Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotor Re-Surfacing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 07:12 PM
drcooper23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Re-Surfacing

I was told by the Lexus dealership that I had to re-surface my rotors after 50,000 miles. I had been performing all of the preventive maintainance so why was I not directed to re-place my brake pads instead.
Old 07-27-10, 07:53 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably because replacing your brake pads and resurfacing your rotors are two different things, meant to maintain two different things. After 50k miles, it probably is a good time to have them resurfaced.
Old 07-27-10, 09:04 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had never resurfaced a rotor to tell you the truth. I also say that not to talk you out of doing it.

I just looked online and the local parts store sells the aftermarket front rotor for $41 each. How much are they charging to resurface each rotor? Did they measure the run out? I would personally be riding on the current brakes until a problem arrises and then replace all necessary parts. I guess thats why you are doing 'preventive maintainance' where i wouldn't on the brakes.
Old 08-18-10, 10:57 PM
danyeru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwesseler
I had never resurfaced a rotor to tell you the truth. I also say that not to talk you out of doing it.

I just looked online and the local parts store sells the aftermarket front rotor for $41 each. How much are they charging to resurface each rotor? Did they measure the run out? I would personally be riding on the current brakes until a problem arrises and then replace all necessary parts. I guess thats why you are doing 'preventive maintainance' where i wouldn't on the brakes.

DO NOT go anywhere and get "$41Rotors"

I just replaced my brakes all the way around with Ceramic Brakes from Autozone and got their $41 Rotors... they do NOT fit properly. you will get a slight shake in the car from 75mph+ because the Rotors have too much room to move around and therefore are not centered perfectly as the stock rotors are.... I have persuaded the Autozone manager to let me bring them back this weekend after i have the old ones machined..... which I was told you could have done for around $10 each to do at a Local Napa/PepBoys
Old 08-19-10, 10:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Unless your rotors are deeply grooved or the steering wheel vibrates during braking, I wouldn't resurface at all. Try to keep as much metal as possible for maximum heat capacity. If nothing is wrong with them right now, then it's best to leave it alone. Cutting the rotors reduces the lifespan. My OEM rotors were able to last 120k+ miles without a single resurface. I only swapped them out because I went with LS400 brakes.
Old 08-23-10, 01:15 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsteg did my brakes when we did the lower ball joints and i have never resurfaced i too am at 120k now but i still dont think i need a resurface yet probably am going to upgrade braking soon anyway
oh yah autozone rotors do suck for these types of cars
they are ok for camrys etc but i bought them one time for a legend and would never do the cheap rotors again for a heavy car warped in 2 months again nothing like oem or upgraded
I did however use 88rotors and I liked there brand I think they were brembo blanks that were slotted