Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered problem/Alignment issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 12:46 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lowered problem/Alignment issues...

so last saturday i installed the BC racing coilovers and lowered the car. I didn't even lower it that much in my opinion, especially not compared to a lot of cars on the forum. i brought it to a nice shop which had the hunter alignment machine and they basically gave me a call later in the day stating that wouldnt be able to align it properly because of the negative camber in the back and that it would be a waste and that i would still need tires yada yada yada. So I called firestone and the dude said as long as they could get it on the rack they would be able to do it, i went this morning drove all the way there and they basically said the same thing.

you dudes who are lowered, what do the shops who align your vehicles have to say about the neg camber in the rear? and also do alot of you guys run camber correction kits or anything? why wont any one align my car? is this something that you lowered guys just live with? any input would be much appreciated

ps im on stock wheels
Old 06-19-10, 12:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

They justdont know how to do it so they don't even bother to attempt it. Try the next alignment shop until u find one that can do it.
Old 06-19-10, 03:34 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

What is it that they don't kno how to do? Aren't they an alignement shop for a reason? I'm sure I could get on the lift. Do they not realize there is a camber adjustment in the rear or what?
Old 06-19-10, 06:17 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ur alignment guys are idiots. Negative camber plays a very small role in tire wear. The biggest issue is toe and caster. Go to the alignment shop and tell them to put the camber as far positive as can go and put toe and caster as close to spec as possible. The camber will be -2 or less depending on how much u r dropped and toe and caster should be within spec. I drive pretty low and my caster and toe is pretty much within spec front camber is -3.2 and rear -3.6. Find a good shop or come to NYC.
Old 06-19-10, 06:39 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn u are experiencing the same thing i was last week. i went through 3 tires in the matter of a month. i finally found a alignment shop that could do it. pm me if you want the name of the shop.
Old 06-19-10, 06:51 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Ur alignment guys are idiots. Negative camber plays a very small role in tire wear. The biggest issue is toe and caster. Go to the alignment shop and tell them to put the camber as far positive as can go and put toe and caster as close to spec as possible. The camber will be -2 or less depending on how much u r dropped and toe and caster should be within spec. I drive pretty low and my caster and toe is pretty much within spec front camber is -3.2 and rear -3.6. Find a good shop or come to NYC.
+1... especially the part in bold!!

UPSTATELEX, how far upstate are you? Maybe you can try the shop that LudeNSol finally found to get his taken care of.
Old 06-19-10, 07:11 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Dudes, this is the most unbelievable thing I ever went through with my car. I appreciate all your input. I'm in Syracuse ny. Will be in city for fourth of July weekend. Just didn't plan on bringing my car. Any more info would be great. ESP if upstategs knows anyone in Rochester that'd be closer.
Old 06-19-10, 07:17 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow syracuse is pretty far.but this is where i went Rons Service shop in peekskill ny 10566. lmk if you are going to go before hand and ill let them know.. ill make sure he hooks u up.good luck
Old 06-19-10, 09:51 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if regular car shops wont do it, go to a performance one.
i do my own alignment at work all the time. we even have a flat rack so we can do lowered cars
Old 06-19-10, 09:53 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran RCA kit to correct my camber.
Old 06-20-10, 05:50 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

What about those things being sold by figs engineering? And I should be able to get somewhat in spec currently. Yes?
Old 06-22-10, 10:56 AM
SpecProd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Ur alignment guys are idiots. Negative camber plays a very small role in tire wear. The biggest issue is toe and caster. .

This statement is incorrect.

First off, lets start with what were the readings? While some negative camber is not always harmful and is actually required in some applications that blanket statement does not cover a range. If you are 2-3* out of spec, you can bet you are going to have pre-mature and un-even tire wear.

Second, you are correct about toe, having you car out of toe spec can literally translate ( over a year) of you dragging your tire sideways on the ground for miles.

Third, Caster is an alignment/ steering angle. It is the forward or backward tilt of the upper ball joint or top of the strut relative to the lower ball joint. This will ONLY affect steering ability and how your wheel returns. Improper caster does not have a direct affect on tire wear.

As for the OP, post your specs and I ( or other members) can help you out.

Thanks!

Travis
Specialty Products / SPC Performance
Old 06-22-10, 01:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
so last saturday i installed the BC racing coilovers and lowered the car. I didn't even lower it that much in my opinion, especially not compared to a lot of cars on the forum. i brought it to a nice shop which had the hunter alignment machine and they basically gave me a call later in the day stating that wouldnt be able to align it properly because of the negative camber in the back and that it would be a waste and that i would still need tires yada yada yada. So I called firestone and the dude said as long as they could get it on the rack they would be able to do it, i went this morning drove all the way there and they basically said the same thing.

you dudes who are lowered, what do the shops who align your vehicles have to say about the neg camber in the rear? and also do alot of you guys run camber correction kits or anything? why wont any one align my car? is this something that you lowered guys just live with? any input would be much appreciated

ps im on stock wheels
Invest in a set of RCAs to correct your issue. You will be able to dial in your camber +1, +2 degrees with the popular kits available. I went with Sage RCA's for its anodized finish which is less prone to rust. Consider a kit that will survive North East road salt since you are from NY.

Good luck
Old 06-22-10, 01:52 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
What about those things being sold by figs engineering? And I should be able to get somewhat in spec currently. Yes?
You are talking about the mega arm? It does the same thing as the RCA but you will get the option to reposition your rear endlinks, fine tune the camber, and I think it's lighter or as light as the oem arm but stronger. It might be worth it to go that route.
Old 06-22-10, 04:41 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about sam. And Travis, they wouldn't even align it so as of right now I don't really have any specs. Both shops wouldn't touch it, I'm not even slammed. Barely tucking tire at all.

Quick Reply: Lowered problem/Alignment issues...