Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

question for those with rca

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 07:49 PM
vip..me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question for those with rca

so i have a 2005 gs dropped on tein cs w sage front and rear rca . my question is it normal for the car to feel like it sways form side to side? the rear is feels like its slides form side to side and the front feels loose, it rained here in htown and i was scared to drive my car on the freeway .. i searched the forum but had no luck .. also i ride pretty slamed no finger gap all the way around on g35 rims

thanks for any info
Old 12-29-10, 09:02 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the swaying has nothing to do with the RCAs.

since it was raining at the time you felt the swaying...i have to assume you were experiencing some hydroplaining....esp if your tires treads are low (balding).
Old 12-29-10, 09:34 PM
vip..me
Driver

thanks for the reply , but tires are almost new less than 2 mths of use with almost 90% thread . but the car feels like it swaying even without the rain ,the rain just made it feel 1000 times worse .. should i try replacing my lower control arm bushing ? or anything else
Old 12-29-10, 09:55 PM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I "sway' when I hit a bump but barely noticeable. When it rains I constantly feel it. I thought it was because I was so low that I lose traction.

If anyone can chime in, that would be great
Old 12-29-10, 09:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

How is your alignment? I've experienced the same phenomena in the rear and it's due to too much toe in.
Old 12-29-10, 09:56 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

if youre pretty dumped then your rear toe is most deff off.... unless youre not really really slammed but saying youre slammed to be cool

hows your alignment?
Old 12-29-10, 10:00 PM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could toe be the only reason? I am slammed on 19's, tucking rim in the rear. I probably need an alignment though. I had an alignment but went lower so everything is probably out of spec.
Old 12-29-10, 10:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

bad toe alignment does some funky stuff... i almost spun out on the freeway after i hit a bump cuz my toe angle was outta Wack... also it eats up your tires... quick...
Old 12-29-10, 10:03 PM
vip..me
Driver

just installed the rca last week so alignment def needs to be done, but i got the rca off a friends gs with pretty dialed in alignment and he said the same thing . the car felt like i skipping on the water .. will upload pics of ride height soon .. it sits pretty low
Old 12-29-10, 10:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

What does 'dialed in' mean though. I've seen lots of alignments being done and many of them are half-assed by the tech. Sure the computer shows green on the screen, but green != correct.

Either way it's probably the alignment. I have RCAs and my car doesn't feel loose at all, unless I floor it
Old 12-29-10, 10:46 PM
vip..me
Driver

by dial in i mean in spec .. alignment for all of the cars were done by southwest alignment best shop in htown . but i do need to redo my alignment since i dropped it more

Last edited by vip..me; 12-29-10 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 10:53 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
How is your alignment? I've experienced the same phenomena in the rear and it's due to too much toe in.
so i just installed my rear sage rca's 2 weeks ago and felt the same thing...loose in the rear end. I was at a very reputable shop and did a 4 wheel alignment and said my toe was maxed out and needed adjustable toe arms. now the only ones i have heard that fit are the megan is300 toe arms? does anyone know of other adj toe arms that fit? he said this would help alot. ps the toe being out of wack will eat tires like cookie monster does cookies.
Old 12-29-10, 11:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Contact the CL vendor FIGS. His toe arms are much nicer than the Megans.
Old 12-29-10, 11:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

got my car aligned last week... it was worse off than before LOL. Had the same issue when I hit a small bump... it likes to wiggle.
Old 12-29-10, 11:47 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like A LOT of you have excessive TOE OUT. The tail happiness is a typical result of installing rear adjustable RCAs without an alignment.

EXACT posted to immediately align your car when installing their rear RCAs, back when they first introduced their adjustable RCAs in 2008. They also make a STRONG recommendation in the instructions that come with their kits.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs98-05-a.html

Here's a pic of my rear drop using EXACT RCAs as a reference of how much drop can be attained and still be able to get the rear toe back in spec after adjustments were made.

Take your car to the alignment shop and see if they can get you back in spec without having to buy adjustable toe arms.

If you are dropped more than me, then you'll def need adj. toe arms.

I do not have adjustable Toe Arms with this drop using the EXACT RCAs. The OEM adjustments were able to get me in spec on my left toe and within 0.05 of spec on my right toe. Close enough.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-30-10 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: question for those with rca