Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 04:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Front suspension noise, clunking, rattle SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 12:16 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front suspension noise, clunking, rattle SC400

Hello all,
I thought I would share my experience with the forum so that you might avoid spending more money than you may need to when chasing noise from your front suspension. I have a 1998 SC400 with about 70,000 miles.

I noticed a noise coming from my front suspension . It would occur over small bumps and irregularities in the road but not so much over gentle rises and dips. That is, it was not constant. It sounded as though something were loose. I took my car to the Lexus dealership for a diagnosis and I was told that my right strut was leaking. I was going to sell the car at that time and I did not feel right selling a car with an obvious noise. Also, the brakes were sticking somewhat and the pads were old. So I purchased four new KYB struts and four Beck Arnley remanufactured calipers, Wagner rotors and OEM pads. I installed the brakes myself and had the struts installed by a private mechanic. Much to my surprise the noise was actually worse afterward.

I went back to Lexus and was then told that my swaybar end-links were bad. They tried to tell me my strus were bad again but retracted when they saw the new KYBs. Anyway, I purchased new endlinks and installed them myself. No change in the noise. I then did some searching on this forum and everyone seemed to be pointing to lower control arms as a common source of noise. It seemed unusual that mine would be bad with only 70,000 miles but I decided to change them as well. I purchased new Supra LCA's and had them installed. No change in the noise.

At this point I had invested much more than I wanted to and selling the car was no longer cost effective. Thus, I decided to keep the car and continue hunting for the noise. I was still convinced that it was a suspension noise and I was very unhappy with the KYB's (as was my fiancee). Thus, I figured the only thing left in my front suspension that hadn't been changed were the upper control arms.

I made a deal with another private mechanic to do a major maintenance and repair. I purchased four new OEM struts, strut boots, the front upper strut mounts, motor mounts, tranny mount, Upper control arms, Daizen steering rack and sway bar bushings,new alternator, power steering rebuild kit, plugs, wires, water pump, front main seal, new serpentine belt and everything necessary for the timing belt change. All the above work was done as well as flushing of the tranny fluid and coolant and an oil change. All fluids were replaced with genuine Toyota fluids.

Both my mechanic and myself expected the noise to be gone after all this work..........well, it wasn't. However, my very astute mechaniic noticed that the noise was very loud on roads with small irregularities and even worse on the grass. However, the noise would disappear COMPLETELY when the brakes were applied....!!

Yes, the noise had been the front "floating calipers" that come stock on an SC. What is worse is that I purchased them "REMANUFACTURED" and they were still noisy. He offered to change the bracket and pins on the calipers but I had already told him that I was going to do the LS400 BBK upgrade. He assured me that the brake change would fix the noise. Well, he was absolutely correct! I installed the LS400 brakes and stainless steel brake lines yesterday and the noise is gone!!!

My car now feels like it is brand new! The steering is tight, the suspension is plush, the brakes are great, and the drivetrain is smooth and powerful! I am in love with my SC400 once again! It feels and sounds like a new Lexus!

Yes, I invested quite a sum of money but I am very happy with the outcome.

Lessons:

1.The dealer is more interested in selling you parts then diagnosing a problem.....duh! right?

2. When it comes to parts you generally get what you pay for. I will never purchase remanufactured anything again.

Lastly, if anyone of you has a noise that seems to come from your suspension and you still have the original stock front calipers...........check your brakes first!

Thanks for reading and I hope that I save some members a few bucks and a lot of aggravation.

Luis
The following users liked this post:
Dogbert22 (03-29-19)
Old 04-26-10, 08:40 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

at least its fixed
Old 04-27-10, 12:45 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have that annoying clunk, clattering loose noise up front after my coilover install. I tried numerous things and still nothing seems to help. I also did a TT BBK install and the noise still persist.. Seems like after getting an alignment it helped but after a few month of driving the problem returns.
Old 04-28-10, 12:50 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
I still have that annoying clunk, clattering loose noise up front after my coilover install. I tried numerous things and still nothing seems to help. I also did a TT BBK install and the noise still persist.. Seems like after getting an alignment it helped but after a few month of driving the problem returns.
prob your sway bar end links... after installing my coilovers, the passenger sway bar end link started making noise, it wore out... not that big of a deal other than the little clunk noise everynow and again
Old 04-28-10, 02:26 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem wen I replaced my rear struts. I never heard the clunks until after the install.
Old 04-28-10, 04:57 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

I have the same problem (lots of clunky noises) but my wheel shakes in my hands and whats worst i can't get the wheel of to inspect it because the A-hole who owned the car before me broke the head off one of the lug nuts no you just had to to put it on soo tight that it snapped off
Old 04-28-10, 07:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That was alot of reading, but I am glad you got it fixed. Never sell the SC!
Old 06-13-10, 03:29 PM
kponti
Driver

For those who get the clunking after doing a coilover/spring/shock install I think you should look into re-tightening your endlinks where it goes into your swaybars.
Old 06-14-10, 04:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem. After installing and removing the front springs, I have a clunk on both sides now and a slight steering wheel shake. I will try and retighten the sway bar links up again tomorrow. Mine were already replaced about a year and a half ago.
Old 09-19-10, 07:30 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone have any info on the caliper noise? im getting a clunk/rattle over bumps and i was thinking it was struts but now after reading this im a little leary. any way to test this?
Old 09-19-10, 08:26 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nova
does anyone have any info on the caliper noise? im getting a clunk/rattle over bumps and i was thinking it was struts but now after reading this im a little leary. any way to test this?
Don't forget to also check the more common causes of clunking issues: LCA bushings and tightening of subframe bolts.