotate into the boot. I tried to hold it with my hand as well. But it still rotated once I moved both hands to the torque wrench. I'll shoot some wd-40 on it tonight.
Old 10-08-11, 04:43 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by tiger4life
Actually I am in socal. West Covina to be specific, I just never changed my location. I'll try again tomorrow morning. I'm doing the passenger side, so the clamp is trying to rotate into the boot. I tried to hold it with my hand as well. But it still rotated once I moved both hands to the torque wrench. I'll shoot some wd-40 on it tonight.
Sounds good. You might want to start with the driver's side if you are right handed, I found it easier to work on that side for a rightie - you end up holding the clamp with your left hand and torquing with your right, plus the clamp would want to rotate away from the axle boot, all good things. Then once you get the hang of it, you can do the passenger side. Just a thought.

And not to insult your intelligence, but I have no idea of your skill level, so let me ask again - you do have a receiver tube on the back side of the clamp big enough to clear the OUTER diameter of the bushing, right?
Old 10-08-11, 04:52 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Sounds good. You might want to start with the driver's side if you are right handed, I found it easier to work on that side for a rightie - you end up holding the clamp with your left hand and torquing with your right, plus the clamp would want to rotate away from the axle boot, all good things. Then once you get the hang of it, you can do the passenger side. Just a thought.

And not to insult your intelligence, but I have no idea of your skill level, so let me ask again - you do have a receiver tube on the back side of the clamp big enough to clear the OUTER diameter of the bushing, right?
i'm kinda lazy, so i think i'll just do the drivers side since that's the one making noise. i was going to do both, but changed my mind. and yes, the receiving tube is large enough, guess i just need to use some more force. i was just worried about damaging the axle since the clamp was turning into the boot.
Old 10-09-11, 03:46 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

That would be nice! Because you have that tool to do at home, but I'll see if my dad will be able to do this for me at his workplace.
Old 10-09-11, 07:34 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPromGS
That would be nice! Because you have that tool to do at home, but I'll see if my dad will be able to do this for me at his workplace.
Autozone loans out the tool for free. They make you pay full price for it ($108), but they refund it to you when you return the tool. They take the money as a deposit in case you don't bring the tool back or break it, but you get it all back.

Autozone link (part number 27023)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=557231_0_0_
Old 10-09-11, 08:49 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Brian, how much you got the mega arms for? Are there different types or just one?

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement