Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bbk

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 12:45 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bbk

Getting ready to do my brake system...Consider doing BBK..What is the best brand do you guys recommend for 01-05 GS430?..I was looking at Brembo from Carson Toyota (our sponsor)..Here is another question..Do I need to change my stock wheels if I was to go BBK?...Need to see some pics if any of you had on your car...

Thanks
Old 10-29-09, 12:52 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I really don't know if there are any real MAJOR differences between Brembo, Rotora, StopTech BBK. I know they all would result in large improvements over stock brakes but assume they are probably equal when tested against one another. I am 99.9% sure that the stock wheels will not clear the calipers on any of these BBKs. The stock wheels can't even clear Supra BBK calipers. You would need spacers to clear the calipers. Then again, if you get 15" rotors and 6 pot calipers with 17" GS wheels, you may have a clearance issue of different sorts since the rotors are only 2" smaller than the actual wheels. The calipers may end up sitting up against the barrel of the wheel. I would only getting Brembo BBK or the like if I was running at least 19" wheels.
Old 10-29-09, 12:57 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I had to run 20MM spacers with my BBK to run factory wheels.
Its clears the barrel but there is not a lot of room for error.

I think Jeff has a great set for sale..
Old 10-29-09, 01:03 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I really don't know if there are any real MAJOR differences between Brembo, Rotora, StopTech BBK. I know they all would result in large improvements over stock brakes but assume they are probably equal when tested against one another. I am 99.9% sure that the stock wheels will not clear the calipers on any of these BBKs. The stock wheels can't even clear Supra BBK calipers. You would need spacers to clear the calipers. Then again, if you get 15" rotors and 6 pot calipers with 17" GS wheels, you may have a clearance issue of different sorts since the rotors are only 2" smaller than the actual wheels. The calipers may end up sitting up against the barrel of the wheel. I would only getting Brembo BBK or the like if I was running at least 19" wheels.
Thanks. Well! since I'm going to replace my rotors, I was thinking why not change the whole system..Rotors/Calipers and Steel Brake lines as well..So, what you guys are telling me is that I need to put a spacers..Is that safe?
Old 10-29-09, 05:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Which stock wheels? 16s - forget it. 17s - iffy, depending on the kit. You WILL need spacers for caliper face clearance. How big the spacers are needed will depend on the kit.

If you intend to stay with OEM wheels, I'd say paint your calipers and get slotted and/or drilled rotors to pretty them up. Otherwise, plan your new wheels with your chosen BBK in mind. Here is what 14" rotors + StopTechs look with 18s:

Old 10-29-09, 10:17 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelGs
Thanks. Well! since I'm going to replace my rotors, I was thinking why not change the whole system..Rotors/Calipers and Steel Brake lines as well..So, what you guys are telling me is that I need to put a spacers..Is that safe?
I'm running Ichiba v2 15mm spacers with extended (pressed-in studs) with Supra TT BBK and 3GS wheels. The spacers should be fine as long as you torque the bolts and lugnuts to Toyota OEM specs which is 76 lbs using a torque wrench. I wouldn't go over 80 lbs. The main thing is not to over-torque or under-torque the studs but get them to spec and you should be fine.
Old 10-30-09, 08:56 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I'm running Ichiba v2 15mm spacers with extended (pressed-in studs) with Supra TT BBK and 3GS wheels. The spacers should be fine as long as you torque the bolts and lugnuts to Toyota OEM specs which is 76 lbs using a torque wrench. I wouldn't go over 80 lbs. The main thing is not to over-torque or under-torque the studs but get them to spec and you should be fine.
Yea and strip a spacer nut like me and then have to drill out the stud with Walmart tools lmao
Old 10-30-09, 09:05 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

You have to consider the diameter of the wheel as well as the spoke clearance, so yeah, you might have to go with an aftermarket wheel, at least 18" or bigger (you should be safe with 19's), and you wouldn't be able to have a big lip for the front wheels either.
Old 10-30-09, 11:39 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

i have the stoptech 355 big brake kit which is the larger model.. they work great and makes a huge difference when it comes to stopping.
i am running a 10mm spacer to clear my wheels which are 19x9+20 in the front.
i would suggest doing a bigger wheel if you are planning on getting big brakes..
Old 10-30-09, 12:25 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about KSPORT. Those seem very economical and if you went with just 13" seems like that would clear 17 OEM wheels.
Old 10-30-09, 12:36 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
Which stock wheels? 16s - forget it. 17s - iffy, depending on the kit. You WILL need spacers for caliper face clearance. How big the spacers are needed will depend on the kit.

Here is what 14" rotors + StopTechs look with 18s:

My stock is 17" but plan on going 19" if I could I would love to do 20" without too much body mod.

Originally Posted by veritek
You have to consider the diameter of the wheel as well as the spoke clearance, so yeah, you might have to go with an aftermarket wheel, at least 18" or bigger (you should be safe with 19's), and you wouldn't be able to have a big lip for the front wheels either.
Thanks...

Originally Posted by mrkenji
i have the stoptech 355 big brake kit which is the larger model.. they work great and makes a huge difference when it comes to stopping.
i am running a 10mm spacer to clear my wheels which are 19x9+20 in the front.
i would suggest doing a bigger wheel if you are planning on getting big brakes..
I had a cross drille and slotted rotors before on previous cars. I love the way it perform but getting whole kit done is going to be tought. Reason being is that I've never done complete kit so I will need all the advise and tips as much I could before making the big decission...it feel like im getting marry...LOL
Old 10-31-09, 09:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I think Jeff has a great set for sale..
indeed....check that out joel, jeff has his front + rear BBK kits for 2k. its a great price

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...brake-kit.html
Old 10-31-09, 09:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelGs
My stock is 17" but plan on going 19" if I could I would love to do 20" without too much body mod.
19s should be fine. StopTechs and the Rotora 4-piston setups has calipers that need less spoke clearance. As you can see from mrkenji's setup, offsets are not everything. If you want to avoid spacers (at the cost of lip size), make sure you specify when you order wheels that you need a high disc application.

The 18s I had at the time was a full face (no lip) at 18x8 +45. This is very conservative (especially compared to mrkenji) but needed no spacers. The 20s I had were 20x8.5 +32 but were built for BBKs and needed no spacers either.