Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wierd Noise From Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 08:57 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wierd Noise From Rear Axle

Hello guys,

I put in the front and rear brake fit kits and shims, and as I turned the left or right rear wheels. I noticed that there was a wierd noise coming from the axle left and right while turning the left or right wheels. What could this be? Are the bearings, or any components on the axle where it joints with the other components gone bad? I have not taken the car to the dealer to find out whether this is a normal noise from the axle or something need to be replaced. Any suggestionns guys? Appreciate all the inputs you guys provide, and I will report back whether it is a normal noise or not. By the way, have you guys come across this kind of noise while turning the rear wheels? I took off the rear wheels a lots to time, but I did not notice until today I tried to spend the wheels to check the brake after I installed them. I am greatly appreciate any inputs from your experties, guys. Sorry guys, I don't know how to upload the sound file onto the forum only the zip.
Attached Thumbnails Wierd Noise From Rear Axle-rear-left-axle.jpg   Wierd Noise From Rear Axle-rear-left-axle_2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Wierd Noise.zip (302.0 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by ivnnln; 10-15-10 at 09:05 PM. Reason: upload sound
Old 10-16-10, 01:27 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the noise like? I'm guessing it's just a normal noise from the rear diff. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-10, 10:32 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noise on mine too and Im thinking its the ABS ring coming loose.
Fun stuff!
Old 10-16-10, 11:15 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

As long as it is quite when you drive it, it should be fine.

You have a open diff. if the other wheel is not turning it will ratchet, normally the diff turns the wheel not the other way around.

...someone else may chime in with a better examination.
Old 10-16-10, 11:57 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Hi guys,

I just have it check by the dealer and it is normal. It should makes some noise as the axle gears turn. However, they found another small issue which the both rear wheel bearings is with a little play when they rock the wheels up and down. I ask them how much they will charge for replacing the bearings, they say about $800. That is a stealer, alright. I ask the parts dept. and they quote for me for $90 a piece. If any of us hear some noises coming out from the axle gear box, it should be normal as stated per stealer. Thank you for looking out and your inputs, guys. Now I have to save money either to have them fix it or tackle this job myself which I have never replace any bearing before. Hope the DIY sections cover this one.
Old 10-16-10, 12:24 PM
alexdan
Driver

Originally Posted by ivnnln
Hi guys,

I just have it check by the dealer and it is normal. It should makes some noise as the axle gears turn. However, they found another small issue which the both rear wheel bearings is with a little play when they rock the wheels up and down. I ask them how much they will charge for replacing the bearings, they say about $800. That is a stealer, alright. I ask the parts dept. and they quote for me for $90 a piece. If any of us hear some noises coming out from the axle gear box, it should be normal as stated per stealer. Thank you for looking out and your inputs, guys. Now I have to save money either to have them fix it or tackle this job myself which I have never replace any bearing before. Hope the DIY sections cover this one.
doing the bearings in the back its kinda of a challenge and specialty tools needed. Good luck with that one let us know how it turns out.

90$ per bearing its kinda of expensive. Shop around.

Did they show u personally that the wheels move around...maybe its just a suspension part..... WHEN BEARINGS ARE GONE u will know it due to a very loud noise when u drive
Old 10-16-10, 01:57 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Originally Posted by ivnnln
Hi guys,

I they found another small issue which the both rear wheel bearings is with a little play when they rock the wheels up and down. I ask them how much they will charge for replacing the bearings, they say about $800. That is a stealer, alright. .
Get a second opinion before you do anything...
Old 10-17-10, 01:24 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

No, they have not shown me for the bad bearings. they just told me when they rock the wheels up and down, and they noticed there was a little of free play on both wheels. When I put the brake kits on, I did not hear any rattle
noise coming from both wheels while I was turning them excepted the noise generated from the axle gears which was normal. I am definitely seeking anther opinions. I might go with the Exact Motor in Mipitas which about 1 HR or so of driving. I also check the DIY section and I could not find any procedure for changing the rear wheels bearings. Do any of you guys know what kind of special tools that I need to buy to tackle the task? Pl, keep the ideas coming...! Thank you so much, guys.
Old 10-17-10, 08:51 AM
FrankT
Instructor

I believe the hub needs to be removed and the spindle needs to be pressed out separating the hub bearing.

IF - there was play when they checked, I would check the suspension, like alexdan mentions.
Rare that a wheel bearing go out on its own without a impact or something and extremly rare that both go at the same time.

What is the mileage on the car?
Old 10-17-10, 06:04 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by FrankT;
I believe the hub needs to be removed and the spindle needs to be pressed out separating the hub bearing.

IF - there was play when they checked, I would check the suspension, like alexdan mentions.
Rare that a wheel bearing go out on its own without a impact or something and extremly rare that both go at the same time.

What is the mileage on the car?
It is about 154000miles on it. What are the special tools name that I need to buy or rent to do the job? Do any of us in here know the tools name? Also, how many special tools do I need? Thank you guys for keeping the ideas flow in.
Old 10-17-10, 06:12 PM
alexdan
Driver

if u search and look around the website u will find a workshop manual ....look in there

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
Old 10-18-10, 01:40 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alexdan
if u search and look around the website u will find a workshop manual ....look in there

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
Thanks for the site. I found the manual mostly for GS300. May be I can reference some of the technics to GS400. Thanks, Alexdan.
Old 01-04-11, 01:32 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping this thread to see if this may be my problem as well using the pictures with the circled area above. I installed new wheel bearings with no help. 4 sets of tires with no change. Changed rear diff fluids to Royal Purple with no change. Noise is constant, but gets a little more quite at hwy speeds. I am thinking it may be the bearing that connects the axle to the differential as in the picture above since wheel bearing did not solve my problem. Car only has 77k miles on it and noise seems to only come from the right side rear.
Old 02-10-13, 05:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Bumping this up, if there is a slight whine only when cold for like 5 minutes, is that normal, or do i have something to worry about? I do planning on changing the fluid, it has been changed once before by the dealer at 35k miles.