Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noob coilover question.... (Megan EZ)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 09:52 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Noob coilover question.... (Megan EZ)

I had my coilovers installed professionally, but adjusted the height this weekend myself just so I could learn how to do it. Lowered my gs about 3/4 from when the coilovers were initially installed so i'm tucking tire all the way around.

I was rubbing pretty bad in the front so I had the fenders rolled this morning, but i'm still rubbing over bumps on the fender liner. I plan on cutting that out tonight at some point.

My question is, if I change the dampening settings, will that affect how much my car bounces over bumps? If so, should I go softer or harder in order to not have as much rebound? What dampening settings are you slammed g's running on EZ's?
Old 05-11-11, 10:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Well most coilovers with one-way adjustments only change rebounding force, not compression so even if you turn up the 'stiffness', you'll probably end up with the same problem. I really want to say it's your spring rates. The EZ comes with relatively soft springs. Most guys who are slammed go with stiff springs to prevent bottoming out.
Old 05-11-11, 10:09 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Would you mind explaining rebound vs. compression. Are you basically saying that I can adjust how fast/slow the shock compresses with the hard/soft adjustment, not the actual height of the shock compression, i.e. bottoming out?
Old 05-11-11, 01:41 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive always wondered what a good spring rate is for ppl who are slammed... I was thinking of going with BC coils and doing 16k/14k. Do you think that would be stiff enough or should i go stiffer?
Old 05-11-11, 01:55 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OT0814
ive always wondered what a good spring rate is for ppl who are slammed... I was thinking of going with BC coils and doing 16k/14k. Do you think that would be stiff enough or should i go stiffer?
I heard with BC you can do custom rates. I've got the Stance with the 14k and is smooth. IMO, i think between 10k - 16k is good enough with fine tuning. The Japan guys go like 20k+ rates.
Old 05-11-11, 08:24 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

Hey Hypebeast, i just ordered a pair of EZ coilovers too.. should be coming in early June. What color is your GS? Wondering if I've seen you drivin around Philly. I'm in a champagne gold its my DD..
Old 05-11-11, 08:34 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

rebound is the time in which the shock return to full length compression is the opposite on which the shock become progressive stiffer if i remember straight
Old 05-12-11, 06:58 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont know what you're doing you should've asked before you touched anything. Did you lower the coilovers from the spring bottom or the shock mount top? I don't have EZ but I do have LP's so it might be a little different.

A coilover consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it. This provides for optimal damping without torsional loads. Some coilovers allow adjustment of ride height and stiffness, using a simple threaded spring perch similar to a nut. More advanced adjustable coilover systems will use a threaded shock body, coupled with an adjustable lower mount for ride height adjustment, while an adjustment **** is used to adjust damping, commonly referred to as "stiffness." Spring rate also plays a role in stiffness.

Velocity refers to piston speed.

Compression is low even at high speed. More compression is harsher ride, so this is a relatively comfortable ride even on full stiff at high piston velocity.

Compression is how much the spring is allowed to compress (Bump) and decompress (Rebound).

Restricting the rate at which the front springs are allowed to decompress can help to increase down force and grip in the turns. The bump damping helps control how fast a car takes a set in a corner. The rebound damping helps contain that energy when the spring is trying to push the car body back up. If the rebound was too weak, you would turn into a corner and the car would keep coming back to itself and not maintain a steady state.
Just a heads up. Your springs will play a big difference but also the actual shock/coilover setup has to be finely tuned. You can ballpark this by just adjusting the height first then dampening second.
Old 05-12-11, 07:10 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by starfyrels
If you dont know what you're doing you should've asked before you touched anything. Did you lower the coilovers from the spring bottom or the shock mount top? I don't have EZ but I do have LP's so it might be a little different.
I lowered the coilovers by loosening the lowest perch (3rd perch) and then threading the coilover down into the stock body.

2 & 3:

Old 09-18-11, 04:46 PM
Mangineer
Rookie

^ That seems about right!

Sorry to hijack but I have a noob question too, can I adjust the damper adjustable **** right out of the box or do you have to lock the adjusting **** bolt? I'm so lost on this because the instructions are a little confusing
Old 09-18-11, 06:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The damper **** is independent from the spring perches. You can adjust the damper **** out of the box.